Friday, March 8, 2024

Tiny transient plants

It's been a busy week for appointments and, with rain complicating matters on Wednesday, I got relatively little done in the garden.  However, I did spend several chunks of time pulling weeds, especially on the back slope, taking advantage of the lower temperatures to tackle that thankless chore while the fire ants are still inactive.  While I was pulling up large clumps of grass weeds weighed down by muddy soil, I caught sight of something green I'd never noticed before.  At first I wondered if it could be lichen, which I've never seen locally, but my phone identified it for me, correctly on this occasion I believe.

This is Lunularia cruciata, aka crescent-cup liverwort, one of the world's smallest plants.  It's reported to have antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant properties.  It's native to the Mediterranean area but it's gone "wild" in California.


Unlike lichens, which are described as symbiotic combinations of fungi and algae, it turns out that liverworts are plants, ancient ones at that.  According to Britannica, fossils of liverworts more than 470 million years old have been found in Argentina.   Liverworts are related to mosses, which are also ancient plants.  Both are classified as Bryophyta.  They both lack vascular systems and produce spores rather than flowers.  Both have also managed to survive and thrive through dramatic changes in earth's climate.

Moss is also a relative anomaly here, albeit something we see on a seasonal basis provided we get a decent amount of rain.  This year's rainfall is proving to be almost as substantial as what we got during the last "water year" (calculated from October 1st through September 30th of the following calendar year).  Even though our total to date is just over sixteen inches, the accumulation of moss looks thicker than ever.  It's particularly noticeable on my shady, east-facing back slope.

Closeup of a relatively chunky segment of moss, which seems to like growing next to the concrete block stairs

View of the moss-lined stairs on the route down to the bottom of the slope in January

View along the route up the stairs in March with the moss even thicker

And it's crept to the top of the concrete stairway in the main level of the garden too


Moss has also fared well in the crevices between paving stones in many areas.  I've heard people complain about moss creating a slipping hazard, particularly when it shows up in paved areas, but it's not been a problem here.  For one thing, our summer heat sends it into a rapid retreat.  But I've also read that it's not moss but rather algae, which develops under similar circumstances, that creates slippery surfaces.  You can find an interesting article about the myths regarding moss here.

I like the soft footpath that moss creates in areas of my garden.  It's too bad that most of these disappear once summer arrives.

Moss-coated front garden path from the driveway to the lath house


Much as I appreciate the bright chartreuse green color of these transient plants in my garden, I recognize that they may have less appeal to some readers.  Here are a few of the newest spring arrivals in my garden to give you a jolt of color to start off the weekend.

Arctotis 'Large Marge'

"Blue" Freesia

Iris hollandica 'Sapphire Beauty'

Leucospermum 'High Gold' (which I formerly identified as 'Goldie' based on the seller's ID)

Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane'



Enjoy your weekend!


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


 

20 comments:

  1. Interesting information about Lunularia cruciata's excellent properties and prehistoric origins. I'll still remove it when I can, though with extra meatus of respect :-D
    If you run out of moss, let me know. I'll send you a bucket full!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The moss actually doesn't disappear entirely but rather shrivels down in retreat in response to the heat. I'm wondering if it looks thicker this year because we've had 2 years in a row of good rain (!), giving it more opportunity to spread.

      Delete
  2. Less appeal to some readers? Who does like moss or liverworts? Shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people believe many of the negative "myths" about moss mentioned in the article I linked to the post, Loree. When I was researching it, I found a lot of people asking how to get rid of it on pavement and in lawn areas, for example. The only real negative seems to be the damage it can cause when it's growing on roofs.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the "love it" camp. The moss is beautiful. 15 inches of rain so far, wow - we are at 11 so far. Your flowers in the sun are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're at 16.31 inches of rain with the last storm, Tracy. I hope it's not actually the "last" storm of the season, even if I appreciate the warmer temperatures and opportunity to dry out we have going at present. The 10-day forecast shows virtually no change of rain right now.

      Delete
  4. They must be tough to survive in your heat and going dormant is likely their survival strategy.
    I can see some vase candidates in your newest blooms! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is moving forward at speed here, Eliza!

      Delete
  5. Is that a bee in the Leucospermum? :)
    I think the moss and liverwort look wonderful and bring some very pleasant, textured green into a garden. I've actually found lichen here, but so far no mosses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to live in a lichen-free zone! Yes, both the bees and the squirrels love Leucospermums. The squirrels eat the flowers but, fortunately, they seem to wait until the seeds at the core of the flower ripen.

      Delete
  6. Surprisingly, mosses are extremely adapted to drought prone landscapes. They have the ability to dry out completely but with the arrival of any moisture they immediately absorb it and turn green. I too quite like the look of moss lining paths and along walls. Helps turn a dry landscape into something that resembles moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moss provides a cushier - and less muddy - footpath too!

      Delete
  7. Wow, everything looks healthy and lush! The pathways full of mosses, lichens, and liverworts resemble ours during most of the year when we don't have winter snow or summer drought. All your plants look robust and colorful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found any lichens yet, Beth. As I've never seen them up close and personal, I initially guessed that the liverwort might be a lichen.

      Delete
  8. The flowers are beautiful, Kris, and so good to see now your weather must be warming slightly. However, I found the first part of this post about the moss and liverworts in your garden intriguing. I also enjoyed seeing some broader sections of your garden along the stairs where the moss grows. I have moss growing in a few places around my garden, but now I'm wonder if it's moss, or algae! It's soft and fury, so I suspect it is moss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post! I love that you focused our attention on these tiny plants. We have moss in many places right now. It goes away completely as summer approaches but magically reappears with the winter rains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liverworts are a favorite of mine. We've got some weedy ones (Marchantia of some sort) in the nursery industry up here from overwatering, but I think their little gemmae and gametophores (reproductive structures that look like little cups and palm trees, respectively) are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suspect the liverwort has been there for some time. That I've only recently detected it is evidence I don't spend enough time weeding my back slope :(

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.