Monday, March 25, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: The spring extravaganza continues

We got a fifth of an inch of rain on Saturday as forecast and my 50-gallon replacement tank was ready to receive it, thanks to my husband's effort in retrofitting it.  It wasn't a lot of rain but it was enough to fill the tank.

We didn't look at the new tank's overflow mechanism when we purchased it by mail order.  It turned out that any excess spewed from the bottom, which isn't a good thing when the tank is set up against the house.  My husband drilled a hole in the side and fit it with a pipe to divert any overflow to the funnel system that that runs below ground, directing water away from the house.


It's been very windy of late but the latest rainstorm gave the garden the boost it needed.  Once again, there was no problem finding material to fill a couple of vases.  The first arrangement was inspired by Dutch Iris 'Pink Panther'.  The flowers have shot up virtually in unison in two areas of my front garden.

'Pink Panther' is more lavender than pink.  I initially wasn't sure what I had that would complement its color but I had no trouble whatsoever finding appropriate companions.

Back view: I added 2 Dutch Iris 'Eye of the Tiger' to provide more contrast

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: 2 noID varieties of Lathyrus odoratus, noID Scaevola, noID Ageratum, Iris hollandica 'Eye of the Tiger', I.h. 'Pink Panther', and Scilla peruviana


My second arrangement is yet another yellow and blue mix.  This one was inspired by the last of the potted Hippeastrums to bloom this year, one I initially thought might be a dud because it took so long to sprout.

Hippeastrum 'Lemon Star' looks a lot like the H. 'Luna' I grew in pots last year.  I planted the 'Luna' bulbs in the ground after they finished flowering last year and they're now producing flower stalks so I may have more Hippeastrum blooms in another month or 2.

Back view: I used the first flowering stems of Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' as a foliage filler

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Hippeastrum 'Lemon Star', Iris hollandica 'Mystic Beauty, 2 different noID Narcissi, and Phlomis fruticosa 


Last week's Leucospermums held up well.  I removed the Narcissi and Ranunculus blooms that had fallen apart to create a streamlined version of the arrangement that included Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi'.

The simplified version is shown on the left and the original version is on the right


There's a good chance of more rain next Saturday.  In the meantime, I'm hoping we get a less wind and more sun to facilitate work in the garden and maybe some spring plant shopping.


For  more IAVOM creations, visit our host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


26 comments:

  1. I love 'spillers'; the blooming acacia is no exception! From the creamy daffodil to the lemony Hippeastrum, punched up with a bit of purple: gorgeous.
    (I'm glad you were able to use the Phlomis bloom... it doesn't often make it's way into a vase).
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dr Seuss-like Phlomis blooms but finding stems at just the right stage of bloom isn't easy and I often have to remove the lower flowers to fit the stems in a vase, which bothers me. I'm hoping my purple variety flowers this year - a neighbor has a spreading collection of that variety that puts mine to shame!

      Delete
  2. Your first arrangement is just about as Easter-y as it gets! Well done, they are all pretty. I hope your plant shopping is fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first plant shopping expedition was nice, although not especially fruitful. All but one of my chosen "local" venues involve a bit of a driving slog. Nothing is really nearby when you're dealing with Los Angeles traffic.

      Delete
  3. That Hippeastrum 'Lemon Star' is such a fantastic color! After our sunny warm spell wrapped up last Wednesday they predicted rain for us, so far that's only barely materialized, just .06, .06 and .03. Looking at those totals I couldn't help but think of them as SoCal rain, not PNW spring rain. Happy plant shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what SoCal rain is often like, Loree! We've been luckier this year, although not as lucky as we were last year, at least not yet. We got 0.20/inch on Saturday, which we consider a decent rainstorm ;) Another storm is predicted for the coming weekend.

      Delete
  4. Love the blues in the first vase, Kris, and it's curious that the irises don't stand out as irises when you first see the vase. Lots of spring blooms in your three vases, so thanks for sharing them all (and I am amazed half an inch rain filled your tank - you must have a large area for the rain to collect on)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a similar reaction to the 'Pink Panther' Irises, Cathy. I think I mashed too many of them together - more space between them and/or the addition of more of the dark 'Eye of the Tiger' Irises might have made a difference.

      It was a fifth of an inch of rain (0.20") of rain that filled that 50-gallon tank! It's amazing how much water sheets off the average roof. Our house isn't that big and I can't even collect all the rain that comes off the roof. Rain barrels aren't particularly attractive so I've had to put them where they're less obtrusive ;)

      Delete
  5. More iris to love today, Kris. I am enjoying the Iris and have recently found one insipid variety that grows here. I think I will just admire yours. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that Louisiana Irises like lots of water and more humid conditions than mine, Amelia. Supposedly, they even grow wild in Florida, among other states - and they're quite beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Oh more purples and iris. And that lovely hippeastrum with the purple was so eye-catching. That is wonderful that the rain filled that tank. Here we had a foot of snow that melts to about an inch of rain. Amazing really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roofs shed an impressive amount of rain, Donna. I'm of the opinion that a lot more people in drought-prone California should install gutters and rain tanks. In my own case, I wish I had much larger tanks (mine combined max out at 475 gallons) but there's only so many places to put them where they don't stand out like proverbial sore thumbs.

      Delete
  7. The all-purple blend of irises and sweet peas is so refreshing, Kris! And of course I love your Lemon Star hippeastrum! So glad you got some rain. We got a bit as well, and I'm willing your next storm to come this way too before the moisture shuts off for the season. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next rainstorm is looking like a stronger prospect with each passing day, Amy. I hope it reaches you too! It now looks like it could start as early as Friday night here and hang on into Monday. Meanwhile, my irrigation system is off and I'll be toting around my stored rainwater.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy for you with the plentiful rain. And your vases, as always, are stunning! Those shades of blue and lavender and periwinkle are magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful for the rain and looking forward to the heavier storm on the horizon, even though it's likely it's going to mess with people's Easter holiday plans, Beth. I think spring is probably peaking here but then the garden always manages to surprise me!

      Delete
  9. Your indoors are nearly as flowery as your outdoors! :) Great timing on the new rain barrel--chance of more rain this weekend looks quite promising (hooray! I was preparing to turn the irrigation system back on).

    Beautiful dutch iris arrangement, and 'Lemon Star' is a good one too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been toting rainwater around the drier parts of my garden this week with the hope that all I use will be restored by the storm due this weekend, HB. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful showcase of color and textures. Awesome Dutch iris. You must have planted zillions. I have a few buds on some planted many years ago that I'm watching closely. Cousin Itt is always a good companion. Your husband certainly is handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably do have zillions of Dutch Iris by this point, Susie. They do reproduce - and then again I tend to add more each year. The most recent additions of white and reddish pink versions haven't shown up yet, though.

      Delete
  11. Love your irises Kris. They have clearly responded to the rain and look so fresh. Glad your rain barrel is full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dutch Iris are doing really well this year, Cathy!

      Delete
  12. Your iris are purplicious! :) Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lemon star has nice limy undertones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminds me a lot of Hippeastrum 'Luna', which I grew last year.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.