Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Bloom Day - March 2022

Although the calendar says otherwise, it's the height of spring here in my part of coastal Southern California.  A few early spring plants are already showing signs of decline and, as daytime temperatures are expected to soar (again) this week, I expect to see some heading for the exits soon but, at this time of year, more blooms arrive each day than disappear.  That's one way of saying that this will be another long post, even though I split off the bulb flowers in a separate post, published last Friday.

I'll begin with the plants I consider the stars of my March garden, starting with the Leucospermums (aka pincushion shrubs), which are having a very good year despite the woefully low rainfall we've had.  January and February are traditionally our rainiest months but what we got was well short of what the State of California has called "measurable rainfall" for a single storm.  According to one source, those were California's driest months in 127 years.

Leucospermum 'Goldie' was my first experiment with this genus and it's currently the most floriferous

Leucospermum 'Royal Hawaiian Brandi' has the largest flowers

Leucospermum 'Hybrid Spider' is perhaps my favorite.  Its flowers look very different at each each stage but I like the halfway-opened stage the best.

Acquired about 3 years ago, this is the first year Leucospermum 'Sunrise' has bloomed


Plants in the Osteospermum genus, one of several genera commonly referred to as African daisies, are also having a banner spring season.  As temperatures get higher they'll stop blooming but the flowers will return in the fall.

Most of the Osteospermum shown here are self-seeded.  The single-petaled varieties have always self-seeded freely but I recently noted that some of the so-called "double-petaled" varieties have also done so.

This is 'Double Moonglow'.  The nice thing about the double-petaled varieties is that they don't close in low light, making them useful subjects for floral arrangements.

Top: Recent acquisitions 'DarkViolet & White' and '4D Pink'
Middle: '4D Silver', 'Violet Ice', and 'Purple Spoon'
Bottom: self-seeded single-petaled plants in purple, pink, and lavender


Here are some of the other plants putting on a particularly good show:

Arctotis is another genus of African daisies.  From top to bottom are 'Large Marge', Pink Sugar', and 'Opera Pink'.

Argyranthemum (aka Marguerite daisies): 'Pink Comet', 'White Butterfly' and 'Yellow Butterfly'

The flowers on my tree Ceanothus on the back slope, featured last month, faded quickly in response to warm temperatures but those on this noID Ceanothus hedge, inherited with the garden, have been blooming non-stop since January

Cercis occidentalis (aka western redbud) is doing well despite the heavy pruning I did in late fall

Cistus x skanbergii scatters its delicate pink blooms every time the wind blows but the flowers keep coming

This month, Coleonema album (aka white breath of heaven, left) joined its pink-flowered cousin, Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold', in bloom.  While, like the pink version, the foliage of the white-flowered variety has a pleasant scent, I find the smell of its flowers slightly unpleasant.

Accurately capturing the periwinkle color of Felicia aethiopica 'Tight & Tidy' in photos is always a challenge

Lavandula stoechas in the front and back garden.  The plant on the right was self-seeded.

Sometimes disparaged as a common plant, I find Limonium perezii (aka sea lavender) is an attractive addition to the landscape (although the old foliage should be cut back at least annually)

Maybe I should have called March "daisy season."  This is Pyrethropsis hosmariense (syn Rhodanthemum hosmariense, aka Moroccan daisy).


Of course, my ever-dependable large-flowered Grevilleas are still doing their part.

Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' (left) and 'Superb' (right)


As always, there are a few surprises worthy of note.

I acquired this plant by mail order in January 2012, labeled simply "Abelia species."  The grower no longer shows it even among its discontinued offerings and I've yet to find a more precise ID for it.  The leaves aren't glossy like the Abelias commonly sold here and its flower color distinguishes it from others I've seen, like 'Edward Goucher'.  My most recent search turned up Linnaea uniflora 'Bumblebee' but the leaf size doesn't look right.  It flowers routinely this time of year on my difficult back slope.

My best guess is that this is the white form of Ageratum houstonianum, which to my recollection I've never planted.  It popped up for the first time this year in a backyard border.

This Dombeya burgessiae is a passalong plant I received from Denise of A Growing Obsession last fall.  I didn't expect to see it bloom this soon after getting its roots in the ground.

I hadn't planned to include any bulb blooms in this post but this species tulip, Tulipa clusiana 'Lady Jane', produced its first 3 blooms the day I published my Friday post.  The following day, there were 11 blooms.  They'll be gone long before the the next Bloom Day post in April so here you are.


A few prominent plants are poised to conclude their annual bloom cycles within the next couple of weeks.

Those preparing for near-term departures include: Aeonium arboreum, Aristea inaequalis, and Camellia williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection'.  The Camellia in particular was hit hard by our yo-yo weather conditions.  In January the shrub had more buds than I'd ever seen but, in response to constant bouts with wind and warmer temperatures, it dropped dozens and dozens of buds, as well as perhaps a quarter of its leaves.  The bloom shown on the right is one of the few that haven't fallen while still in bud.


I'll close as usual with the best of the rest, organized by color into collages.

Top: noID pink Alstroemeria, Centranthus ruber, and Hebe 'Wiri Blush'
Middle: Cuphea 'Honeybells' and C. 'Starfire Pink'
Bottom: Leptospermum scoparium 'Pink Pearl' and noID orchid 

Top: Pelargonium cucculatum, dark pink P. peltatum, and P. 'Pink Blizzard'
Bottom: noID peach tree blooms, noID rose, and Scabiosa columbaria 'Flutter Rose Pink'

Top: Geranium incanum (a weed), G. 'Tiny Monster', and Lavandula multifida
Middle: lavender Pelargonium peltatum, Polygala fruticosa, and Salvia 'Bee's Bliss'
Bottom: Scabiosa columbaria 'Flutter Deep Blue', Trichostema 'Midnight Magic', and Viola 'Penny Peach'

Top: Auranticarpa rhombifolium, Centranthus ruber 'Albus', and Leucanthemum paludosum
Middle: Crassula multicava 'Red' and C. orbiculata var rosularis
Bottom: white Pelargonium peltatum, P. 'White Lady', and Philotheca myoporoides 'Profusion'

Top: Euphorbia rigida, Gazania 'Gold Flame', and Grevillea 'Moonlight'
Middle: Lantana 'Lucky Yellow', noID Nemesia, and self-seeded Nigella orientalis
Bottom: Oncostele 'Wildcat', Phlomis fruticosa, and Phylica pubescens

Top: Aloe striata, Alstromeria 'Indian Summer', and Antirrhinum majus 'Chantilly Bronze'
Middle: Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' Gasteria 'Kyaka', and Lantana 'Irene'
Bottom: Lobelia laxiflora, Pelargonium 'Tweedle Dee', and Salvia africana-lutea

Top: Calliandra haematocephala, Lotus berthelotii 'Amazon Sunset', and Pelargonium sidiodes
Middle: Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' and noID dwarf Cymbidium
Bottom: Grevillea 'Ned Kelly', G. lavandulacea 'Penola', and G. 'Scarlet Sprite'

For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom day posts, check in with Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

30 comments:

  1. Wow, just wow. This might be your most floriferous Bloom Day post yet. It combines many of my favorites (like the southern hemisphere shrubs and perennials) with plants that are completely new to me (most orchids). Truly, a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your may be correct about it being my most floriferous Bloom Day yet, especially if you factor in the earlier bulb bloom post ;)

      Delete
  2. Your leucospermums are magical, and that self-seeded Nigella orientalis is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quirky Nigella orientalis flower too, Loree. I was regretting my failure to sow any seeds of that species earlier before realizing that last year's crop had done a little self-seeding for my benefit.

      Delete
  3. I love a good plant mistery! My guess is the no i.d. Abelia might be some form of Abelia floribunda, the Mexican abelia.
    Your garden looks spectacular, it is always wonderful to see what's in bloom there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the possible ID on the Abelia/Linnaea! The Mexican abelia may be a better match than the one I found. The size of the leaves on my plant still seems off but perhaps that perception will alter as the flowers continue to open. Or, as you say, it may be an offshoot of that species.

      Delete
  4. Good crop of Lecospermum there, eh? Great plants.

    Heck of a crop of daisies, too. So many wonderful SA plants have daisy flowers. I noticed also that Felicia aethiopica color is very hard to get right. Quirky.

    Those species Tulips are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I', glad to know I'm not the only one to struggle in photographing Felicia flowers. It's weird!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Sensory overload!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I'm feeling the sensory overload this month, Lea ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow! No... beyond wow, stupendous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's admittedly a little overwhelming at the moment but I can't help wondering what summer will bring...

      Delete
  7. Wow, I can't even imagine having that many blooms in my garden. Amazing! I remember seeing the Leucospermums in SoCal when we visited. Nifty plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I viewed Leucospermums as questionable in my climate when I didn't see flowers in the plants' first years, Beth. It seems that all I needed was some patience.

      Delete
  8. What a great variety of lovely blooms you have, many of which are seldom if ever seen around here. It's always a pleasure to visit your garden each month and see what is blooming in southern California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy. We get started on spring before you do but I expect you'll be seeing more color once your temperatures warm a bit more.

      Delete
  9. Your garden must be the most floriferous in the whole blogging world. I always look forward to your bloom day posts. It is amazing that all this is going on in March when so many of us have gardens just waking up from their winter sleep. I am always particularly envious of your leucodendrons and grevilleas. But all lovely. My blog name is Chloris because that is one of the names for the goddess of flowers, but that title should go to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring has startled even me this year but I think the goddess of flowers title rightly duly belongs to you, Liz. I don't have a fraction of your skill at growing plants from seed or cuttings, although I am working on that ;)

      Delete
  10. There are so many exciting blooms... by the time I get to the end of the post, I kinda of forget the earlier blooms I intended to comment on :-D
    I share your enthusiasm for Leucospermum 'Hybrid Spider': those leopard-like spots are divine, though 'Sunrise' is difficult to resist.
    I noticed happy reoccurrence of white petals/yellow centers in Osteospermum 'Double Moonglow', Marguerite daisy 'White Butterfly', Moroccan daisy and Leucanthemum paludosum: totally charming Springy flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plethora of daisy flowers didn't hit me between the eyes until I was writing this post. It's easy to lose the proverbial forest for the trees at this time of year.

      Delete
  11. That dombeya was freely blooming even as a small plant in a container -- can't wait to see what it does in your garden. That is a crazy amount of flowers! You must be wandering your garden in a daze...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really expected the Dombeya to sulk after being transplanted but it surprised me! Family we hadn't seen since the late stages of our remodel in 2019 visited yesterday and exclaimed over the garden, allowing me to see its transition through their eyes. I guess the December downpours were well timed ;)

      Delete
  12. So much to admire! Not to mention some that are going on my wish list, including the Rhodanthemum, which looks delightful. I so wish I could find Grevilleas in AZ; I'd love to give them a try, and yours leave me drooling as usual! As do the Leucospermums, but they'd be more doubtful here.
    I must go back and check your post on the flowering bulbs. I feel like I've been running after puppies non-stop for weeks now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running after puppies may be the best exercise of all, Amy! Both Grevilleas and Leucospermum take awhile to get their bloom going but they've been great for me since their early years.

      Delete
  13. 127 years... wow. Still, you manage to have a fabulous display. SO many wonderful flowers!! I lust over the usual suspects every time, but this time around, I think my favorite was that cute little Nigella in the yellow collage. Just adorable... Happy Spring, Kris! It's been rather chilly, but is starting to feel like it's arriving up here, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was kicking myself for failing to sow any Nigella orientalis seeds this year but, luckily, last year's plants did the job for me :)

      Delete
  14. Oh my goodness! Your property looks like a botanical garden every time you post and the abundance of blooms is always amazing. I especially enjoyed the Leucospermum 'Goldie'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a spring thing, Lee. My garden's likely to look a lot more tired in summer.

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous show Kris! Arctotis ‘Pink Sugar’ and your assorted leucospermums are my favourites.

    It must take ages to collate all of your images and sort them into colour groups. I imagine this is quite satisfying with so many different blooms to include? Enjoy your spring - it looks like you already are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an especially long blog post, Horticat. Processing the photos takes the greatest amount of time but I take my pics a little at a time over a good week. The collages are pretty easy - or at least they were prior to my last computer update on Tuesday, which messed with the software. They create a useful record, though.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.