Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Bloom Day - November 2023

When I look at my garden I see far fewer flowers than there were last month when I still had dahlias, zinnias and cosmos but I admit I still have more than many gardeners in colder parts of the Northern Hemisphere.   We don't get frosts here but we haven't had much rain either and it's very dry as we wait for our first real rain of the 2024 "water year" this week.  I'm looking forward to it - despite the surprise provided by Tropical Storm Hilary in September, my rain barrels have already been dry far too long.


I'll kick off this post with the plants putting on the best show this month.

The blue flowers are Barlera obtusa, aka bush violet.  It's a drought tolerant South African native.  I've never seen it in a local nursery or garden center.  I picked up a single 1-gallon pot at a local botanic garden's plant sale several years ago and I now have 2 large clumps in my back garden and 2 in the front.  It self-seeds freely but it's easy to control.  The bees and hummingbirds love it!

I inherited 3 Camellia sasanqua shrubs with the garden.  There are 2 varieties but they're almost identical in color if not form.  The recent Santa Ana winds took out the first flush of flowers but they're on a roll now.

Tagetes lemmonii, aka Copper Canyon daisy and Mexican marigold, blooms lightly in spring and more robustly in autumn.  We took out a large shrub that previously loomed over the Tagetes late last year and it's never bloomed as well.  It has a strong scent that generally doesn't bother me but my husband tolerates it in only small doses.


There are other plants offering decent, if less splashy, shows.

This is a mix of 3 colors of Catharanthus roseus, aka the humble vinca.  I never gave these annuals the recognition they deserve until this summer.

All my Correas, aka Australian fuchsias, are blooming.  The variety shown in the top row is Correa 'Ivory Bells'.  The 2 in the bottom row are Correa 'Dusky Bells' and C. 'Wyn's Wonder', a variegated form.  They're the very definition of subtle flowers but, unlike true fuchsias, they get by on relatively little water. 


All the Cupheas are currently in need of a good pruning but, given the minimal attention they've received from me, they're looking pretty good.  From left to right are Cuphea 'Honeybells', C. 'Starfire Pink', and C. 'Vermillionaire'.

What can I say?  My top workhorse, Grevillea 'Superb' never, ever stops blooming.  This is another bee and hummingbird magnet.

Many of my Leucadendrons are currently covered in flower-like bracts.  Leucadendron 'Summer Red', left and top right, is outdoing itself this year.  The one on the lower right is L. 'Blush'.


I have 3 varieties of Pennisetums in bloom.  The 2 shown here are Pennisetum 'Sky Rocket' and P. advena 'Rubrum'.

This is another humble plant that deserves an honorable mention.  It's Persicaria capitata (aka pink knotweed) It's truly a weed in some areas but it's been remarkably well behaved here, even if it did plant itself underneath 3 potted blueberry shrubs in my back garden.


There were a couple of surprises.

I planted 5 bulbs of Amarine belladiva 'Emanuelle' 2 and a half years ago.  All 5 have bloomed for the first time, albeit on completely independent time schedules.  The one shown here is finishing up and the 5th one has buds preparing to open.  They're an intergeneric hybrid of Amaryllis belladonna and Nerine bowdenii.

If Salvia discolor with its light green foliage and its blackish-purple flowers has a bloom schedule, I've yet to figure it out.  It's a relatively uncommon plant that's been part of my garden for several years now.


There are some flowers that largely disappeared earlier this month but they're worthy of mention nonetheless.

Clockwise from the upper left, flowers that were taken out prematurely by the hot, dry Santa Ana winds include: Eriocapitella hupehensis (aka Japanese anemone), Senna bicapsularis, Hemerocallis 'Persian Market', and Iris germanica 'Autumn Circus'


And, then there are plants that are only just stepping onto the stage to take advantage of our cool season even if cooler temperatures are taking their time to settle in.

Aloes and other succulents are starting to flower.  Clockwise from the upper left are: noID small Aloe, A. 'Safari Orange', A. 'Safari Sunset', Echeveria 'Black Prince', and Faucaria tigrina.

Argyranthemums are short-lived perennial shrubs here.  These are 2 new ones: Argyranthemum 'Grandaisy Dark Pink' and A. 'Angelic Maize'.

Defying its name once again this year, Metrosideros collina 'Springfire' is flowering in the fall.  The plant is currently covered in buds.

The Osteospermums have struggled to rebound as our "cool season" has been punctuated by several excessively warm spells.  In the top row are: Osteospermum '4D Pink', O. '4D White', and O. 'Double Yellow'.  The bottom row shows a more vigorous self-seeded variety, which I think may be the offspring of O. 'Violet Ice' with a little O. 'Berry White' in the mix.


Even though my perception is that there aren't many flowers at this time of year, there's obviously a lot of color left in my garden, even if much of it isn't as bountiful as the spring and summer displays.  I'll end as I usually do with the best of the rest organized by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: berries of noID Cotoneaster, Dipladenia 'Sundenia Coral', Gaillardia 'Spintop Copper Sun', 2 noID Gazanias, Rudbeckia hirta, and Pelargonium peltatum 'Dark Burgundy'

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Claire', Angelonia 'Archangel White', Antirrhinum majus, Dipladenia 'Sundenia White', Pandorea jasminoides, and Pentas lanceolata

Clockwise from the upper left: noID Angelonia, Bauhinia x blakeana, Fuchsia 'Wind Chimes White', and Pentas lanceolata

Clockwise from the upper left: Anchusa capensis, Calibrachoa 'Mini Double Blue', Hebe 'Grace Kelly', Polygala myrtifolia, Salvia 'Mystic Spires', noID Scaevola, Trichostemma 'Midnight Magic', and Viola 'Peach Penny'


For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts, visit our host, Carol of May Dreams Gardens.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



32 comments:

  1. Less flowers than spring and summer? How can you tell? :-D
    Oh, I'm kidding of course... here is such an abundance of bloom in your November garden. For comparison: my garden currently features the cheery yellow flowers of Mahonia 'soft caress'. That's it.
    I love the soft color of bush violet, I wonder why it's not available in nurseries, though it's fun to grow something not often seen in other gardens.
    I'm salivating over Salvia discolor. A stunning photo.
    White Marguerite daisy was a standard feature in my childhood garden, soI love it. Your red-flowering one is particularly charming.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe that my Mahonia 'Charity' doesn't usually bloom until late winter/early spring (if at all) and that my Mahonia 'Soft Caress' dropped dead within its first year! I can't explain why the bush violet is so obscure in the nursery marketplace. It does get big and it can spread but it's been growing in my garden since November 2014 and I've found it very easy to manage. I cut it nearly to the ground when it finishes blooming and it springs back within a month with attractive green foliage. And it has blue flowers! Who doesn't want perennial blue flowers?

      Delete
    2. Soft Caress blooms early. My other Mahonia (Charity?) doesn't bloom till late winter!

      Delete
  2. Dang! So many things in bloom. The bush violet is new to me, I think it's beautiful. The bright yellow of the tagetes lemonnii is fabulous. You and Piece of Eden with the ever blooming Grevilleas. I'm going to have to go out and have a talk with mine, I'm assuming it's the different zone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My USDA zone is considered 11a now, Tracy, and sunset zone 24. I expect you get a lot colder in winter than we do. I haven't seen frost in the 12+ years we've lived here and rarely saw it in the SoCal beach cities I lived in previously.

      Delete
  3. Simple as it is, that Salvia discolor steals the show for me. I so wish I could winter it over in my garden! According to the newly released USDA Zone maps I'm now in Zone 9—ha! Remember last winter?—so maybe I should give it another try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The USDA zones seem to be sliding all over the place, Loree. Frankly, I don't put much stock in them as they don't encompass a broad enough range of factors in identifying plant suitability. The Sunset zones are more helpful, although they don't cover anything but the western part of the country and I don't know how often (if at all) they're reevaluated in the light of climate change.

      Delete
  4. You are lucky to have so many beautiful blooms in November. Your violet bush is very interesting! Not too many blooms left in my gardens but my Thanksgiving cacti are blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My climate is very different than yours in western Kentucky, Judy. Coastal Southern California is considered one of 5 areas of the would with a "Mediterranean climate" (mild wettish winters and warm/hot summers). That's why I can grow plants native to areas like South Africa and parts of Australia.

      Delete
  5. There are some dreamy flowers in your garden. Trying to just enjoy your photos of them and not feel bad that I can't grow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come to realize that every climate offers its pluses and its minuses, Linda. I'm lucky to be able to garden year-round but plagued by persistent drought. Our current rain "event" hasn't amounted to much yet - so far, we've had 0.06/inch of rain. At least flooding is out of the picture!

      Delete
  6. I enjoy looking at flowers I can not grow in my Southern Tier of New York yard, and your bush violets and Hebe "Grace Kelly" did not disappoint. Also, your camillas. (Believe it or not I tried to grow camillas once, and even blogged about it). It would be amazing to visit your part of the country, especially in the winter. At least I can grow cupheas as an annual, and enjoy the ruby-throated hummingbirds that visit it between early May and early September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our climates couldn't be much different, Alana. I'm betting you can grow many things that I can't. I've been trying to grow peonies on and off for decades - even the Majorcan peony I planted years ago has only bloomed 2 or 3 times.

      Delete
  7. I must try the Barleria--just need a place to put it. Who doesn't love blue flowers indeed! Seems like it might look striking with the Tagetes--it certainly goes well with the pink Camellia.

    Catharanthus--they were good here this summer too.

    Here looks like the storm is going to under-deliver--but even a little rain does wonders. We got one heavy shower--observation determined the rain gutter now no longer blocked by an errant tennis ball is working correctly again. Like a small amount of rain, a small victory on the home maintenance front is a still a victory. --hoov b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can't find the Barleria, let me know. It's not producing seed - or seedlings - just yet but I'll save some when it does. I haven't tried propagating it from cuttings but offhand it seems like that should work too.

      We've had rain, heavier since the late afternoon. So far we're up to 0.29/inch, which is more than Weather Underground originally projected for today. Nothing much more expected from now through Friday but another round on Saturday. Projected total is still less than 1/2 an inch but the 50-gallon tank is already full. I haven't tried to assess the other 2 tanks in the dark. Better than nothing!

      Delete
  8. Wow, the bush violet is lovely. The grevilleas are stunning too. I have planted a few of those and so far they are okay. You have so many blooms. Practically none here at my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I perceive the flower count to be on the low side, Phillip, I know it comes off as floriferous in comparison to gardens in colder climates ;)

      Delete
  9. Once again I am amazed by all your blooms! I love it all, especially the bush violet with its vibrant color! The Metrosideros collina 'Springfire' is beautiful too as it blooms in autumn! Here in the northeast, we are in fall mode with lots of changing colors, but the temperatures today are in the 50's, which is mild for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Metrosideros 'SpringFire' is supposed to bloom in spring/summer but mine consistently blooms in late fall, Lee. It's appreciated, especially as it looks like it's going to put in a good show this year, but perplexing!

      Delete
  10. Lots of colour still. I do love Salvia discolor but it blooms too late here for us even when in a pot. The nice thing about this time of the year is with fewer flowers you notice more of the textural interests of your combos, shrubs/trees, and succulents. Still tons to see and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My IAVOM arrangements are stingier (and more repetitive) but otherwise I enjoy the fall season.

      Delete
  11. Wow, where to start? It's all so colorful and fresh. I think a trip to SoCal or Florida or another warm, fertile location is called for soon. Thanks for sharing! Truly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do get time to enjoy yourself in one or another warm climate this winter, Beth!

      Delete
  12. My favorites this month are the Barlera obtusa, Tagetes lemmonii, Persicaria capitata, Salvia discolor, and Faucaria tigrina. The Iris germanica 'Autumn Circus' is always going to give me a startle because of the timing of the bloom and I had to cross my eyes a few time at the yellow Rudbeckia hirta to figure that one out. I keep seeing the latter as a cluster of yellow lotus flowers because my brain keeps interpreting the tubular ray flowers as little individual pea flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Faucaria tigrina has surprised me, Jerry. It's a fairly small plant but it's literally produced a new bright yellow flower every 2-3 days for at least a month. The yellow Rudbeckia has me confused too. It was part of a 6-pack of plugs labeled as Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherokee Sunset'. Most of those flowers were either a deep brown color or yellow with reddish-brown. This one looks distinctly different in form and color from its supposed siblings.

      Delete
    2. There is definitely a daylength trigger for many of our succulents to start blooming this time of year. I've got aloes, stapelia, hoya, haworthia, etc all starting to bloom in the greenhouse. Faucaria is a cute one.

      Delete
  13. Still lots of lovelies blooming, Kris! I think even at your 'low' season, you have more in bloom than during my peak season in mid-summer. :)
    Always a pleasure to peruse your BD posts! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty! I love that Persian Market daylily. I am almost envious of your flowers. Almost, because you never get a rest, no winters off for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a glow of color coming from your way! A nice antidote for the grey skies here in PA right now. I envy your Argyranthemum especially as they would be not at all hardy here. And that Persicaria is stunning in a pot! Will have to look for that one. Happy belated GBBD! -Julie

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.