|View of replanted bed looking west|
|View of the same bed from the side yard patio|
Two of the 3 original Coprosma 'Plum Hussey' remain in place along the bed's outer edge. The third, which was struggling to survive, was removed and replaced with a smaller plant of the same variety, moved from the side yard border.
|The 2 original Coprosma 'Plum Hussey' bordered by Pelargonium tomentosum (peppermint geranium)|
|The smaller Coprosma, moved from a shadier bed, hasn't developed 'Plum Hussey's' striking red color yet|
Grevillea 'Bonfire' replaced the sad Acer palmatum 'Purple Ghost,' which couldn't hold up to the winds that whip through this area most afternoons. The Japanese maple was moved to the vegetable garden, where I hope it has a chance to survive.
|Newly planted Grevillea 'Bonfire'|
Four Agave 'Blue Glow' and one Hesperaloe parviflora were installed both for their looks and the possibility that their prickly leaves will deter the raccoons from digging in the area in their relentless search for grubs.
|Agave 'Blue Glow,' still relatively small|
|Hesperaloe parviflora (aka red yucca)|
To complement the gray-foliage of the Hesperaloe, I added Festuca 'Elijah Blue,' tiny cuttings of succulent Senecio mandraliscae, and pink-flowering Cistus x scanbergii.
|Cistus x skanbergii|
We raised the height of the wall that borders one length of the bed to reduce its slope and support the additional soil amendments I added. I replaced the mass of gray Helichrysum petiolare that previously occupied that space with 5 Pennisetum setaceum 'Fireworks' and 2 varieties of Rhipsalis. The Helichrysum did well in the location but it wasn't particularly interesting.
|Pennisetum setaceum 'Fireworks' is reputed to be smaller than the standard variety|
|Five plants line the top of the wall|
|This was labeled 'mistletoe cactus' - my best guess is that it's Rhipsalis baccifera aka spaghetti cactus|
|This one was labeled Rhipsalis salicornioides, aka dancing bones cactus|
I moved 3 Hemerocallis 'Spanish Harlem' here from the front yard borders to pick up the red tones of the Coprosma and the Pennisetum. There's less late afternoon sun in this bed but I hope it will be sufficient to keep 'Spanish Harlem' blooming as I love this daylily's flowers.
|These evergreen daylilies are a little sad at the moment as I cut them back prior to transplanting|
|Here's a reminder of what 'Spanish Harlem' looked like in full bloom|
Unfortunately, the Agaves are still small and aren't yet up to the challenge of keeping the raccoons at bay. The little monsters dug up a few of the smaller plants and pawed around the base of the Grevillea. I've put down more animal repellent and temporarily caged the Grevillea for its own protection until it's well-rooted in its new location.
|Grevillea wearing a tomato cage|
Work continues on the denuded front lawn area, as well as a small bed dug out of the lawn in the backyard. My lawn removers left a lot of grass roots behind, as well as much of that nasty plastic netting embedded in the sod laid by the former owners. My husband and I are in the process of clearing out what we can before hauling in supplemental topsoil and soil amendments. It may be quite some time before I'm ready to plant the front area but, impatient as I am, those grass roots need to go and the soil, pure clay in one area and nothing more than decomposing rock in another, needs work.
All material © 2012-2014 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party