This week's arrangement started with Graptoveria 'Fred Ives'. The plant had become very leggy so I didn't feel bad cutting one of its longest stems. After its performance in the vase, I'll give it a fresh start in the garden.
|The somber side of the arrangement|
Then I added a lot of Graptosedum.
|The lighter side of the arrangement|
I filled in with a few other succulents.
|Arrangement viewed from above|
I cut some Aeonium arboreum but they took up too much room in the vase so I returned them to the garden. In our climate, they don't need much help to root and form new plants.
|This mass started from one stem, a housewarming gift from a friend's garden, and has served as the nursery for Aeonium used elsewhere in my garden|
I considered using Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' as colder weather has turned it pretty shades of orange and red but I didn't want to deal with the toxic sap that weeps from the cut stems so I let it be.
|The Euphorbia, shown here growing in a strawberry pot, begs to be noticed this time of year|
Here's what I did include:
This time, I wired only a few of the smaller succulents. Most had stems long enough to support themselves. The arrangement sits on the dining room table in an empty basin without water or soil.
|The other 3 sides of the vase|
Visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see what she and other gardeners have created using materials on hand this week.
All material © 2012-2015 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party