Monday, November 6, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Seasonal support

Now that I've cleared my cutting garden, there aren't many flowers to fill a vase.  My options are to focus on foliage, go small, or make use of succulents.  I'll probably use all three strategies off and on until my cool season plants jump into gear, which is likely to take at least two months and possibly longer, depending upon our weather.  However, I do have a few plants that commonly flower at this time of year.  I featured two of these, Senna bicapsularis and Tagetes lemonnii, in one of last week's arrangements.  This week I focused on the bush violet, Barleria obtusa, a drought tolerant South African native.

While the bush violets inspired the arrangement, bearded Iris 'Autumn Circus' grabbed the spotlight.  The Iris has been blooming for over 2 weeks but the recent Santa Ana winds desiccated some buds before they had a chance to open so I decided to take advantage of the the last 2 blooms.

Back view: I'd meant to cut the Vitex trifolia stems the night before putting this arrangement together but never got around to it, hence the drooping foliage in these photographs taken Sunday.  They should be standing upright by Monday morning.

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Barleria obtusa, Iris germanica 'Autumn Circus', self-seeded Osteospermum, Pentas lanceolata, and Vitex trifolia



I relied heavily on foliage to create a second arrangement this week.

This one was inspired by my favorite ivy geranium, Pelargonium peltatum 'Dark Burgundy'; however, the rainbow colors of Plectranthus scutellarioides 'Florida Sun Rose' (aka coleus) assumed center stage

Back view: The only true flowers in this arrangement are a few Pelargonium stems and the pink Pentas lanceolata

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey', Leucadendron salignum 'Winter Red', Prostanthera ovatifolia 'Variegata, Pelargonium peltatum 'Dark Burgundy', P. sidoides, Pentas lanceolata, and Plectranthus scutellarioides 'Florida Sun Rose'

 

After nearly two weeks of excessively warm temperatures and dry winds, it looks as though our morning marine layer will bring back cooler, more fall-like temperatures this week.  Unfortunately, the atmospheric river that's enveloped the Pacific Northwest isn't likely to bring any rain this far south.  I've heard that the rainy season here may not get rolling until January.

 

For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

28 comments:

  1. Both arrangements are beautiful. The Iris is a head turner, not only because it's pretty, but also because it's so unusual to see an Iris bloom this time of year, although from searching the internet I realize this variety is known for re-blooming in fall. Is this its second round in your garden?
    I'm envious of anyone who is able to grow coleus. It's been a long time since my last failure... maybe I'll give it another try next year.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most, if not all, of my small collection of bearded Iris are "reblooming" varieties but, thus far, most have bloomed just once each year (if that). 'Autumn Circus' didn't bloom earlier when the others did. Sadly, the 2 flowers on the stalk I cut yesterday have already withered.

      Delete
  2. We're drowning up here! I look forward to seeing what you come up with each week in your off-season. This week's creations don't look like they suffered at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO wish you could send some of that rain down this way, Loree! The Santa Ana winds have been making our dry conditions even worse.

      Delete
  3. With that lot of flowers to make two themed arrangements I must have some wonderful plants and flowers all around the garden, since you say you have cleared out your cutting garden. That Iris is a real beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though its known as an autumn bloomer (hence its name), the Iris surprised me, Noelle. My bearded Iris haven't done especially well for several years and I'm not sure why - the tubers aren't crowded but maybe they need more fertilizer and/or water.

      Delete
  4. Well, you've worked your magic again! That Iris is stunning, and the foliage combinations are perfect. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. Maybe the Camellia sasanqua will come through next week.

      Delete
  5. I had to smile at your first bouquet as it looks totally spring-like to me. Nothing I'd ever see in November. I love creating displays with foliage, esp. when it's that colorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always expect to see the bush violet blooms earlier in the year because they seem out-of-place late in the year, yet they never bloom until late October at earliest. Despite its name, Iris 'Autumn Circus' also comes as a surprise to me but then I tend to view all bearded Iris blooms as mini-miracles. As to the coleus, I should grow more of them as they hold on well into fall.

      Delete
  6. Two beautiful vases Kris - my favourite is the first one.The iris is stunning and I'm drawn to the foliage interest of the vitex. I'm envious of just how much you have in flower at this time of year 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers seem thin to me but then, living in coastal southern California, I tend to expect flowers year-round even when the days grow shorter, Anna. As to frost, I'm not sure I'd know it if I saw it anymore.

      Delete
  7. The purple one is fabulous, even more so with the vase.

    My 'Clarence' Iris is in bloom also--it seems to prefer autumn to spring for blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked up that vase in a secondhand store for almost nothing several years ago. The Iris was in full bloom when I cut the stem yesterday but it's already withered away. I have a "reblooming" 'Clarence' Iris too but it hasn't bothered to bloom in either spring or autumn even though it's planted in the same area as 'Autumn Circus' and receives the same treatment :(

      Delete
  8. Oh I love your stunning use of foliage especially in the second vase! That iris in the first certainly caught my eye. Big swoon for irises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish those bearded Irises were more reliable with their bloom schedules here, Donna. Most of mine are "reblooming" varieties but I count myself lucky if they bloom just once a year.

      Delete
  9. These are both utterly charming, Kris, and certainly don't give the impression that pickings are slim - you have mixed and matched foliage and blooms in such a stylish way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking you may see a LOT of Grevillea 'Superb' from me over the next couple of months, Cathy ;)

      Delete
  10. I love both, the blue one is a little "moody" which fits November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike many of my plants, the bush violets are very dependable fall bloomers, Tracy. In contrast, I can never count on if or when the bearded Iris will show up.

      Delete
  11. What a treat to be able to go out and cut flowers at this time of year. Beautiful arrangements and a striking iris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, the Iris has already thrown in the towel, Elaine - but it was nice while it lasted!

      Delete
  12. I love how lines of bush violet and vitex trace a spiral toward the reblooming iris. I used to have some reblooms of iris in autumn but not sure what's happened to them. The reds in the second vase are so rich and colorful. Outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. You have a much more analytical eye than I do!

      Delete
  13. I can imagine the wind is hard on the garden Kris. We get a lot of dry wind here in spring and summer too, living so exposed on a hill, and the garden gets singed even without extreme heat. Any way, you have still managed to create two beautiful arrangements. The iris is a lovely centrepiece for the first one and in the second one the pinky red shades with fresh green are most attractive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy. Facing the open port at an elevation more than 800 feet above sea level, we often get walloped by wind too.

      Delete
  14. I love them both! The barleria is a favorite and the iris goes well with it. And of course, I adore burgundy and pink, so number 2 gets high marks as well. You may say you don't have much in your garden, but your creativity wins every time. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started taking photos for GBBD today, Eliza, and the pickings really look thin to me at the moment but then, as the saying goes, "everything is relative" ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.