Friday, November 24, 2023

First-rate foliage

When flowers fade into the background during the fall season, foliage is allowed to stand out.  It's a great time to take a closer look at it so I did.   I wanted to share the highlights, as well as a few problems.

With their sculptural good looks, many succulents are worthy of admiration.

I planted a variety of Aeonium cuttings below a strawberry tree earlier this year.  The reddish color of  Aeonium 'Jack Catlin' looks particularly striking when backlit by the sun.


I have several Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' rosettes in a bed adjacent to the front door walkway.  This variety doesn't pup much but I noticed that the one on the right has developed another rosette in the middle of the first one.

Agave 'Joe Hoak' and the squid agaves next to it (Agave bracteosa) have grown dramatically larger this year but they complement each other nicely
Agave ovatifolia (aka whale's tongue agave) always looks good.  I got stabbed several times pulling leaves out of its folds and still didn't get all of them prior to taking this photo.

My original Mangave 'Lavender Lady' is on the left.  The one on the right, planted 2 years ago, is quickly catching up in size.

The rain also contributed to a growth spurt on the part of Mangave 'Red Wing', planted earlier this year



But succulents aren't the only plants that warrant notice.  There are a lot more.

With summer's heat finally gone and a bit of rain, Acanthus mollis has returned in 2 areas.  These plants never died back entirely in my former garden but they routinely do so here.

The Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' in the front garden (left) are looking especially fluffy.  Those in the back garden look good when viewed from the front but they're in serious need of a cleanup in the rear.

Carex 'Feather Falls' rebounded after being eaten to the ground by rabbits this spring.  The Coprosma repens 'Everglow' next to them have done better in this spot than the small-leafed Coprosmas anywhere else in the garden.

A year or 2 ago I couldn't walk into a garden center without finding Centaurea 'Silver Feather' but I haven't seen any since.  I wanted another to balance out the 2 I have in the front garden but I guess I'm going to have to get it by taking cuttings.

Cordyline 'Can Can' wasn't happy planted in the ground but it's adapted well to growing in a pot

Dasylirion longissima (aka Mexican grass tree) is getting crowded out by its neighbors but it seems happy enough.  I still can't get the bermuda grass weeds growing at its base out without getting stabbed.

Hebe 'Purple Shamrock' is getting a little woody but I love it

I've planted a lot of Lomandra in my garden as a grass substitute.  These are some of the clumps of Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty' scattered about the garden, which glow beautifully in the right light.  It's also neater than my Mexican feather grass (Nasella tenuissima) and doesn't self-seed.  I'm thinking of using it as a replacement in a couple of areas.

There are 5 Phormium 'Maori Queen' in my front garden.  These are 2 of them.  The only care they require here involve cleaning out the dead leaves at the base 2-3 times a year.

Ruscus hypoglossum (aka spineless butcher's broom and mouse thorn), planted in 2014, was uncovered when I cut back the Acacia 'Cousin Itt' in the front garden.  This is another great plant for dry shade.  Flower emerge from the middle of the cladodes (aka "fake leaves) in late winter.



We still don't have much in the way of fall color but then it's never plentiful.

This Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku', planted on the east side of the garage, reliably turns color each fall but another one that gets less shade usually drops all its leaves in late summer.  Japanese maples here want protection from intense afternoon sun and high winds.

The 'Fuyu' persimmon tree (Diospyros kaku) also develops fall color but warm temperatures have delayed it some this year.  In contrast, the 'Hachiya' persimmon usually drops its leaves before they color up much.



I promised to share some problem cases too.

Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' has developed a bad infestation of what I think may be scale this year.  It's happened before and usually requires a hard pruning of affected branches and treatment with Neem oil to control.

Aloe vanbalenii x ferox and the Agave attenuata 'Raea's Gold' next to it are crowding each other.  I think moving the agave is probably the answer - I just need to figure out where.

I clearly planted Leucadendron 'Ebony' too close to Leucadendron salignum 'Chief', which I never expected to get so massive.  Leucadendrons reportedly don't deal well with being moved so I'm planning to try some cuttings that I can plant elsewhere if they take, perhaps in the empty spot previously occupied by the Psorlea pinnata we removed a few months ago.  


That's it for this week.  By way of an update to those of you who expressed concerns about my cat, Pipig, although the radiologist thinks cancer is probably a factor, we remain hopeful.  She's rediscovered her heating pad and it seems to offer comfort, which is helpful at least for now.




All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

17 comments:

  1. If I had more room, I would definitely plant a persimmon tree. I hope Pipig feels better soon. I know that is so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care all that much for persimmon fruit but I love the trees, Phillip - and the appearance of the fruit on the trees. It's generally easy to find people willing to take the fruit off my hands too, although one day I may try making persimmon bread.

      Delete
    2. Same here, I just like the foliage the most.

      Delete
  2. I do love foliage posts best! As such, you have many beauties in your garden.
    Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' to start with, Wow, (and not a bad thing that it is well behaved), followed by Mangave 'Lavender Lady'. Not often charmed by mangave, (the spots...), yours are absolute perfection!
    I chuckled at "neater than my Mexican feather grass". It is gorgeous when swaying in the wind, but then there's a price to pay: hugely messy and a prolific re-seeder. Your Lomandra is a beauty. An excellent choice for replacement and less work for you.
    Pretty Pipig looks perfectly content!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mangave 'Lavender Lady' seems to be universally loved, Chavli. She is a looker in terms of shape and color. As to Aeoniums, I've become obsessed with collecting them, although some of them are happier and more prolific than others here.

      Delete
  3. Lots of beautiful foliage Kris! I admit to laughing a bit when I scrolled down to the Leucadendron 'Ebony' photo, yikes! So do you plan on trying to move Ebony then? They look so lovely together, if the 'Chief' was just a little less massive. I'm so glad Pipig has found some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I've read suggests that moving a Leucadendron of the size of that 'Ebony' would probably be a death sentence so my inclination is to cut 'Chief' back a bit more, while leaving both of them where they are. I'll try to take a few cuttings of 'Ebony' now, during our cool season (if it ever stays cool), to see if I can get a plant large enough to transplant elsewhere in less cozy circumstances. I could buy a second plant - and it may come to that - but I choke a little every time I see the going price for them in the local garden centers. I got my original plant for a song when it was labeled as 'Safari Sunset'.

      Delete
  4. I too am looking for a replacement for Mexican feather grass. It was so beautiful for the first few years and I was excited to finally get a few seedlings. But, then I guess the seed bank built up enough and Boom! too many seedlings. I'm thinking it's going to have to go. Grasses are a hard one to get right. Ruscus are a favorite of mine. Such a cool, sturdy plant. I really like the form of your Dasylirion longissimum.
    Glad Pipig is comfortable again. Every day with a contented cat is a day well spent in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are good at hiding pain but Pipig seems comfortable most of the time, except in the middle of one of her gagging episodes. We only had a couple of those yesterday so maybe the injected antibiotic is making a difference after all - I can only hope at this point. I spoke to the vet again today as she's pushing me to add a second oral antibiotic to the mix before we move on to the cancer discussion. We've agreed to try to get a resting respiratory rate to aid with the decision before moving ahead on the second antibiotic (which I already have on hand).

      Delete
  5. Great examples of beautiful foliage, Kris. The Aeoniums and Leucadendrons always catch my eye, but all your examples are wonderful. Pigpig is a sweetheart. Warm, healing thoughts are coming your way. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I hope you enjoyed a happy Thanksgiving too. We had a lowkey holiday as, in addition to the situation with Pipig, my husband was recovering from oral surgery. We may have our real Thanksgiving meal today ;)

      Delete
  6. Best wishes for beautiful Pipig. It's so hard...

    Many eye-catching plants to admire--the Carex that managed to survive rabbits, the elegant 'Lavender Lady', 'Silver Feather', the Hebe, your miraculous 'Cousin Itt'...

    I think the 'Mardi Gras' on the right might be getting ready to flower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Mardi Gras' didn't look like it was preparing to flower to me but then I've never seen this variety flower before. Time will tell...

      Delete
  7. I hope Pipig is feeling much better today with the additional antibiotics. I love all the beautiful color - and really like the bed with Joe Hoak & bracteosa! OOh, that's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken quite awhile for the squid agaves to take off, Tracy, but they've finally developed a presence of sorts - and they're pupping like crazy!

      Delete
  8. Sorry that you and Pipig are dealing with her serious health challenge. It is a gut-wrenching thing to see a beloved pet suffer any illness, so much of it is guess work since they can't tell us what is going on. Sending love and hope your way. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. I see improvement since we started the second (different) antibiotic on Saturday. I'm knocking wood that's not just rosy-colored glasses on my part. I imagine the vet will run more x-rays when we return for a followup on December 5th.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.