Monday, March 4, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Spring is off to a bright start

Even though our daytime temperatures are back in the mid-50sF (that's cold for us!), I can feel spring advancing its pace.  I've already found buds on some species tulips.  I thought that seemed early but, when I looked back at my records, I discovered that the 'Lady Jane' tulips flowered in late March in 2023 and mid-March in 2022 so it appears my plants are right on target despite our rainy season's slow start.

In spring, I'm often tempted to cut everything in sight; however, I'm trying to slow down a bit and enjoy the season as it unfolds.  My first arrangement this week celebrates the red and white anemones in my cutting garden.

Catching Anemone coronaria 'Rosa Tigrato' at the right time has been a challenge.  Two of the flowers included in this arrangement are a bit past their prime whereas 2 others may have been cut too soon.

I used 3 stems of Calliandra haematocephala (aka red powder puff) to dress up the back of the vase

Top view

Top row: Alstroemeria 'Inca Lucky' and 2 Anemone coronaria 'Rosa Tigrato' at different stages of bloom
Middle: Calliandra haematocephala, Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey', and red Freesia
Bottom: white Freesia, Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite', and Lobelia laxiflora


The white and yellow Freesias are blooming in large numbers at present so I decided to focus an arrangement around them rather than using them as accessories to other, bolder flowers for a change.

The flowers are all Freesias and Narcissi

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', white Freesia, yellow Freesia, noID Narcissus, and noID tazetta-type Narcissus


I cut flowers for a third tiny vase to enjoy at my desk just because I couldn't help myself.

Deep blue Anemone coronaria and noID purplish sweet peas.  I planted 5 different varieties of Lathyrus odoratus, 2 of which were mixes.  My guess is that this is one cultivar from one or another of the 2 mixes but I can't put a name to it.  Nor can I explain why none of the other cultivars within the mix are blooming.


We had low expectations for last week's storm but we received more rain than was forecast.  Another storm is on the horizon for mid-week and I'm hoping for a little more than is forecast there too, although not so much as to cause any more flooding or landslides in California.


For more IAVOM posts, check in with Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


26 comments:

  1. Oh, these are really pretty. Love the cheery yellow. We really got a dumping of rain over the weekend, I'm ready for the warmer temps coming next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you got a lot more rain than we did, Tracy. Although it was more than was forecast, the storm delivered less than half an inch here.

      Delete
  2. With so many different types of flowers I can quite see that you ended up with that pretty vase of purples including sweet peas. That is my favourite this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying the simple desktop arrangement too, Noelle. The backlighting shows off the anemones' petals.

      Delete
  3. I actually gasped when I saw the first vase: so beautiful. Anemone coronaria 'Rosa Tigrato', even if a bit past prime - or maybe because of it, look like a water color painting! Wow.
    Oh, sweet pea! I'd carry it in a small vase from room to room :-D The scent is heavenly.
    In Seattle we are longing to see temperatures RISE to the 50's. Any day now... please...I'm so ready.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often as my husband and I've talked about the moving to the PNW, I'm not sure how well I'd adjust to the winter weather you live with, Chavli.. I was born and raised in SoCal so I consider temperatures in the 50s cold. My mother used to chide me about being too far removed from my Scandinavian heritage (even though she herself complained about our "cold" temperatures in her later years).

      Delete
  4. Freesia flowers and Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' foliage are a match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Cousin Itt' has tiny flower buds again this year. It'd be a nice touch if its flowers developed before the Freesias were done for the season but I'm guessing it'll be at least another month before the Acacia buds become tiny pale yellow puffs.

      Delete
  5. OMG, I love them all! So beautiful, Kris. 👏🏼 💖 Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely dramatic especially the first one. All that yummy yellow screams spring here. 70 degrees here today...so out of whack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your temperatures are higher than ours, Donna! We're still in the mid-50s today.

      Delete
  7. Super pretty, and the freesias must have a beautiful fragrance. --hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet peas are actually carrying more scent than the Freesias, HB. Of course, that may be because my home office is warmer than the front entry where the bulk of the Freesias are.

      Delete
  8. Love the Freesias Kris. I've never had any luck with them. And the vase of reds is swoon-worthy, especially that anemone. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freesias are native to the Cape area of South Africa, which has a Mediterranean-type climate just as coastal California does, Susie. I suspect your part of the country is just too cold and wet for them.

      Delete
  9. I can see why your anonymous reader gasped when they saw the first vase - the in-your-face brightness really does take your breath away, and although the spring celebration continues with the second vase it does so in a more subtle way, whilst the soft blues in the final vase provide a gentle reassurance that spring really is in the offing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can declare that spring is already here even if it's a little colder than we'd like, Cathy. Southern California is usually fast out the gate on that score.

      Delete
  10. Stunning, just stunning--all of them! Your weather is similar to ours right now, which is very warm for us in early March, and we've had some days in the 60s and even low 70s in late February and early March. Strange. El Nino and climate change effects, I guess. I'm glad we've both had some beneficial rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. It seems a long time since we've had temperatures in the 70s but at least we've climbed back into the low 60s!

      Delete
  11. That first vase is fantastic, Kris--somehow it makes me happy just looking at it. :) I love the play of white and red between Anemone coronaria "Rosa Tigrato" and Alstroemeria "Inca Lucky". And why, oh why, have I never heard of Lobelia laxiflora?! It's going on my must-have list immediately, especially as San Marcos Growers list it as native here in southern AZ, albeit at higher elevations than my garden.
    I'm glad to hear you got some rain without the weather getting too violent there. We're also hoping for a bit more moisture late in the week. I've been using my collected rainwater pretty freely lately so I have my fingers crossed for a refill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Due to lower-than-usual temperatures and higher humidity, evaporation isn't drying my garden as speedily as normally the case but one of my collection tanks is still empty, so I'm looking forward to a refill too, Amy. I hope you find the Lobelia! It spreads by rhizomes so, once you have it, you should have a decent chance of holding on to it.

      Delete
  12. The red powder puffs made me smile! I love those big anemones Kris and have bought myself one for a pot this spring which has turned out to be a deep pink. The narcissi and freesias are a heavenly combination - perfect for a spring vase. I bet they smell lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anemones are a mixed bag here, Cathy, although the blue ones are putting on a particularly good show this year!

      Delete
  13. I'm the one who's a tad late to the party this time, Kris, but I am so glad I didn't miss it altogether! I love the flowers you have chosen for your vases this week so much, and I especially love the vase you chose to display your mostly red arrangement. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. Like flowers, I never seem to have enough vases ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.