It's been another busy week in my garden. I addition to collecting rainwater on Monday, I addressed a host of small projects.
Last weekend, I scrambled to get more plants in the ground in advance of of the rain predicted to reach us on Monday.
|I also finally got 2 more Phylica pubescens (aka featherhead) planted in this area around the corner from the plants shown in the prior photo|
The rainstorm forced me to face up to the fact that the two Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' shrubs in my front garden have gotten too big and required more aggressive pruning.
|This photo was taken as part of my wide shots post in early October. It shows the two shrubs on either side of the path leading to the front door. When they were laden with rain, they hung over the path, nearly touching one another.|
|I've only tackled one so far. It was more of a workout than I'd expected.|
|This is an "after" shot of the shrub I pruned. I'd estimate I reduced the size of the plant by about a third. I'll probably tackle the second shrub next week.|
|I saved a few stems of the Leptospermum to fill a vase|
I also worked on overhauling my cutting garden, starting with removing several dahlias to make room for my cool season floral "crops." I'll store dahlia tubers 'Break Out' and 'Summer's End' as well 'Akita', 'Enchantress', 'Gitt's Crazy', 'Iceberg', and probably 'Kogane Fabuki' and 'Waltzing Matilda' when I get around to pulling those plants. I've already dumped 'Cafe au Lait', 'Cafe au Lait Royal', 'Loverboy', and 'Magic Moment', and I expect to jettison '(Not) Penhill Dark Monarch' and 'Mystic Illusion' as well. 'Cafe au Lait' is worth another try but something had clearly infected the plant I bought as a potted specimen and, on the chance that the tuber itself might be infected, I'd rather start fresh. After clearing space in two of my raised planters, I got busy sowing seeds and planting other bulbs.
I worked on a small section of the front garden that was in need of a refresh too.
|This is a "before" shot of the area in question, a bed along the pathway that leads down into the area containing my lath house|
|This is the "after" shot. I pulled 2 lavenders that had struggled here, as well as the large multi-stemmed Aeonium arboreum that had served as a filler, and relocated the small Phlomis purpurea I'd planted 18 months ago to serve as a focal point. In their place, I popped in 2 Aloe 'Moonglow' divisions given to me in September by Denise of A Growing Obsession.|
|I left a bucket of Aeonium arboreum cuttings and 9 massive Amaryllis belladonna bulbs removed from the back border for interested neighbors. The Amaryllis bulbs had produced lots of offsets.|
All material © 2012-2021 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party