Friday, March 22, 2024

Succulent bed renovation - progress report

I'm nowhere near done renovating the succulent bed in front of our garage but I've made significant progress.  This post will serve as an update.

The first task was to bring in a cactus soil mix to both visually raise the soil level and improve drainage in the area.

We had one cubic yard of a cactus and succulent friendly soil mix trucked in and dropped in our driveway.  It may not look like much but it took a good deal of time and effort to move it.

I moved about one-third of it myself but thankfully my husband moved the rest (in less than half the time it took me to move my share)

I then tackled mixing the new soil in with the existing soil.  I did that at periodic intervals over 2 days.  I was exhausted afterwards.


The next step was laying out the rocks, both old and new.

I dug the rocks into place, trying to cover the bottom third of each individual rock.  Proving my argument that one can never have enough rock, I came up short but made do with what I had.  I included some rocks that the plumbers dug up last year when they changed out our water pipes.  Most of those are gradually disintegrating but they'll hold up for awhile yet.


Once the rocks were in place, I made my first stab at laying out the plants I'd saved when I dug the area up.

I'd potted up all the plants I wanted to save when I dug up the area in February.  I also pulled out a few potted plants I've been holding in reserve for possible use here.


I didn't follow the layout I'd originally tried in all respects but I'm fairly comfortable with it; however, a lot of holes remain to be filled.

This is the area as it looked yesterday afternoon

Closer look at the east side of the bed (nearest the garage)

Closer look at the west side of the bed (nearest to the street)


Here's a peek at the individual specimens I've already planted:

Clockwise from the upper left: Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' (clumps dug out of my north-side garden), Agave attenuata 'Raea's Gold' (the mother plant I removed from the back garden last November and re-rooted), Agave bracteosa 'Monterey Frost' (a gift from Hoover Boo of Piece of Eden), Aloe arborescens 'Variegata', Aloe cameronii 'Red' (another gift from Hoover Boo), Aloe nobilis, and multiple pups of Aloe 'Rooikappie'

More, clockwise from the upper left: Crassula ovata (a rooted cutting), Curio x peregrinus, Echeveria agavoides, and Senecio serpens (cuttings from my south-side garden)

Plants I'm still committed to replanting include: Aeonium nobilis, Aloe maculata, and Curio ficoides 'Mount Everest' (the only one of 5 that looked healthy enough to keep)

On standby are 2 small 'Blue Glow' Agaves I purchased from Annie's Annuals last year and potted up to gain size and 2 silver-blue Cotyledon orbiculata I love

We dug up the ever-leaning Kumara plicatilis (aka fan aloe) a close friend gave me sometime soon after we moved here.  I never got it properly straightened out and it was never happy.  Its leaves were half the size they should've been and some were damaged by insects.  Rather than replant it as is, I cut off 2 of the best looking branches, which I've potted up in hope of getting them to develop roots.  


Now I get to go shopping!  In addition to at least two or three larger succulents plus smaller ones to serve as fillers, I'm thinking of adding a few softer plants, including a small Leucadendron (as if I need more!) and drought-tolerant flowering groundcovers.  I'll provide an updated report when I'm closer to being done.

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


20 comments:

  1. Yay, for getting going on this bed: its looking great.
    By not following the original planting design you now must shop for more plants... not at all a bad thing, more like a reward for all your hard work :-D
    I do hope the Kumara rejuvenation is successful: it's such a statement plant.
    Lovely gifts from HB, I especially like Aloe dorotheae, for the color and diminutive size.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the Aloe dorotheae does as well for me in this new spot as it's done for HB. I have 3 much smaller divisions of the same aloe in my south-side bed but they've remained small, possibly because they get too much shade.

      Delete
  2. Nice work, I love a makeover. I hope the Kumara takes root, it actually looks better already. Have fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got high hopes for the Kumara cutting I showed in the photo included in this post, Tracy. The second cutting, which wasn't shown, is smaller and the branch supporting it's less than an inch in height so its chances are dicier.

      Delete
  3. This is my kind of post! I love how you built up the bed. That will pay dividends for years to come - plus, mounds look cool.

    My favorite sentence of this post: "a lot of holes remain to be filled." Isn't it great knowing that you still have room for cool plants? And then go looking for those plants? I'm making myself giddy just thinking of it :-)

    The next time I visit, I'll bring you some aloes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took my first shopping trip to a "local" garden center yesterday. (Just 15 miles away, it took me 40 minutes to get there on an early Friday afternoon, such is the traffic situation.) It's always offered a nice selection of Leucadendrons but, like many plant sellers, it now offers mostly specimens in larger sizes at inflated prices - but I did come home with a coveted Anigozanthos ;)

      Delete
  4. Shopping seems like a great reward for all of that hard work! (great shop on mixing in the new soil)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The native soil in that area was far less sandy than that in other areas of my garden. It's no wonder some of my succulents struggled there. Hopefully, one cubic yard of gritty soil (plus several bags of other succulent-friendly soil) will make a big difference.

      Delete
  5. What an enormous effort Kris, but well worth it. How I envy you being able to grow all these succulents outside. I have so many pots of them in the house, I just can't wait to put them out. Of course you need a new Leucadendron, a girl can never have too many. And you can feel smug knowing that we can't grow them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been embracing the whole Protea family, Chloris. I almost fell for another Leucospermum yesterday (I already have 5!) but it was too big and very pricey. I shall try to remain focused...

      Delete
  6. Davvero un bel lavoro! L'aiuola rialzata così tanto mi piace molto! Le piante sono stupende e credo che la mia ragazza che ama le succulente sarebbe davvero gelosa!

    Aspettiamo la fine :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Succulents are very happy in our climate, Gabriel. They are slowly taking over my garden.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a tremendous amount of work already. You've got a wonderful variety of plants in there. I am particularly excited about the variegated A. bracteosa and the two red aloes. Hoping the Kumala roots well for you, such a beautiful plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mixing the new soil with the old was particularly tasking, Jerry. I'm still recovering from the aches and pains of that exercise!

      Delete
  8. Nice to make progress on projects. Lots of great looking plants. Can't wait to see how it fills in. It's ironic how the men always seem to do everything faster than we can. More humiliating than anything I guess, but bless them for their efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my husband has always invested much more time in building his musculature than I have so I'm not surprised that he can dump each wagon full of soil in one go when I have to scoop it out in buckets. That doesn't make me any more inclined to lift weights, though ;)

      Delete
  9. Has your 'Crassula ovata' flowered yet? I've had one for several years in a pot, and last winter, it flowered! It's now planted in the rockery garden at the front of my house.
    Loved seeing the progress of the garden, Kris. 's looking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Crassula ovata is a cutting of a larger plant I stuck behind my shade house years ago. It bloomed months ago and had also grown to big for its own good, threatening to topple over under its own weight so I took some cuttings. I gave most away but kept one in a pot for possible use elsewhere. Now it has a home!

      Delete
  10. Wow, it looks great, and the plants look colorful and happy. You truly have a keen design sense. Thanks for sharing the process, the plants, and the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. all I'm seeing at the moment are the holes that I need to fill. I've already been sneaking in additional buts and pieces from elsewhere in the garden. I need to get to that shopping before I clutter the space with bits and pieces as I've done in the past ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.