Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Striking Succulents

After all the rain we've had this month, my succulents are looking squeaky clean.  I thought it's a good time to show off some of those that don't get regular coverage (although some of those that do may have crept in here and there).

This pot contains Aeonium 'Jolly Green', a low-growing variety, and Graptosedum 'Vera Higgins', showing off the copper color it develops under cool conditions

These are all 'Sunburst' Aeoniums but the 2 on the left have been growing in a pot in partial shade for years while those on the right are planted in the ground in full sun.  What's most interesting are the variations in the color of the 2 on the left.  Note that the yellow and green stripes in the 2 rosettes are reversed.

'Velour' is probably my favorite Aeonium.  They need at least partial sun to develop that red color.

Agave americana mediopicta 'Alba' is looking far more striking now that it's been liberated from the embrace of the overgrown Agave 'Blue Flame' we removed last month.  When I looked closely at this photo, I realized it's also up to its old tricks with a new pup tucked under a leaf on the left.

I planted 2 Agave attenuata 'Ray of Light' (in different sizes) in October 2021.  I wasn't overly impressed with them at first but their variegation is more pronounced now.

I love the colors of Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor' but  these plants are sneaky and prolific puppers.  You can see yet another new pup developing on the far left of this photo.

I planted Agave 'Mr Ripple' from a 4-inch pot at the back of my south-side succulent bed in July 2016, where it was largely hidden and seldom noticed.  With last month's cleanup of that bed, I'm admiring it much more often. 

The elimination of large clumps of Aeonium 'Kiwi' from my north-side garden in January provided a clearer view of Agave pygmaea 'Dragon Toes' (left).  At some point, the plant had produced a good-sized pup on the other side of the gravel path (right).  The pup of the dwarf agave is crowded by the larger Agave capensis so I may transplant it into my garage area succulent bed when it's ready for replanting.

Speaking of plants that need to be moved, I think both of these fall into that category.  Neither appears on my spreadsheet but they may be varieties of Agave titanota.  The one on the left is small and will be easy to move.  The one on the right, with an attached pup, is going to be much harder to remove from under a large Agave 'Blue Glow' without blood being shed.

I couldn't resist including a shot of this renovated area of the north-side garden featuring Agave ovatifolia 'Frosty Blue', A. applanata, and A. pygmaea 'Dragon Toes' surrounded by other succulents
 
One of several Aloe striata (aka coral aloes) in my garden finally starting to bloom

Cotyledon orbiculata, one in a pot and another in the ground.  These plants glow in the garden.  I think I need a few more.

Pot containing Echeveria 'Violet Queen' accompanied by Crassula perforata and Sedum 'Little Missy'.  I love the bright pink edges of the Echeveria.

I made the mistake of planting one Faucaria tigrina in the ground.  They're much happier in pots.

This clam shell I planted with succulents in November 2022 has been very satisfying.  Gonialoe variegata is currently getting ready to bloom.  Last year, Oscularia deltoides bloomed with lavender flowers.  Other elements include Cotyledon orbiculata and Graptoveria 'Fred Ives'.

I planted this pot on steel legs a year ago with Graptopetalum pachyphyllum, G. paraguayense, Graptoveria 'Fred Ives', and Sedum 'Little Missy'
'Aztec King' has become one of my favorite Mangaves.  I've got one in a pot and 3 in the ground.

Mangave 'Crazy Cowlick'

Mangave 'Night Owl'

Mangave 'Pineapple Express'

2 of several 'Red Wing' Mangaves

This mix of Mangaves in my north-side garden includes 'Lavender Lady', 'Purple People Eater', and 'Silver Fox'

Another mix of Mangaves at the back door includes 'Aztec King', 'Falling Water', and 'Praying Hands'



There are small succulents scattered here and there but I've mainly used them as fillers so they don't stand out as well as the larger plants except when used in pots.  As I renovate my garage area succulent bed, I plan to use more of the smaller succulents in larger groups to boost their impact.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


19 comments:

  1. Swooning over the silver-blues around 'Frosty' and that clamshell looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that clamshell arrangement has performed so well - I wasn't sure what to expect from it when I put it together.

      Delete
  2. I love variegated leafs, so no wonder I became a little obsessed when I saw 'Sunburst' Aeoniums. At first I thought you had a mutations of some sort... then I searched online for Aeonium with revers variegation. I found a couple of those, named (appropriately) 'Starburst' and 'Moonburst'. Now I wonder if one of those cuties snuck into your shopping basket at some point.
    That aside, the Agave americana 'Alba' vignette (photo 4) is amazing. I love those shades of blue with the dark Aeonium in the background. That same color combination makes Mangave 'Night Owl' in the blue pot stands out to me as well.
    The clam shell planter: awesome!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the 'Moondust' Aeonium too, Chavli. Interestingly, that rosette is connected to the same plant stem as the yellow version shown in the photo (as well as a second, smaller rosette outside the photo's frame)! Although 'Moondust' is described online as a "hybrid," I wonder if it's a naturally occurring one. In any case, my plan is to cut it and try to propagate it :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful succulents, the rain has really refreshed everything. I quite like that Mangave 'crazy cowlick'. The Cotyledon orbiculata really stands out with that beautiful color. My sun vs. shade Aeoniums look identical to yours, it's fun to see the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Chavli pointed out, there are references online to a 'Moondance' Aeonium hybrid like the "mutant" 'Sunburst' I referenced in my second photo. I'm speculating that it may be a naturally occurring hybrid. It's the only one I've found among mine, although my 'Sunbursts' vary quite a bit in terms of the amount of yellow they show.

      Delete
  4. That clamshell planting is fantastic, the right pot/plant combo for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad the prior owner didn't leave more giant clamshells behind! They're relatively expensive to buy.

      Delete
  5. Many beautiful succulents, all looking great. Gonialoe variegata especially! That's been a fussy one here. Many very fine Mangaves as well.

    Everything seems to be waking up in this garden. I guess Spring will spring soon, though I hope for more rain (as always). The storm this weekend is looking more promising. --hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a few days of almost warm temperatures, it's looking as through we're sliding into a somewhat colder pattern as the storm slated for Friday-Saturday moves in. We got only 0.02/inch from the last system and this next one doesn't look as though it'll deliver much if it comes through at all. (I'm seeing at best a 44% chance of rain on Saturday for my location.) But the storm system's expected to deliver a healthy amount of snow in the Sierras so that's good! I see there's yet another storm possible Wednesday-Thursday next week but it's still in the "iffy" category. Nonetheless, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. A great post. Often the smaller succulents get missed but they are so attractive in their own right. Keeping them in pots is a great way to arrange them so they don't get lost. The 'Frosty's' are looking fantastic. You must be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the newest Agave 'Frosty Blue' (not featured in this post) is still dinky, Elaine. It'll be several years before it develops some substance but at least I have one mature 'Frosty Blue' and 2 of its cousin 'Vanzie'.

      Delete
  7. Who knew that succulents could be so varied in colour?! I especially found the reversed colours of the 'Sunburst' Aeoniums particularly interesting. The contrasting colours of the 'Violet Queen' are lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aeonium 'Sunburst' is itself a hybrid (a mix of Aeonium decorum and A. undulatum) and I've noticed that the amount of yellow in the rosettes vary. The amount of sun they get is probably a factor but I'm wondering if 'Sunburst's' coloration is unstable and 'Moonburst' is just a natural hybrid of it. The World of Succulents site, the largest directory of succulents I know of, says 'Moonburst's' parentage is unknown.

      Delete
  8. The stress of having so many Quadricolor pups seems to much for any one gardener to bear (winky emoji face). If I lived closer, I would be more than happy to help remedy that problem by making them disappear. I really like the form and color of your Night Owl mangave. By far, my favorite, followed closely by Crazy Cowlick, Purple People Eater, and Pineapple Express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever find yourself down this way, I'll be glad to hand-off any 'Quadricolor' - or 'Alba' - agave pups I might have on hand, Jerry. They'e always popping up somewhere! Your climate might keep them under control ;)

      Delete
    2. Ha! That it would! I think they would have to be dedicated pot plants to survive very long here.

      Delete
  9. They are all looking splendid and very happy! A striking collection, beautiful! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The succulents look their very best after a couple of rainstorms.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.