Wednesday, March 27, 2024

My plant shopping objectives

I don't like to see large bare spots in my garden and, as there are a lot of those at present, finding suitable plants to fill the gaps is the main driver behind my current plant shopping expeditions.  That's not to say that I don't buy plants at intervals year-round.  I'm a sucker for attractive foliage and the promise of pretty flowers so I'm frequently guilty of buying plants I don't "need" or even have an obvious place to put.

Last Friday afternoon, I headed to Deep Roots in Manhattan Beach.  I used to drop in there fairly often when we lived closer.  Even now it's only fifteen miles away but the trip took over forty minutes, such is the state of traffic in LA's South Bay.  My goal was to find a Leucadendron or some other drought-tolerant shrub with foliage to soften the succulent bed I'm renovating.  Deep Roots has been a good source of such plants in the past.

Overview of the south end of the garden center from the upper parking lot.  I found that Deep Roots still has a nice selection but, like a lot of garden centers in the post-pandemic era, container sizes are much larger and prices are correspondingly much higher.


I dismissed some beautiful plants because they were just too much of a departure from the specifications I had in mind.

I passed by a display of nice Euphorbias paired with splashy Anigozanthos, a very expensive Banksia, and a beautiful Loropetalum that was too pink, too large, and not sufficiently drought-tolerant


I more seriously considered other plants.

My only real objection to Euphorbia 'Miner's Merlot' (left) was that it was sold in a very large pot and priced higher than I'd like to pay for an experimental run.  Leucadendron 'Ebony' (middle) was the only member of the genus I found in a 1-gallon pot but, because it's a coveted variety, it was pricey and I have one 'Ebony' already.  The new-to-me Leucadendron 'Startreuse' (right) appealed to me but I prefer not to start with plants in 2-gallon containers and its price made me swallow hard.


Although I ended up passing on all three of those options, I checked out succulent plants while I was there.  They have a nice selection but I generally consider their succulent stock on the expensive end of the spectrum.

Top: Mangave 'Center of Attention' and Agave bovicornuta 'Holstein'
Middle: Mangaves 'Bedhead', Silver Fox', and 'Mayan Queen'
Bottom: Mangaves 'Mayan Queen', Falling Water', 'Lavender Lady', and 'Kaleidoscope'
Can you believe I have at least one of all of these except the agave?

Clockwise from the upper left: planted containers, Aloe striata, Dudleya, and Cereus forbesii 'Spiralis'.  The last was priced at $80.


I even strolled through the indoor plant displays.

I'm always tempted by orchids but even the Cymbidiums on a 50% off sale (which didn't include those shown in the lower right photo) were very pricey.  I didn't even look for a price on the Zamioculcas 'Black Raven' on the lower left.


I ended up taking home three 'Violet Queen' Echeverias in four-inch pots and an Anigozanthus (aka kangaroo paws).  Neither really fit the specs I had in mind.  However, I've got two other 'Violet Queen' Echeverias in a pot I love and I'd told myself I should pick up more if I had a chance.  They're probably a bit delicate for my new space but they'll fit someplace!  With respect to the Anigozanthos, I came across plants in the Bush Gems Celebration collection two years ago and, although stunned by their unusual colors, I passed on them, only to regret that later.  Even though I couldn't envision it in the renovated succulent bed, I couldn't bring myself to pass on it again.  So now the question is: what do I do with it?

Closeup of the flower.  The pot was only labeled "Anigozanthos Celebration," which is a term applying to all the varieties in the Bush Gems collection.  However, I looked it up online and I think this one is known as 'Masquerade'.  The plant grows about 18" tall and 16" wide and, depending upon who's consulted, can tolerate full sun or needs partial sun.


I carried the plant around my garden to conduct tryouts in different settings.

This spot along the walkway bordering my north-side garden has a vacancy, gets morning sun, and is backed up by Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite', which plays off the reddish-pink in the Anigozanthos's flowers.

This spot is at the back of the south-side bed facing the dirt path that only I and the gardeners that trim our hedges use.  It gets almost full sun and has lots of open space while I wait for the baby Agave ovatifolia 'Frosty Blue' to grow up.

This spot is on the west side of the south-side garden next to a Callistemon 'Hot Pink' (not yet flowering) and several Cistus.  It gets good sun but I'm concerned the Anigozanthos may be too small to show up well against the larger plants.

This spot is in the south side of the front garden next to the flagstone path.  It's backed up by a Pennisetum 'Rubrum' (past due for its annual buzz cut), a Centaurea 'Silver Feather', and an infant Lepechinia fragrans.  All those surrounding plants can get big so the Anigozanthos could get swamped.

Then I asked myself if the Anigozanthos could go in the renovated succulent bed after all.  It's not big or fluid enough to provide the soft touch I was looking for among the succulents but that doesn't mean it couldn't have a spot there.  If I planted 'Blue Glow' Agaves on either side of it to play off the turquoise blue of the flowers and introduced some reddish-pink color behind it that might give the relatively small plant a boost.  The area gets good sun, with some late afternoon protection from the Arbutus 'Marina' tree in the background. 


What do you think?  Which option would you choose?


Due to other commitments and the rain in the forecast, I may only make it to my "neighborhood" garden center this week for another round of plant shopping.  In addition to agaves, I'll continue to shop for smallish Leucadendrons and Euphorbia 'Miner's Merlot' (preferably in one-gallon pots).  I have two other local sources for succulents I plan to check out as well but they require longer trips that'll have to wait a bit.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. I excuse visits in nurseries as 'window shopping' trips. Then I justify a purchase as support the local business... though if I'm honest, I do it for my own pleasure: my mature garden doesn't need any new plants and like you, I divide and use what I already have.
    'Violet Queen' Echeveria is lovely and I say three are better than one :-D
    Finally getting a plant you coveted for so long, Anigozanthos, must feels great. Although I've seen your garden from every angle through your posts, it's difficult to know where it would fit best without being there. My vote is the renovated bed: it's still more open and the Anigozanthos will get its moment to shine.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant lovers are really good at rationalizing new purchases - the 2 characteristics must be linked in the DNA ;) I'm currently leaning toward the renovated succulent bed for the Anigozanthos. My second choice is the north-side area. However, I briefly considered whether I should just buy one or two more Anigozanthos...

      Delete
  2. Plant shopping...hmmmm...now you have me very excited for the weeks ahead. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to pace myself with the plant shopping, Beth ;) I've also received 2 mail order plant deliveries within the last week and another one is on its way but, then 2 of those orders were placed way back in early November for spring delivery so I'm not sure they should count.

      Delete
  3. Che bellezza! Non andiamo in un vivaio da circa 3 mesi ma sabato prossimo rimedieremo!

    Quella varietà è bellissima, qui le ho viste piantate per terra solo alle isole di Brissago dove il clima è mediterraneo e non gela praticamente mai. Li diventano davvero grandi ma la tua varietà non la conosco proprio.

    Mi spiace non poterti aiutare per il collocamento.

    Un caro saluto, poi vedremo qualche posizione hai scelto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three months with your plant nurseries closed! I would not know how to manage that limitation, Gabriel! I hope you have a good time when you are able to check out new plants in your local area.

      Anigozanthos 'Masquerade' is relatively small. As coastal Southern California is considered a Mediterranean climate (with mild, rainy winters and a long dry period), in theory it should be happy here; however, one I previously grew only lasted a few years and did not bloom very often.

      Delete
  4. I think the colorways of your first two positions work the best (from photos at least; they can be tricky). For visibility/enjoyment leaning towards the walkway placement. Great to see your succulent bed renovation up and running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the first position a lot because the Anigozanthos looks good with the flowers of the Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite' behind it. As I commented in response to Chavli above, I started thinking about getting another Anigozanthos ;) The downside of the second position is that the plant would be largely out-of-sight. As the reddish Aeoniums look good with the kangaroo paw flowers, I think I'll add some of the former wherever it lands.

      Delete
  5. Oh! This is like the NYT stories where the subject wants to buy a house in a certain neighborhood and they show you three options and ask which you would buy before telling you which one they bought. I love the anigozanthos in your reno succulent bed, but it also looks fantastic with the Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite'. Hmmm... my answer is "both"... go back and buy a second anigozanthos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We think alike, Loree! I speculated about purchasing a second plant in my response to Chavli and the anonymous commentator above. Deep Roots just had 2 of 'Masquerade' plants when I was there and I bought the best of them but I'm sure they'll show up again somewhere.

      Delete
  6. I like the anigo in the last photo of the reno bed, only because its vase shape will get better notice there, but it looks amazing backed by the centaurea. Maybe that centaurea is the soft look you want in the reno bed? Gets big tho. I love climbing down those stairs at Deep Roots to stroll through all those beautiful shrubs! Interesting observation that sizes have become larger and therefore pricier plants since the pandemic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I learned just how big that Centaurea gets the hard way, Denise. The nearby Lepechinia also gets big (4'x4') so I think I'm already pushing my luck in that spot.

      I love Deep Roots and I should stop by more often, at least to browse. I also need to remember to take advantage of the great sales before the Christmas trees take over in late November. And everyone's plant prices seem to have soared since the pandemic...

      Delete
  7. Interesting observations. I've also noticed a lot more 5's than 1's--bigger margins I guess. Nurseries are not gold mines, they have to survive somehow. I almost always prefer to buy the smallest version of plants available--bought 'Miner's Merlot' in a 4" pot--but I make an exception for Leucadendrons and Leucospermums as they seem to do far better planted from a 2 or 5 than from a 1.

    I did get 'Startreuse' in a 1 @ Plant Depot some months ago and just potted it up this morning--had no idea it would look that dramatic as in your photo--mine is still plain green though it has grown quite a bit taller. Something to look forward to, thanks!

    I like the last location for the K-Paws just because it seems more visible there. Since I have zero luck with that genus, it would be a temporary plant anyway!

    I'm sure 'Miner's Merlot' will be very temporary, though it hasn't died yet. I'm expecting the first 80F day to kill it off...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Euphorbia 'Miner's Merlot' in a small pot at Armstrong a few weeks ago but, knowing nothing about it at that point, I passed. A couple of Euphorbias, 'Black Pearl' and 'Dean's Hybrid', have handled dry conditions here, although I'm wary of 'Black Pearl' as it self-seeds a bit too freely. (It's a E. characias.) San Marcos Growers says 'Miner's' is vigorous and suitable to zones 10 & 11 but claims it also needs "medium water," which isn't a good sign. It's parentage isn't entirely certain either. I'm not about to pay $34 to try it out but I may do a test run with a smaller, cheaper plant.

      I haven't had long-term success with Anigozanthos either but, for turquoise flowers, I'm willing to give it another try.

      Delete
  8. I'm late to chime in, but vote first & last options. I have a miner's merlot (planted spring 2023) that has been consistently looking lovely year round in a full sun with weekly water situation. I do chop the blooms off, euphorbia spreads like wildfire in my garden. *I got the 4" pot from Annie's Annuals fyi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input on 'Miner's Merlot', Tracy! I checked my local garden center and they had it only in a 2-gallon container so I expect I'll add it to my next Annie's order ;)

      Delete
  9. Funny coincidence, I was at a large nursery in Sacramento on Saturday and I was tempted both by Euphorbia 'Miner's Merlot' (they had it in 4") and the Celebration kangaroo paws! The flowers on these paws are something else. I still don't know what to think of them. I can't wait to see what it'll look like in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be interesting to see if the kangaroo paws hold up in the long run. I haven't had much luck with them before. I was surprised to find that information on the tag recommended fertilizing them every 2 weeks!

      Delete
  10. I prefer the turquoise with support from blue leaves, then your new plant can sing its own red note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input, Diana! I think I've settled on backing it with Agave 'Blue Glow' with the addition of some red leaning Aeoniums,

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.