Friday, November 10, 2023

Fall Visit to the Getty Center (Part 2)

This post picks up where my last post left off at the open plaza at the bottom of the Stream Garden, which is the upper section of the Getty Center's Central Garden.  To orient you, I've provided another copy of the map I included in my first post.

In this second post, we're focusing on the large circular area of the map


The plaza with the Bougainvillea "trees" overlooks the circular area of the Central Garden, called the Bowl Garden.  It consists of a series of concentric beds surrounding a circular pool with a maze constructed of clipped azalea shrubs in the middle.

The clipped azalea maze, which only appears to float in the pool, has its supporters and its critics

The azalea shrubs making up the maze have flowers in various colors.  It's more colorful at some times of the year than others.


Much as I appreciated the wide range of foliage used in the Stream Garden, I've always been drawn to the flower-filled Bowl Garden, which changes with the seasons.  Like the upper area, the semi-circular beds of the Bowl Garden are framed with trees and foliage.

The trees in this area are identified as Lagerstoemia indica 'Muskogee' in Jim Duggan's book, Plants of the Getty's Central Garden, issued by Getty Publications in 2003.  The myrtles are underplanted with Chondropetalum tectorum (aka small cape rush).

The next level of the garden is lined with more crape myrtles, underplanted with masses of Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty'


Visitors enter the Bowl Garden from the zig-zag path at the bottom of the circle.  You can enter paths on either side of the bowl but the two sides don't directly connect with one another.  Each winds around to the bed below it before taking the visitor back to the zig-zag path.

View from the upper end of the west side.  Note the Corten steel edging the beds and separating them from the path.

A long view with another peek at the azalea maze below through trees and shrubs planted in the beds below

There are arches and trellises to support vines here and there

The flowers in this bed echo the colors of the azalea maze

This shot captures some of the east side of the Bowl Garden with Chrysanthemums on one level and a large Brugmansia on the level below it

This view of a pomegranate tree, Leucadendron 'Jester' and brightly-colored mums was one of my favorites


The floral displays weren't as vibrant or impressive as those I've seen during my spring visits but then flowers take a beating during our long, dry summers.  In retrospect, even though I've pulled mine to make way for cool season flowers, I'm surprised that I didn't see any Cosmos, Dahlias, or Zinnias in the Bowl Garden as all are hallmarks of our late summer/early fall season.  There were lots of Chrysanthemums and a handful of foxgloves, not at their prime this early in the fall season.  Mum foliage is relatively uninteresting, at least to me, but the flowers are admittedly useful to provide splashes of temporary color during this in-between season.  There are some spectacular mums but those I saw at the Getty were fairly ordinary.  Angelonia, Barleria obtusa, Hibiscus, Salvia leucantha, Senna, Strelitzia, and Tagetes lemmonii bloom here at this time of year but I didn't see any of those plants.  Here are closeups of some of what I did see:


Top row: Heliotropium, Pentas lanceolata, and what I think is Plectranthus ecklonii
Middle: Cyclamen, Digitalis purpurea, and Senecio 'Angel Wings'
Bottom: assorted Chrysanthemums

Top row: Celosia, Xerochrysum bracteatum, and Iresine
Middle: noID Salvia and Digiplexis
Bottom: Tagetes with Violas, Chrysanthemums with Celosia, and Punica granatum (pomegranate)



When we left the Central Garden, we headed to the Cactus Garden, which required a climb.

This large Monstera deliciosa was tucked into an alcove we passed as we headed upward

A pretty Bougainvillea rambled down a stone wall

From the top level of the West Pavilion you can see the surrounding area, including Century City, which is visible in this shot.  From another angle (not shown) we could make out downtown Los Angeles, blurred by smog.

View of part of the Cactus Garden from overhead, including tree aloes and giant Euphorbias

A better view of the same plants close up

This is as close as visitors can get to the Cactus Garden, loaded with what appears to be Agave americana and barrel cacti




That's a wrap on my coverage of our trip to the Getty Center.  If you're interested in seeing some spring views, you can find links to my 2013 and 2016 posts on the Getty gardens here and here.  I don't have any photos from my pre-blogging days.


Best wishes for a peaceful weekend.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party






  

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, I feel the same about mums. I haven't been to the garden, but recognize quite a few of those shots. The bougainvillea is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some beautiful "fancy" mums, like the big ones with spider-like flowers. I'm surprised that the Getty wouldn't have sought out some of those but maybe their flowering period is too short to make that worthwhile.

      Delete
  2. I love that cactus garden and remember that bright bougainvillea. I also caught sight of the sea of blue chalk sticks under the aloes and euphorbia, a favorite feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed the chalk stick Senecios too - they look so much better than mine!

      Delete
  3. They do change up the plantings frequently which is fun--always just enough different to keep you looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to pay a visit in summer to see what it's like. On this occasion, I liked the Stream Garden more than the Bowl Garden, which for a flower fanatic is unusual. While I appreciated the addition of the Mangaves to the former, I also found I missed some of the lush foliage they used there back in 2013 and 2016.

      Delete
  4. It's an interesting place. Though I haven't been there from the photos I have seen the garden seems more of a stage set to the unique architecture of the building. Will have to make it there one day to get a full impression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "stage set" is a good description, Elaine. It's definitely worth a half-day visit if you find yourself down this way - the art exhibits alone always offer something of interest too.

      Delete
  5. The uniformed underplanted crape myrtles with their pretty bleached trunks is the best part of the circle garden.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trees underplanted with Chondropetalum in one area and variegated Lomandra in another are impressive, Chavli. I've yet to plant a crape myrtle but I have both the restio and the grass substitute Lomandra and I love both - I just wish I had more space for them to spread out.

      Delete
  6. It sure has been an age since I've been to the Getty-I've always made it a day trip when staying in Santa Barbra. But oy, the traffic ! I think I've always gone in April. It would be fun to visit in every season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The traffic along that route is a perpetual headache but the parking lot in the bowls of the lot under the Getty puts me off a bit too. If my memory is correct, I've always gone in spring before this visit too. I'd like to see it in early summer (before it gets super hot).

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I want to be there right now. (Although this next week will be unseasonably warm in my part of the country, so it could be worse.) Happy mid-November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend visiting in spring or early summer for the best show in the Getty's Central Garden, Beth. It's also supposed to rain here next week ;)

      Delete
  8. This really is a well-designed garden. I totally missed the cactus garden when I was there! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cactus Garden is a good climb up and away from the Central Garden to the top of the West Pavilion, Eliza - and you can't actually walk into it the Cactus Garden. The climb offers good city views, though, so it's worth a look next time you're there.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.