Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Gardeners are the most generous people

I met up with blogger friend Hoover Boo of Piece of Eden at Sherman Gardens in Corona Del Mar yesterday.  Workers there were in the midst of setting up a nighttime light show scheduled to launch in early December so it wasn't quite the garden we expected but we had a good time catching up and talking about plants anyway.  I'll post some photos of Sherman Gardens later this week but, as HB arrived bearing plants, let me share what she passed along to me in exchange for the single Barleria obtusa (bush violet) seedling I managed to find in my garden to pass along to her.

This is an overhead shot of the bounty I brought home


Here are some closeups:

On the left are Aloe cameronii 'Red' commingling with Agave bracteosa 'Monterrey Frost'.  On the right is Agave titanota 'White Ice'.  Some of these will be handy additions to the soon-to-be renovated succulent bed in front of our garage.

On the left is Begonia 'Irene Nuss', which may find a home in or near my lath (shade) house.  On the right is a substantial seedling  of Heteromeles arbutifolia (aka toyon).  The huge toyon that came with my garden suddenly dropped dead several years ago and I've missed it.  I'm tempted to plant it in the spot formerly occupied by the original toyon but the bottom of the slope along the property line might be a good choice too.
The huge bulb on the left is Hippeastrum papilio (aka butterfly amaryllis).  I planted out 3 of these bulbs years ago and they disappeared.  I've already identified a sunnier location for this one.  The bulbs on the right are Sprekelia formosisima.  I planted 5 of these bulbs in 2022 but only got one bloom this year.  HB suggested patience.  I'll be planting these in the same general area as the others.



Barring a sudden change in the weather, I plan to get my new plants in the ground or in pots this week.  There's not much else going on in my garden at the moment, although I do have two small updates.

Hippeastrum 'Apricot Parfait' is already blooming!  It looks like it's going to produce a second flower stalk too.

Late last week our 'Fuyu' persimmon tree (Diospyros kaki) had just the faintest touch of color in its leaves.  All of a sudden it's making a statement.  This tree and my Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' provide more fall color than anything else in my garden.


There's a slight chance of rain Wednesday night into Thursday.  I'm not holding my breath.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party






17 comments:

  1. I don't think most of us realize when we start gardening how many plants will find their way into our gardens as gifts from other gardeners. Love that fall color. So rich and lush. I am growing a trio of Amaryllis bulbs for the first time in years. Love the two tones on yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 9 new Hippeastrum bulbs this year (!!!) but 'Apricot Parfait' is the only one to take off quickly, probably because it'd already started sprouting in the bag it was shipped in. I grow the new ones in pots outside so they generally take a lot longer to get going. And the ones I've planted in the ground don't usually bloom until spring (if at all). I'm having a harder time getting them to naturalize here than they did in my former tiny garden.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful gifts, the cameronii is so full of color. Your Amaryllis is very pretty. Did you get a bit of rain there? We did get a bit overnight, not much but it was good to get a rinse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain here yet, Tracy, but the forecasters keep teasing the possibility. If we get any, it won't be much and it'll probably show up late tonight.

      Delete
  3. Nothing beats meeting another garden enthusiast, in a great garden and exchanging plant gifts!
    Aloe cameronii 'Red' surly lives up to its name and makes a stunning statement when in bloom. Luck you!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to save the Aloe for the renovated succulent bed, although it's now looking as though that project will be pushed off by the holidays into January.

      Delete
  4. The best plants are the ones that come from friends. I have never seen 'Apricot Parfait'. It's a stunner. Trying new one to me this year 'Wild Amazon' with a similar colouration. So far no growth from the bulb but it's early days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Wild Amazone' is a beauty, Elaine. I was tempted by that one too but I'd already invested in 9 new ones this year - and I couldn't even tell you how many I've planted out in the garden over the years. Sadly, they haven't done as well in the ground as those I grew in my former garden. I'm inclined to blame the drier conditions.

      Delete
  5. Good gardening friends are worth their weight in plants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gardeners are really the best. What a fun exchange. I just traded mint (!) for some calamansi fruit -- hardly fair if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a gardening friend that wanted mint, Anne! I inherited a patch of it with the garden and I haven't been able to get rid of it in over 12 years of trying ;)

      Delete
  7. Gardeners are truly the most generous of people. Plant mania is infectious! :D Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one infection we don't need a vaccination for, Eliza!

      Delete
  8. That Aloe cameroni is a real stunner with all that red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! At present, I'm planning to work it into the succulent bed in front of our garage when I renovate it.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.