Friday, March 1, 2024

I've got the blues

As any regular reader of my blog knows, I have a pronounced affection for flowers.  I'm especially fond of blue flowers.  I'll grow - or at least attempt to grow - any plant known to produce blue blooms.  As spring gets started, the blues have started to accumulate.  Here's a look at what currently has me singing (about) the blues:

After failing with other bugloss species, I tried Anchusa capensis 'Blue Angel' based on a recommendation by blogger Phillip at Dirt Therapy.  I've got just one plant but it's done well enough to encourage me to plant more.

The blue Anemone coronaria are prolific this year.  I ordered 'Lord Lieutenant' bulbs but I'm not sure that's what I got; however, I'm happy with the flowers in any case.

This is Aristea major, which is much brighter when viewed in person.  I've difficulty capturing the true color of most blue flowers with my camera.

Campanula portenschlagiana is just getting started

Ceanothus arboreus 'Cliff Schmidt' on my back slope is a challenge to photograph because it sits on our property's border and I can't get far enough away on our side of the line to get a good shot.  The tree-sized plant is hidden behind a lemon tree on our side, backed up by a neighbor's fence on the east side, and drops off sharply into another neighbor's property on the south side.

This is a closeup of a noID Ceanothus that came with the garden.  It was grown as a hedge about one foot away from the Xylosma hedge that runs the full length of the back garden.  There were several of these same Ceanothus growing in the front garden (a foot away from another Xylosma hedge).  Those plants died back suddenly a few years after we moved in and we removed them - or thought we did.  After 2 years of good rain, I've seen signs that 2 of the shrubs are attempting a comeback.

This is one of 3 Echium handiense I've grown from cuttings

I grow several Felicia aethiopica sub-shrubs in the back garden

Ipheion uniflorum (aka spring starflower and Mexican star) is a very pale blue

I planted 5 varieties of sweet peas in my cutting garden but only one is blooming so far and I can't say with certainty which one it is.  My best guess is that it's Lathyrus odoratus 'Mermaid's Dream'.

Lavandula multifida (aka fernleaf lavender and Egyptian lavender) blooms year round

Not flowers but the berries of Mahonia x media 'Charity' put on a better show than the flowers anyway

Top row: Osteospermum '4D Pink' has a purple-blue center
Middle: O. '4D Silver'
Bottom: O. 'Purple Spoon' and O. '4D Violet Ice'

Pericallis hybrids (aka cineraria), grown as annuals. The true blue varieties on top were included in a mix of plugs, most of which were blue.  The one on the bottom is Pericallis hybrida 'Magic Salmon', a favorite of mine.

I've a lot of prostrate rosemary (now classified as Salvia rosmarinus), all of which is blue even if it looks white in photographs

NoID Scaevola and Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum', both best viewed in closeup

Top: Viola 'Sorbet XP Neptune'
Bottom: Viola cornuta 'Penny Peach'



If my records from prior years can be relied upon, many more blue flowers can be expected to show up by the end of March.  These are likely to include some of the brightest blues: Delphiniums, Iris douglasiana, Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Blue', Limonium perezii, and Scilla pervuviana.


Before I exit for the weekend, I'll share a few of the white flowers that are currently putting on a good show as well:

My ornamental pear tree (Pyrus calleryana) finally bloomed

The white Freesias (left) are well ahead of the blue ones this year,  The Osteospermum '4D White' (right) are off to a very good start.



Have a great weekend!


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

 

21 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of blue flowers, too. Yours are looking wonderful. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. I hope the coming rain is helpful, not harmful.

      Delete
  2. True-blue flowers are hard to find. I often find many "blues", while still gorgeous, slides a bit into purple and violet categories. Your noID Ceanothus is a perfect example of a true, sky-blue flower, and what a surviver! It died, dug out, and two years later making a comeback: I love that heroic survival effort. I bet it gets to stay :-D
    Anchusa capensis 'Blue Angel' also appears really blue on my computer: excellent recommendation from Philip.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lump the purples in with the true blues. I did remove some flowers that veered too far in the direction of magenta and violet ;) Oddly, some plants, like the Aristea, read more blue to my eyes than they appear in my photos, where the streaks of purple in the flowers, barely discernible to my eyes, show up more clearly.

      Delete
  3. And here I thought you had the blues because you were stuck indoors due to rain. That's definitely where I'm at. I love mahonia berries, the range of colors at any given time just gets me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain has just been flirting with us of late, Loree. The last so-called storm delivered a whopping 0.02/inch of rain. The next one, expected to move in this evening, is currently projected to deliver only a quarter inch before it's gone, although forecasters were hedging their bets again this morning. In any case, I've got my succulent bed renovation on hold for the near term as there's yet another currently puny-looking storm projected for the middle of next week.

      Delete
  4. I'd love some blues to go with all of my white. Sigh. Blue's do show up nicely in damp and cloudy weather. Thanks for the lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing all that white is snow, Elaine? I hope there are blue skies and blue flowers coming for you in the near future!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, blue! You have a great array. Was wondering if Anchusa would grow here.

    Love that 'Cliff Schmidt'--must find one--there's space....somewhere.

    A little rain wouldn't hurt this weekend. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Anchusa capensis is the first one to survive here, HB. I got mine from Annie's.

      I made a quick stop by my local garden center after dropping my husband off late this afternoon to pick up his truck after having it serviced - the garden center staff were covering all their smaller outdoor plants indicating they believe rain is coming!

      Delete
  6. So many flowers! I love blue flowers too; you might remember my recent vase of hydrangeas and lavender. I am now wondering if you will have a "blue" themed vase on Monday. ;) The Aristea major really caught my eye, it is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might see another blue vase on Monday, Jo, although I've been cutting the blue anemones and sweet peas on a regular basis just for myself. I've got a small posy sitting by my computer right now ;) Unfortunately, the Aristea stems don't make great cut flowers as the florets close under lower light conditions indoors.

      Delete
  7. Che bello! Molte delle tue piante sono presenti anche qui come il Pyrus e le anchuse. Gli ipheion mi hanno colpito, ne ho molti in giardino ma vedo che crescono benissimo anche li! L'Aristea invece cresce solo vicino ai laghi, dove sono io è troppo freddo! Peccato perché è bellissima! Complimenti!

    Buona giornata.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabriel! I understand that Ipheion is native to South America so it its migration here was probably inevitable. So far, I have only gotten Aristea inaequalis to bloom here - Aristea major stubbornly refuses to bloom :(

      Delete
  8. I am glad you are trying the bugloss and I hope it does well. And I hope mine is still there if spring ever arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of ordering a couple more 'Blue Angels', Phillip. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  9. I always am down for Pericallis. There is something so vividly, hauntingly blue about them that always captures my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish the Pericallis developed taller stems! The local garden centers formerly offered taller varieties in a range of colors but I haven't seen those in years. Annie's does sell one (advertised as Senecio stellata) that's supposed to grow taller but it seems to be available in a limited color range.

      Delete
  10. An understandable affection, Kris. You have a great collection, too! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never have enough blue-purple flowers, Eliza!

      Delete
  11. Your Anchusa should seed itself. Mine does.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.