Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Fall Visit to the Getty Center (Part 1)

My sister-in-law was in town and my husband and I thought she might enjoy a trip to the Getty Center as she hadn't been there in well over a decade.  As a matter of fact, I haven't been there in over seven years, which is remarkable as it isn't all that far away. 

This colorful display greeted us as soon as we walked into the visitor center after the tram ride up from the parking area


The Center contains the Getty Museum, a wide variety of art exhibits changed out regularly, and wonderful gardens.  Admission is free but parking isn't; however, that cost is nominal.  I've visited several times since its Central Garden opened in 1997 but I think this is the first time I've been there this late in the year.  We checked out exhibits on photographer Arthur Tress and printmaker, painter and poet William Blake but my focus was of course the Central Garden.  I'll cover the upper level of that garden in this post and will follow up with an overview of the lower level of the Central Garden, as well as the Cactus Garden, on Friday.

This is an overhead view of the upper section of the Central Garden from the main plaza level.  Navigating the multiple levels of Getty Center is an challenge in itself as you can see in this map.



The Central Garden is 134,000 square feet in size and was designed by an artist, Robert Irwin.

Irwin memorialized the garden with the statement shown here embedded in concrete



As Irwin said, the garden is every-changing.  New plants are constantly introduced while others are traded out; however, the basic structure of the garden with its switchback and winding paths remains the same.  The garden was less flowerful at this time of year, yet still packed with vibrant color.  

The main sections of the garden are framed by foliage plants.  On the upper level these include deergrass (Muhlenbergia rigens), silver carpet groundcover (Dymondia margaretae), what I think is lilyturf (Liriope), and London planetrees (Plantanus x acerifolia).

A ravine filled with rocks to slow the movement of water runs through the center of what is officially called the Stream Garden

A pedestrian pathway zig-zags back and forth to opposite sides of the stream as you pass along its length to the bottom.  The passage is interrupted by bridges here and there.

By slowing their progress, the path invites visitors to take a closer look at the plant combinations on either side

What I think is a colorful Croton accompanied by a groundcover I recognize but can't name offhand

I can't identify the plant with the red foliage at the center or this photo but it could be some kind of bromeliad like the plants in front of it.  In addition to succulents, there looks to be a Persicaria in the mix.

This is a vignette I wish I'd studied more closely while onsite.  My best guesses are that the reddish shrub is a Coprosma repens; the fern-like green leaves are Geranium maderense; the succulent is one of the red-toned Aeonium arboreum; and the groundover is Muehlenbeckia axillaris.

Russelia equisetiformis, Cordyline, and Aeoniums make an understated but attractive combination.  Aeonium nobile (shown in closeup on the right) was part of the mix.

I noticed a lot of Mangaves like the one in the middle foreground here

I loved this vignette too.  Among other things, it features a blooming Russelia equisetiformis, 3 Mangaves (maybe 'Mission to Mars') and what might be Acalypha wilkesiana (red foliage in the background, which may also include coleus).

More Mangaves along with what I assume are specimens of the variegated Beschorneria yuccoides

There were lots of densely clustered groups of mixed succulents like those shown in this photo and the 2 below it


 



At the bottom of the ravine are the Bougainvillea "umbrellas" (or trees) the garden is well known for.

The vines are encased within "trunks" made of rebar with their bracts allowed to tumble from the top



As you may have guessed, I was a little frustrated that I couldn't definitively identify many of the plants.  There are no labels but then adding those would muddy the effect - this is less a botanic garden and more a work of art created using plants.  On one of my earlier visits to the Getty, I purchased a book that provided individual plant identifications from the Center's gift shop.  Its publication date is 2003 and, as the plants are always changing, it's out-of-date.  However, a map included in the book provides a good sense of the overall flow of the Central Garden as shown below.
 
Source: Plants in the Getty's Central Garden by Jim Duggan with garden photographs by Becky Cohen, Getty Publications, 2003




This post covered my visit to the upper, Stream Garden garden, the section shown in the map crisscrossed by the zig-zag pathway.  That garden is heavily dependent on foliage plants of various kinds.  I'll cover the the sunnier Bowl Garden, shown within the large circle in the lower section of the map, on Friday.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party 
 

24 comments:

  1. The Stream Garden is beautiful. Edged with trees, it creates a very cool atmosphere. It reminds me of rain gardens that can occasionally be seen in Seattle parking strips, minus the concrete, that aims to funnel rain water through the soil before it goes in Puget Sound.
    The encased Bougainvillea is magnificent: such an unusual idea and very well done!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the light had been a little better for photographs during that visit, Chavli. The weather was wonderful but the shade-sun contrasts were difficult, especially in the Stream Garden. In the early days, I rolled my eyes at the Bougainvillea trees but I have to admit they looked fantastic during this visit.

      Delete
  2. So glad you went and posted these photos -- the two photos with the rebar boug trees are especially striking. I've been thinking of the Getty since Irwin passed. Remember the hoopla created by choosing him over a landscape design professional!? I think time shows he won that argument. Plus, Irwin hails from my town Long Beach...Looks like they're really keeping up on the planting, it looks wonderful. Mangaves are a great addition here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do remember the controversy over Irwin's role in creating the garden, Denise. Having looked back at photos I took in 2013 and 2016, it's very different now and I found myself wondering how Irwin would feel about it. There are a LOT of succulents in the Stream Garden that I don't think were there originally but, given our perpetual drought, that's probably something he'd support. The flower power in the lower Bowl Garden was a bit disappointing but that may just reflect the time of year.

      Have you heard that a documentary movie on Irwin was released in late October? It's called 'Robert Irwin: A Desert of Pure Feeling'. It's supposed to be available on Amazon Prime but I haven't looked for it (yet).

      Delete
  3. Excellent visit! Thank you for the many photos. My one and only visit to this garden was curtailed by rain the day before. Paths were closed lest our "muddy" feet track soil into the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember that, Loree! I guess you need to visit SoCal in a drier part of the year. If El Nino lives up to expectations, that won't include January-April 2024. Most of my own visits have been in spring but early summer might be a good time. In the post-pandemic era, reservations are now required.

      Delete
  4. I've been to the old Getty which was pretty fabulous. But never to this one. That map really helps as the switchbacks etc. make it hard to get an overview. Love those dense succulent plantings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's been to the Getty Villa but I never have, Linda. Odd once again as it's a commutable distance. My understanding is that the museum's surroundings are much more formal, with less space and emphasis on the garden.

      Delete
  5. So funny seeing these photos and realizing how much my taste in gardening has skewed away from the conceptual towards the naturalistic. Beautifully planted though this garden is, it feels unfinished to me in the sense that few of the plants have serious roots. They all look happy and healthy enough, but this is a show garden as opposed to landscape design. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irwin's intention was to make the Central Garden an ever-changing work of art and his legacy in that regard continues. I admit that I miss some of the more dramatic foliage plants I remember from my earlier visits but it appeared to me that the gardeners are doing their best to adjust to climate and drought issues while keeping within Irwin's original conceptual framework.

      Delete
    2. My comment was in no way meant as criticism of the garden/ers; only noting that my taste has changed re. wild/settled gardens. I understand that this was never meant to be naturalistic, which is probably good considering the range of observers. I wonder if some of CA's great lost winery gardens (those designed by Kate Frey, John Greenlee) were not enough 'show garden' for their audience.

      Delete
    3. I think places like the Getty Center feel compelled to change things out frequently in order to bring in a steady volume of returning visitors. The exhibits in the Central Garden (albeit not the Cactus Garden) change on an ongoing basis just like the art exhibitions (although the museum also has some static collections too). I've noticed that my local botanic garden is doing much the same thing, often to my chagrin. I expect that people who create gardens for themselves or specific clients and aren't in any way compelled to accommodate to the demands/interests of others, are probably more inclined to build gardens with deeper roots. I seek a sense of permanency in my own garden, changing out mostly ephemeral things except when bigger changes are dictated by our changing climate or other conditions outside my control.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes! I think you're right on point about the identity of the low groundcover I couldn't identify in photo #8. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I'll have to remember to check it out next time I'm out that way. All the plants and views you share here are beautiful. I especially enjoyed the clustered groupings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a stop, Beth. Under current protocols, a reservation is required. There's no entrance cost fee but, unless you arrange for someone to drop you off and pick you up, parking is $20 per vehicle, although I think it's less if you enter later in the afternoon. They have places to eat, including a nice restaurant (which generally also requires a reservation).

      Delete
  8. I last went there in 2015... what I noticed most was how much the sycamores have grown, lots more shade! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I looked back at my prior posts in 2013 and 2016, I noticed the same thing, Eliza!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the memories. I went there when my daughter lived in LA and found those grounds so compelling. (The artwork was impressive too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to go the Getty Center every 2 to 3 years but of course the pandemic screwed things up - and fighting the traffic is never fun, especially now that I'm about 15 miles further away than we were in 2010.

      Delete
  10. This post made my day. I haven't been there in quite a while, and it was great seeing what it looks like now.

    Mangaves at the Getty Center! That was the biggest surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were LOTS of Mangaves, and more succulents by several orders of magnitude in the Stream Garden than I recall during my 2013 and 2016 visits. Loree might be disappointed as I didn't see any agaves in the Central Garden but then there are lots of Agave americana in the Cactus Garden.

      Delete
  11. Those bougainvilleas finally filled those rebar structures! And finally look as they should.

    Never liked the Azalea "maze"--just entirely the wrong plant as they looked like h-ll all summer and most of autumn. Burnt foliage. Even that close to the Pacific, full sun a too much for them. A basic disrespect for a living thing is "art"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the Bougainvillea "trees" looked good this time too, HB. I'm not fond of the azalea maze either ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.