Monday, March 18, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: The Leucospermums show off

It's been a bit windy but the combination of sunny skies and slightly warmer temperatures has sent spring into hyperdrive.  I didn't even have to give much thought as to what to cut to fill a couple of vases.  I hadn't planned on a third arrangement but then I decided I couldn't leave the anemones to the wind's punishment.

I'll start with the two arrangements featuring Leucospermums.

While this is yet another blue and yellow arrangement, the contents are entirely different from those I used last week.  In addition to Leucospermum 'High Gold', I used 2 varieties of Dutch Iris.  The Irises began popping up in a variety of colors seemingly overnight.

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Iris hollandica 'Mystic Beauty', I. h. 'Sapphire Beauty', Leucadendron 'High Gold', Narcissus 'White Lion', and hybrid Salvia 'Bee's Bliss'


The second arrangement was inspired by Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi'.

Although inspired by the orange Leucospermum, this is another of my "everything but the kitchen sink" compilations

Back view: I threw in a foxglove and 2 calla lilies that probably didn't need to be there

Top view

Top: Abelia grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope', Antirrhinum majus, and Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Peach'
Middle: Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny', Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi', and Narcissus 'Beautiful Eyes'
Bottom: Narcissus 'Sunny Girlfriend', Ranunculus, and Zantedeschia aethiopica


I hadn't figured on Anemone 'Rosa Tigrato' delivering half a dozen blooms in my cutting garden but, having seen what wind can do to them, there wasn't really any question in my mind about cutting some of them for a third arrangement.

In addition to the red and white anemones, I included the stem of Helleborus 'Anna's Red' I'd used in one of last week's arrangements.  I was surprised that it was still in good shape and that one of the buds had opened.

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Anemone coronaria 'Rosa Tigrato', Grevillea lavandulcea 'Penola', Freesia, Calliandra haematocephala, and Helleborus 'Anna's Red'


There are a couple of chances of light rain next weekend and early the following week but those could easily disappear.  However, my fingers are crossed that we get at least one more good rainstorm before our rainy season comes to an end in mid-April.  My smallest rain collection tank literally sprung a leak during the last set of storms so I lost fifty gallons there and I don't have its replacement installed yet.  I'd like to start our long dry season with all my tanks full if possible.


For more IAVOM posts, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


32 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...stunning as always! There's something about that shade of blue in the first one...and combined with the yellow. I love all your vases. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. Iris 'Sapphire Beauty' and its cousin 'Mystic Beauty' got me hooked on Dutch Iris.

      Delete
  2. These are all so pretty and exuberant, I can't possibly pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I'm in love with all 3 of them this week, Tracy, although I think I crammed a little too much into the second one.

      Delete
  3. I love all three but the first is my favorite....iris and yellow and blues. Spring is giving me pleasure through your vases. We are in waiting mode as winter decided on one last blast I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping winter delivers us at least one more rainstorm, Donna. Unfortunately, Mother Nature probably isn't listening to either of us.

      Delete
  4. So many flowers! I bet your house smells divine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are 2 other small arrangements I didn't even show, Loree ;)

      Delete
  5. Gosh, I see what you mean - what abundance! No wonder it was hard to choose what to include! I especially like the second one withe the varying shades of orange and other complementary blooms. Enjoy springtime, Kris, either in your garden or with these lovely vases in view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late March is generally pretty exciting here but somehow the deluge of flowers always manages to feel like a delightful surprise, Cathy.

      Delete
  6. A beautiful trio, Kris! I esp. love the blue and yellow together and as always anemones are gorgeous. Bummer about your storage tank leak, arrgh. Why couldn't it have happened in November when you'd have had a chance to fill a new one! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 50-gallon tank was about 20 years old so I probably should've thought to check it now and again, Eliza. We purchased a new one by mail order but failed to study its overflow hookup and now my husband's working on options to make it fit :(

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Kris. I neurose about mixing tropicals with non tropicals, but you have done it beautifully here. i am so jealous of the Iris. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how well Dutch Iris do here, Amelia. I add more each year. Maybe you should give a handful of bulbs a try.

      Delete
  8. Those Anemones sure are striking and make an excellent focus for your arrangements. Dutch Iris time of year. :^)

    Thunder, big flashes of lightning and black clouds here this afternoon and a bit of a downpour--had to scurry indoors when the thunder began. --hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got the thunder and lightning but no downpour. Weather Underground gave no hint of anything on the horizon yesterday but I checked it at 4:30pm today when I saw gray clouds headed our way and was startled to see a 92% chance of rain around 5pm with a forecast of 0.08". I cut my late afternoon walk in half when the thunder started, only to see zip in the form of rain.

      Delete
  9. Three spectacular vases today: no way of picking a favorite :-)
    I can only point out my joy when seeing Grevillea lavandulcea 'Penola' again. I believe its the somewhat unruly shrub by the side of the house that caught my attention recently. I love, love love that foliage-bloom combination.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that Grevillea 'Penola' seems to have forgiven me its hard pruning, Chavli. I do love it even if I wish I'd planted it elsewhere.

      Delete
  10. Those leucospermums are such stars Kris. And I'm so glad you included the anemones (and the grevillea - whenever you show them it makes me happy!). Hope you get your rain tank situation sorted in time to capture more rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new rain tank we purchased by mail order to replace the one that burst its side after 20+ years of service requires some alteration to function like the old one did, directing any storm overflow away from the house. My diligent husband is working to get that addressed before the rain possible this coming weekend.

      Delete
  11. That was me above Kris - not sure if you can tell, but you did seem to recognise Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for confirming your ID, Cathy! I might have guessed based on the timing of your response to my comment on your blog, as I did in referencing Amelia on yours but it's better to be certain ;)

      Delete
  12. Wow, Spring has sprung for you as well Kris! Love the irises in the first vase. Blue flowers always get my attention. But the red and white anemone is also a. eye-catcher. Lovely shades of yellow in all your arrangements too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Spring is in its sumptuous phase here ;)

      Delete
  13. It's certainly spring in your next of the woods Kris Lovely vases as always especially the blue and yellow. How obliging of those irises to pop up overnight. Sorry to hear that you lost some water from your rain collection tanks and hope that you get some more to top up the supply 🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More and more it looks as though our rainy season is petering out as it nears its conclusion. While the forecast for rain for Saturday has now been given a 72% chance, it's only expected to reach 1/10th of an inch.

      Delete
  14. PERFECTION! Have you considered making a small book of your "In a vase" arrangements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I could never compete with the books created by real floral arrangers. I'm leaving book writing to Pam, Loree and you, Gerhard!

      Delete
  15. Some of those flowers are positively dreamy, Kris. So pretty. I love the dramatic blue and yellow arrangement, and fully understand how you can end up with 'everything but the kitchen sink' in a vase, lol. I do the same myself, often. It's the last vase that really makes my heart sing - those anemones are glorious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The red and white anemone ('Rose Tigrato') is dramatic and I'm lucky that they're doing especially well this year, if still well behind the blue ones with respect to the sheer number of blooms.

      Delete
  16. Full tanks - yes please. We are eking out the last little bit while we wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new (replacement) 50-gallon tank was installed just in time to collect the rain we got yesterday, Diana. It filled to the brim too! I hope you get some rain to fill your tanks again soon.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.