Monday, March 11, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: New spring blooms keep coming

At this time of year new spring blooms seem to pop up almost daily.  I'm trying to pace myself when it comes to tossing them into floral arrangements but I ended up with three arrangements this week anyway.  The first of these was inspired by one of my favorite bulb flowers, Scilla peruviana.

As the Scilla peruviana, aka Portuguese squill, are only just beginning to unfold, I cut only one.  Despite the fact that its name suggests it originated in South America, the bulb is actually native to the area surrounding the Mediterranean Sea.

Back view: The tree-sized Ceanothus is in full bloom on the back slope so I took advantage of it

Top view: The blue Anemone coronaria and white and yellow Freesia are still plentiful

Clockwise from the upper left: Anemone coronaria, Auranticarpa rhombifolium, Lathyrus annuus, Ceanothus arboreus 'Cliff Schmidt', white and yellow Freesia, noID Narcissus, and Scilla peruviana


The second arrangement was inspired by the white and pink species tulips I found flowering in my back garden this past weekend.  I picked additional flowers to flesh out the vase but some didn't mesh with the tulips the way I'd envisioned.  I ended up separating what I'd cut into two separate arrangements.

Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane' has white and rosy-pink petals that look like candy canes when the petals close in low light

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Inca Lucky', A. 'Inca Vienna', Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata', and Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane'


The "leftovers" I'd cut with the tulip arrangement in mind landed in the vase featuring a woman's clasped hands, manicured with pink polish.

The flowers shown in this arrangement are a deeper reddish-pink, leaning toward burgundy

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Argyranthemum frutescens 'Grandaisy Dark Pink', a pink Freesia exhibiting an uncommon color break, a normal pink Freesia, Hebe 'Wiri Blush', Helleborus 'Anna's Red', and Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata'.  I wasn't able to find anything on color breaks caused by virus or other conditions in Freesias but this is at least the second year I've seen these.


The first Dutch Iris blooms have just appeared and my Leucospermums are opening, albeit slowly.  As we're expecting warmer temperatures during much of this week, I expect the spring cycle may accelerate.


For more IAVOM creations visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


24 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...dreamy, for sure...all of them. You definitely have a gift, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth but the plants deserve all the credit!

      Delete
  2. Lovely blooms! We're expecting the first run of 70(+) degree days at the end of this week, hoping that means the garden will start to look like spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've only flirted with 70F temperatures thus far ourselves, Loree. But the Santa Ana winds are expected later this week and that virtually guarantees warmer conditions.

      Delete
  3. You have sunshine and blue skies in your vase too, Kris, along with some fluffy clouds! Very spring-like, and very different from the pinks and burgundies of the other two, which coud have been from any season - although your seasons are of course far less definied than ours. Has your 'winter' been any wetter than usual this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year's rainfall was absolutely extraordinary but this "water year" (beginning October 1, 2023), which got off to a very slow start, gained momentum and our total to date currently stands at 16.31 inches. That's better than the historical norm even if our rainy season cuts off early. One year we got just over 4 inches of rain in total so we're flying high at the moment! Our 2 largest reservoirs are still only at only 33-34% of capacity, though.

      Delete
  4. Three vases. When I saw the purple and yellow I felt spring. Then that beautiful pink tulip vase. But oh the bright pinks in that leftover vase. Wow! I grow scilla too but tiny flowers that delight in bunches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scilla peruviana flowers reach a fairly good size at maturity, Donna, maybe 5-6 inches in diameter. I'm regretting that, once again, I didn't get around to dividing my clump.

      Delete
  5. I love the first one. It always boggles my mind that you can grow narcissus. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall growing Narcissi in my former shady garden but the bulbs have done really well here. They must like long hot, dry summers, Amelia.

      Delete
  6. Each vase is as inviting as the next but I love the colors in that first vase. It really looks like the very freshness of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much as I love my species tulips, the blue arrangement is my personal favorite of the arrangements too, Susie.

      Delete
  7. Ceanothus looks great in that blue vase, and Tulips! Cool! --hb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could get a better photo of that Ceanothus at the bottom of the slope, HB - it looks wonderful right now.

      Delete
  8. Oh spring has definitely sprung in your part of the world Kris 😀 A trio of beautiful vases. The first with the yellow, cream and blues captures the season so well. It's bought a smile to my face looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, all three of them! I love blue/yellow/white combo, such a Spring feeling with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! One can't go wrong with a blue, white and yellow combination.

      Delete
  10. Kris, I often cut more flowers than I need and end up with three vases! I really couldn't pick a favourite out of these three as they are all so beautiful, with each flower making its own individual statement. Together, grouped in arrangements of similar colours, they look absolutely gorgeous. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I'm prone to creating multiple floral arrangements and I'm happy to be in good company ;)

      Delete
  11. Your spring blooms are gorgeous, Kris. I imagine the scent of freesia fills the air, contrasting yellow to the anemone's blue-purple. The Lady Jane arrangement looks wonderful, too. It is an exciting time in your garden! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mid-late March, Eliza. My garden blooms like crazy!

      Delete
  12. The spring vase is perfect Kris - blue and yellow, with some scent in thre too. Love the scilla. And so nice to see your tulips. I have grown those before but they did not return after a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the third or fourth year 'Lady Jane' has bloomed for me, Cathy! As I haven't been successful with the larger tulips at all, that's a big win.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.