Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Surrounded by a ring of fire

Reference to a "ring of fire" may conjure a number of images in your mind.  If you're a student of geology, you might think of the path of volcanoes and seismic activity rimming the Pacific Ocean.  According to National Geographic, seventy-five percent of the world's volcanoes lie on the Pacific Ring of Fire, which also accounts for ninety-five percent of its earthquakes.   (I should note that this includes coastal California.)  However, the reference may also make you think of the classic country song co-written by June Carter and popularized by Johnny Cash, who first sang it in 1963.  'Ring of Fire' is also the name of a 2013 television movie about the relationship between Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, who became his wife in 1968.

"My" ring of fire has nothing to do with any of those things.  For me, the expression refers to the Xylosma congestum hedge that surrounds a large part of my garden.  I inherited it with the garden and, although I've never had any particular fondness for hedges, I admit that I gradually fell in love with this one.  It's particularly attractive when it produces fresh new foliage.

The fresh foliage has a bronze-orange cast but the older, shiny green leaves look good year-round.  The hedge responds well to pruning too.  It also produces masses of tiny yellow flowers that the bees love but those flowers are relatively rare due to its regular pruning.

Section of the hedge on the north end of the back garden.  This entire back garden section hides the sharp drop of the slope on its other side (which also protects the gardener and visitors who might otherwise take nasty falls).

View of the mid-section of the back garden hedge with the entrance to the Port of Los Angeles in the distance

This section of the hedge winds around the south-side garden, flowing into the back garden

View of the back hedge from the bottom of the back slope.  The trees poking up behind the hedge are the 2 Arbutus 'Marina' trees on the upper level of the back garden.

This section of the hedge sits on the north end of the front garden, where it borders the edge of a path mainly used to move our trash and recycle bins to the street for pick-up

This section runs from the driveway south.  It's mirrored on the other side of the driveway looking north.

When we moved in, there was a break in the front Xylosma hedge on its south end.  I was told that the entire stretch facing the street was originally planted with a different shrub, Auranticarpa rhombifolium.  When those shrubs started dying, they were replaced by Xylosma everywhere except in this last area.  When the remaining Auranticarpa here died off, I planted more Xylosma behind the succulents I'd used to fill gaps between the Auranticarpas.  They've only just now reached the height of the original Xylosmas.



Coincidentally (or not), there are lots of plants that echo the color of the fresh Xylosma foliage at this time of year too.

Aloe striata and Euphorbia tirucalli 'Sticks on Fire' complement the Xylosma foliage

Clockwise from the upper left, flowers that do the same include: Arbutus 'Marina', Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi', L. 'Sunrise', L. 'Spider Hybrid' (still in bud), Grevellea 'Superb', and Metrosideros collina 'Springfire'

More complementary flowers, clockwise from the upper left include: Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', Erysimum 'Wild Orchid', orange Ranunculus, Gazania 'Gold Flame', Lobelia laxiflora, and Sparaxis tricolor



The "ring of fire" phenomenon in my garden isn't a once-a-year event.  The hedge produces a fresh flush of reddish-orange foliage a few weeks after the hedge is pruned, which happens three or four times a year.  However, the color appears brightest during this first flush during our rainy season.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


14 comments:

  1. Ha, I glanced at my calendar just to me sure it's not GBBD...
    'Sticks on Fire' are excellent companion to Xylosma and appropriately named to suit the theme of today's post.
    "View... from the bottom of the back slope" shows your majestic, well pruned (and lusted after) Arbutus. I couldn't help but notice the lemons photo bombing on the left.
    The color of the Ranunculus is stunning. I have a weakness for orange blooms.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave away 2 dozen lemons last week but the tree is overloaded this year so I need to pick a bushel full to offer neighbors as our use plus handoffs to friends aren't enough to keep up with its current output. As we had 2 years of near nothing from the tree following a vicious heatwave that caused it to drop literally all its fruit, its turnaround is gratifying to say the least!

      Delete
  2. I am not a hedge lover, but this is grand. The color and how it negates that deep drop off. Your Erysimum 'Wild Orchid' is really pretty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a leap of faith with 2 Erysimum 'Wild Orchid' plants last year. I'd little confidence in it coming back following last summer's heat but it's looking even better than it did last year.

      Delete
  3. How old do you think the original hedge is? It's wonderful that your newly planted area has caught up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that the hedge has been in place between 15 and 20 years, Loree. It was already well-established when we bought the house in late 2010 and I've seen realtor photos from 2009 when it was previously sold to the guy who sold it to us. My understanding it that it was landscaped by the prior owners that sold to him when they lived here, which I vaguely recall a neighbor telling me was for 10 or fewer years. I planted the additional Xylosma in 2016 when the remaining Aruranticarpa dropped dead. Leaving the succulents in place in front of the newer Xylosma shrubs is a bit awkward but I can't bring myself to remove them.

      Delete
  4. Fresh-growth-from-the-hedges time is always--refreshing. Your Xylosma looks great. Cool that it surrounds so much of your property. The February soaking SoCal got was apparently great timing for hedges. They are looking good here too.

    A couple of neighbors have Xylosma hedges--one hedge I know for sure is 50+ years old.

    We got over .6" of rain yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast was for 1/3rd of an inch of rain, HB, and we got nearly 3/4ths! The only negative is that I discovered that my smallest rain tank is apparently cracked and no longer holding on to what I collected, a missed opportunity.

      Delete
  5. Great title for this post, Kris. It really is your own ring of fire. ;) Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a repetitive theme in my garden but it makes me smile every time I see it.

      Delete
  6. I do like a flush of orangy new growth. It's nice when coincidence works in our favor and certain color themes emerge. Three days of sun and cold here. It was nice to see it for a little bit. Really cheery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be seeing spring creep in there soon, Jerry. Much as I love rain and cognizant that I am that our rainy season only has about a month to go, I'm glad to see that there's virtually no chance of rain on the 10-day horizon. I'm looking forward to a period to dry out a bit. There are even temperatures in the low 70s forecast for next week!

      Delete
  7. I can see your 'ring of fire' is both beautiful and serves a purpose in your garden, Kris. In every photo it looks very attractive, so it's no wonder it won your heart eventually. And did I see a lemon tree in the left-side foreground in one of the photos too? Every plant looks as if it is purposely placed to compliment each section of the hedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We inherited 3 citrus trees with the garden, Jo. The lemon tree at the bottom of our slope is the most loved specimen. The Xylosma hedge probably has influenced the plant choices I've made in the 13 years we've owned the property.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.