Monday, November 20, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Fleeting beauty

I suspect I've used this post title before but it describes both of my arrangements this week.  As at least one reader anticipated, I decided to feature the Hibiscus flowers that surprised me last week for my first vase.  The velvety red blooms were just too pretty to ignore, even if the flowers close in low light and don't usually last more than two days at most. 


My house is quite bright inside but, regardless, the Hibiscus flowers were already closing by mid-afternoon.  It remains to be seen if they'll open again in the morning light, or if any of the buds clustered along the stems will open.
 
I dressed up the back view with a handful of the flower-like bracts of Leucadendron 'Blush'


Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussey', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Leucadendron salignum 'Blush', Hibiscus acetosella 'Haight Ashbury', and Pennisetum 'Sky Rocket'



My second arrangement consists of only three elements, with the primary component being the fragile flowers of Camellia sasanqua.  Although we received less than a half inch of rain spread lightly over the course of four days, that was enough to leave many of those flowers shattered.  With wind predicted, I cut three stems from the largest of my shrubs.

Both varieties of Camellia sasanqua were inherited with the garden.  They differ in form but are very similar in color.

Back view: I could've used more filler plants but c'est la vie

Top view

From left to right: Camellia sasanqua, Pentas lanceolata, and Persicaria capitata



For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful arrangements Kris. Wouldn't it be nice if the hibiscus lasted longer? They really are a stunning colour. I purchased one this year and was surprised to find they only lasted a day. With a small plant it meant the blooming period was over pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hibiscus has a surprising number of small buds, although cutting 5 tall stems for this arrangement may greatly reduce the number of flowers I'll see from the plant. I moved the vase to the sunniest window in the house this morning but I'm still waiting to see any flowers open.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, I think the darker arrangement is perfect for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It remains to be seen whether the Hibiscus flowers will survive in a vase to make it to Thanksgiving, Tracy. It's a pity if it doesn't as it is (was) dramatic.

      Delete
  3. I love that dark sultry hibiscus, and love the camellia arrangement. They're such great winter bloomers up here (camellia) it's a shame they are so easily ruined in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as rain is intermittent at best even during our so-called rainy season, the impact to the Camellia petals is an on-off thing. My Camellia williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection' is a little tougher than the C. sasanquas too; however, it probably won't bloom until January.

      Delete
  4. My Mum has a potted hibiscus in her house and gets excited every time a flower appears, which they only do infrequently and always singly! Your deep plummy is a nicer colour than hers and you have matched it well with the grasses. Nice bright pinks in your second vase too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd guess that your mum is a good gardener if she can get a Hibiscus to bloom indoors even infrequently, Cathy!

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty Camellia, Kris, and the arrangement is nice. I agree with everyone else the hibiscus is a gorgeous color, rather unusual. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again two stunning arrangements: you did well to rescue the camelias. The red hibiscus are sensational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only that Hibiscus could handle low light conditions, Noelle. It's dropped every one of the original blooms and, thus far at least, none of the buds shows an inclination to open up inside, although I saw several more flowers on the plant outside today.

      Delete
  7. I agree, you couldn't ignore those luscious red blooms or those bright pink Camellias....thankfully some of us have flowers and I can get my fix from those gardens. Someday I hope to be in CA again and maybe get a tour of your incredible garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the hibiscus arrangement. I cut these rarely and think if you get 2 days with a flower you are doing better than me! They are worth cutting just to see the flowers up close and the burgundies look great together. Amelia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be some other Hibiscus that blooms longer than a day, Amelia. Every flower of those on the cut stems has unceremoniously dropped to the table. No signs of buds opening either.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful saturation of color in your flowers because of the cooler nights and some overcast days--I love that lack of fading. Most everything can look sun-bleached all summer. --hb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for using the Hibiscus in the vase today. It looks gorgeous, and in one of my favorite vases too. A fleeting moment, yes, but you have taken a photo of it for posterity's sake.
    The second vase is also wonderful, and I'm often in the camp of "less is more". Additional filler plants aren't required in my view.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into the vase-life of a Hibiscus in advance so I knew what the likely end result would be, Chavli, but I agree that it was still a nice way to show the flowers off anyway. It'd be great if some of the buds open on the cut stems but I'm not banking on that either. I was a little afraid I wouldn't see any more blooms on the plant outside because I cut most of the tallest stems but the good news there is that it produced another half dozen flowers this morning :)

      Delete
  11. Pretty colours this week Kris. The Hibiscus is a lovely shade and an impressive flower. The only Hibiscus we can grow here outside here is H. syriacus which is available in more pastel colours. The flowers only last a day, flowering for perhaps two months in summer, and in damp weather drop off or stick to the shrub and look unsightly. Needless to say I do not have one! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't grown Hibiscus in years, Cathy. We inherited a row of noID Hibiscus shrubs at our first house but they were magnets for the giant whiteflies and we ended up taking all of them out. I bought this Hibiscus acetosella as an annual for its foliage. I honestly didn't expect flowers!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.