Friday, March 15, 2024

Bloom Day - March 2024

Is spring already working up to its peak in coastal Southern California?  It certainly feels like that's the case.  We've had more than a week of sunny skies after regular rounds of rain since January.  The temperatures have been warmer too, although we've only occasionally reached the low 70sF thus far.

I'm going to start this Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day post with the bulb flowers as, more than any others, they celebrate the spring season.

Because Scilla peruviana (aka Portuguese squill) is looking its best at the moment, it got top billing.  Every year, I plan to dig up and divide this clump but somehow I never get around to it.

The blue Anemone coronaria are still putting on a good show.  I think I've lost all the white 'Mount Everest' bulbs I planted in the fall to a smothering blanket of marsh parsley weeds but a couple strays came back from those planted in prior years.  I've also had several 'Rosa Tigrato' blooms, one shown here adorned with a ladybug. 

The white and yellow Freesias have peaked but the blue, pink and red varieties have appeared recently in small numbers.  I think gophers may have cost me the majority of the blue ones this year.

Ipheion uniflorum (aka spring star flower and Mexican star) can still be found throughout the back garden

I haven't seen many Narcissus 'Geranium' yet but 'Beautiful Eyes' (top row) came along like parade marchers.  Those in the bottom row are a noID Tazetta type, a noID variety I planted my first year year here, and peach-colored 'Katie Heath'.

I planted 2 pots of orange Ranunculus purchased in bud but I was tickled to see the plant on the left come back in a barrel I planted in spring 2023.  Orange Sparaxis tricolor (right) are everywhere, although rainstorms flattened many of the flowers earlier this month.

Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane' showed up early this year.  I'm still waiting on her cousin 'Cynthia'.

Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Beauty' (left and middle) showed up just last week.  The first 'Pink Panther' flower (right) opened this week.  Other Dutch Irises will be arriving in the following weeks.

The potted Hippeastrums are fading fast.  They don't appreciate standing in heavy rain or wind.  Clockwise from the upper left are: Hippeastrums 'Aphrodite', 'Evergreen', 'Exception', 'Lemon Star', and 'Zombie'.


I'm still waiting on most of the seeds I sowed in November.

I sowed seeds of 5 varieties of sweet peas in November, 2 of them mixes.  This one variety has bloomed for over a month without flowers from any of the others.  My best guess is that it's one of the (unnamed) flowers included in the Lathyrus annuus 'Mermaid Dreams' mix.  The larkspur seeds (Consolida ajacis) have produced lots of seedlings, some with buds.  The Nigella papillosa seedlings are up but I've yet to see any buds.


The flowering shrubs and perennials are piling on to the spring express train.

The Alstroemerias are just getting started.  Left to to right are a noID pink Alstroemeria, A. 'Inca Lucky', and A. 'Indian Summer'.

Arctotis 'Pink Sugar' (top row) were the first out the gate but yellow 'Large Marge' and 'Opera Pink' (bottom row) are working hard to catch up

Argyranthemum frutescens, clockwise from the top left: 'Grandaisy Dark Pink', 'Pink Comet', and 'Angelic Maize'

Calliandra haematocephala (aka red powder puff) is as pretty in bud (right) as in bloom

I thought Camellia williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection' was heading for the exit in mid-February but it surprised me with another, larger flush of bloom in March; however, the flowers are now dropping more rapidly and there are relatively few buds left to see it through another month

With a thicker blanket of flowers, I got better shots to capture the blue color of Ceanonthus arboreus 'Cliff  Schmidt' this month

The Cistus (aka rockrose) are also just getting started.  Left to right are: Cistus 'Grayswood Pink', C. x scanbergii, and C. 'Sunset'

Coleonema album (left) is trailing pink-flowering Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold' (right)

The chartreuse flowers of Euphorbia rigida look particularly bright when backed up by blue succulents

The downward-facing flowers of hellebores are notoriously difficult to photograph but I'm happy to have far more blooms this year.  Clockwise from the upper left are: hybrids Helleborus 'Anna's Red', H. 'Phoebe', H. orientalis 'True Love', H. orientalis 'Blue Lady', and H. 'Wedding Bells'.

The Leucospermum (pincushion) flowers are generally plentiful but they take their time opening from buds.  Clockwise from the upper left are: 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi', 'Spider Hybrid', and 'High Gold'Leucospermum 'Sunrise' (not shown) has only 2 open flowers so far.

The Osteospermums are making the most of spring.  Top: O. '4D Pink', '4D White', and '4D Sunburst'
Middle: O. 'Double Moonglow', an Osteospermum mix, and 'Serenity Bronze'
Bottom: self-seeded Osteospermum (possibly a variant of 'Berry White'), '4D Violet Ice', and 'Serenity Purple'

Pyrethropsis hosmariense (aka Moroccan daisy) is in the process of covering an area of my front garden with white flowers


Of course there are also what I call my "old dependables" that bloom much of the year, if not year-round.

Felicia aethiopica (aka wild aster) blooms most of the year if routinely deadheaded

I don't know how I gardened in my climate without Grevilleas.  The varieties with the largest flowers bloom year-round here.  Those with smaller flowers bloom for several months.  Clockwise from the upper left are: Grevillea 'Poorinda Leane', G. 'Peaches & Cream', G. lavandulacea 'Penola', G. 'Scarlet Sprite', G. 'Superb' (2 photos), and G. sericea.

Leucadendrons 'Safari Sunset' and 'Summer Red' have colorful bracts in lieu of real flowers but most people view them as flowers

Polygala myrtifolia (aka sweet pea bush) flowers most heavily in spring and summer.  It also self-seeds like crazy but that's another story.


And there are the Aeonium arboreum flowers, which bloom for months, usually until I become fed up with their screams for attention and cut them down en masse. 

Aeonium arboreum in bloom in my front and back gardens.  They're actually in every area of my garden.  The bees love them so it's hard to simply toss them out upon arrival.


I'll close this post as I usually do with color-coded collages of flowers that make less of a splash but which I can't bring myself to entirely ignore.

Top: Anchusa capensis, Aristea inaequalis, and Delphinium grandiflora
Middle: Geranium 'Tiny Monster', Lavandula multifida, and Limonium perezii
Bottom: Pericallis 'Magic Salmon', Salvia rosmarinus (aka rosemary), and noID Scaevola

Clockwise from the upper left: Boronia crenulata 'Shark Bay', Centradenia florabunda (aka Spanish shawl, new), mixed Cyclamen, Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl', and Pelargonium peltatum (aka ivy geraniun)

Clockwise from upper left: Auranticarpa rhombifolium, Nemesia 'Nessie Plus White', Daphne odora, Euryops chrysanthemoides 'Sonnenschein', and Laurus nobilis (aka bay laurel)

Top: Aloe striata, Arbutus 'Marina', and Cuphea 'Honeybells
Middle: Erysimum 'Wild Orchid', Lobelia laxiflora, and Metrosideros collina 'Springfire'
Bottom: noID Oncidium (my best guess), Primula acaulis, and Salvia africana-lutea


If you made it through the entire photo gallery, congratulations!  For more GBBD posts, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


28 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it is that time isn't it? I can't believe we are already in mid-March. I ran out of steam this week and didn't have anything in particular planned for posting. The Sparaxis caught my eye with it's bright bicolor blooms. I also really like the way the your Aeonium arborum provide a nice backdrop for your container collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoyed as I get with the florescent yellow dunce cap flowers of those Aeoniums, I admit I was impressed by that particular view of the towering blooms from the street, Jerry. Nevertheless, you can expect me to begin eliminating them in large numbers by the end of the month ;) I'll probably put the cut blooms out for the neighbors as I did last year - to my surprise, there were a good many takers.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember if you ever showed a photo of Calliandra haematocephala buds. In fact it looks like a cluster of buds... I love it.
    From your Cistus collection I always look forward to seeing 'little miss sunshine'. I guess it blooms later in the year. Another favorite is the Moroccan daisy. If I notice it in nurseries this year I'll give it a try.
    (Would it be too ugly to let Aeonium arboreum blooms wither naturally? It sounds like a massive undertaking every year...)
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Calliandra buds are very sweet but the blooms tend to eclipse them in photos and floral arrangements, Chavli. I haven't seen any buds on 'Little Miss Sunshine' yet but the plants are in good shape so I expect they'll show up at the appointed time. I planted a large Cistus 'Blanche' nearby and it's developing its first buds now.

      I appreciate your plea for a reprieve on behalf of the giant Aeonium flowers but they just annoy me after awhile, distracting from other plants I'd prefer to focus on. However, they won't disappear all at once and I promise there'll still be plenty of nectar for the bees.

      Delete
  3. Such a plethora of blooms! The daffodils are so perfectly Spring and cheery. Did you get very windy there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Santa Ana winds blew most of yesterday, Tracy, although other areas got rougher treatment than we did. Still, both my husband and I had our allergies pick up and the garden is drying at record speed.

      Delete
  4. Spectacular! The spring express train has definitely pulled into your garden. Wowsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spring express train is moving like a bullet, Loree!

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous! It's a rainbow of beauty! Most years, I would be very, very jealous and we sometimes still have snow on the ground in March. But this year, the Forsythias (and many other spring flowers) are blooming already. Thanks for sharing your amazing views! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole country seems as though it's warming up fast, Beth. In our case, I'm still hoping for a bit more rain before that season officially comes to an end in mid-April.

      Delete
  6. Incredible Kris! Its like all of the seasons at once. We are far ahead, but so nice to see summer where you are. Soon it will all be green again. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. This is coastal Southern California's version of spring, although people do sometimes comment that the plants that bloom here in March and April are summer bloomers elsewhere in the Northern Hemisphere ;) However, the arrival of summer will put a quick end to all the current bulb blooms and many others that represent spring in my climate.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous blooms! So much color, here in Kentucky, our color is just starting to happen. All of your blooms are just beautiful, but the camellia is catching my eye along with the Pink Sugar. Happy bloom day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we don't get much in the way of a true winter here, Judy. We don't get snow or even freezes so it's not entirely surprising that spring gets an early start on much of the rest of the US. Our only real marker for winter is rain - winter is our all too brief rainy season.

      Delete
  8. Kris-Every time I visit I feel like I just walked into a botanical garden! Every single one of your blooms is more beautiful than the next, and I love how you can grow things like Mexican Star, which is grown as a houseplant here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would've thought of Ipheion as a house plant, Lee. I hope spring unfolds at a more leisurely pace for you! It's seemingly over in a flash here.

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a wonderful collection of flowers!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many lovely flowers--a true "flower floozy" garden.

    Not a single sweet pea flower here yet, though the plants are thriving. Happy Bloom Day-- hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear the title with pride, HB ;) I noticed a few new sweet peas today, although they blend closely with those that have bloomed for more than a month. My guess is they're part of one or the other of the 2 mixes I sowed. They smell great even if I can't name them.

      Delete
  11. Wow, so many lovely flowers and plants, it's hard to decide on a favorite! I think for me the lilac Ceanothus takes the prize--I've been trying to grow the variety 'Gloire de Versailles' in my Virginia garden, but the deer keep eating it back. You are so lucky to be able to grow subtropicals outdoors in your climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ceanothus is a California native so it's well-suited to my climate. In fact, we removed 3 Ceanothus shrubs we inherited with the garden years ago when they appeared to be dying off, only to have 2 of them growing back again years after we thought we'd dug them out ;)

      Delete
  12. Your cornucopia of flowers is almost overwhelming. So much beauty. My faves are your Leucospermums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always find spring overwhelming - in a good way!

      Delete
  13. An absolutely gorgeous bloom-day post, Kris. Such an abundance of beauty you've created! 🤩

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was going to say how I love your anemones, then the irises, and the hellebores ... and ... there's too many to name! They are all so gorgeous. <3
    There are a couple I recognise from having them in my garden too - Cuphea 'Honeybells' which is in flower now, and 'Serenity Bronze', which has had a couple of new flowers recently, but I expect more now that our weather has cooled. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Osteospermum African daisies appreciate cooler temperatures and usually come back in the fall here, gaining strength into the spring season before taking a low profile (if not dying off completely) during the hot summer months.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.