Monday, March 14, 2022

In a Vase on Monday: Flowers aplenty

As I ran around my garden taking photos for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day this coming Tuesday, it's overwhelming how much is in bloom.  In dry years like this one, I wonder if every flowering plant is rushing for the finish line before the heat settles in for an extended stay and soil conditions get even drier.  I know it's not spring yet in most of the Northern Hemisphere but it's well underway here.  Meanwhile, the latest projections don't hold out much hope for rain in Southern California in March or April so I'll take advantage of the flowers I've got while I can.

The Dutch Iris are still building on their flower power but the Scilla peruviana, which only just started its bloom cycle at the end of February, are already fading after a couple of stretches of warm weather.

More blue and yellow to express solidarity with Ukraine.  There are 2 varieties of Dutch Iris in this arrangement but they're very similar in color.

Back view

Top view

Top row: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Freesia, and self-seeded Lavandula stoechas
Middle row: Iris hollandica 'Mystic Beauty' and 'Sapphire Beauty'
Bottom row: Phlomis fruticosa and Scilla peruviana

Every time our daytime temperatures soar the Anemones fade, only to slowly recover when temperatures come down again, but I've got to wonder how many flip-flops they can handle.

A couple of months ago, I planted plugs of ornamental kale (Brassica oleracea) with the idea of using it to complement Anemone coronaria 'Admiral' but it never bulked up much and now it's preparing to bolt so I thought I'd use it before it fades away

Back view: The vase is the thrift store find I picked up years ago featuring a lady's well-manicured hands clasped to hold flowers but those hands are mostly hidden in this arrangement

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Anemone coronaria 'Admiral' and 'Mount Everest', Boronia crenulata 'Shark Bay', Brassica oleracea var acephala, Coleonema album (aka white breath of heaven), and Scabiosa columnaria 'Flutter Rose Pink'

I had a few leftovers I couldn't cram into the first vase so I popped them into a small vase rather than tossing out the stems.

The cactus-shaped vase of leftovers is sitting in the kitchen window (where it's impossible to photograph)

The other two arrangements found spaces in the usual places.


For more IAVOM creations, visit our esteemed host, Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


28 comments:

  1. Oh, Irises and Anemones. Such magical arrangements with stunning flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I love both those flowers and only wish they hung around somewhat longer each year.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Beth. Such a treat to see irises and anemones and your companions are delightful too. Hope you get a little rain sneaking your way, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One weather service currently gives us a 24% chance of rain on Saturday evening while another shows an 8% chance. As the last storm passed us by after an 83% chance, I'm trying not to get invested in the possibility.

      Delete
  3. Looking at your flower photos while also scanning the text had me wondering why you were stepping on your Anemones! ("I've got to wonder how many flip-flops they can handle") I know, I need to slow down and read. Besides I doubt everyone gardens in flip-flops like I do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your penchant for flip-flops, Loree! I haven't worn those in years so that connection flew over my head ;)

      Delete
  4. Two wonderful vases but if I had to choose one it would be the arrangement in blue and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore blue and yellow mixes at any time but they seem all the more appropriate at this time, Noelle.

      Delete
  5. The blue and yellow is so striking especially with the Scilla. They have a very different shape that contrasts nicely with the upright iris. Obviously the vase lady of the manicured hands is not a gardener. Don't think I know of any gardener who would willing put her hands on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can't say my nails have ever had a manicure like that either, Elaine. The best I can manage is to swipe on a clear coat of nail protector on occasion in a vain effort to stop my nails from splitting and tearing.

      Delete
  6. I always love to see your "ladies hands" arrangements. That being said, my favorite today is the littlew cactus vase - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cactus vase is cute and the Phlomis and lavender blooms seemed to fit it well ;)

      Delete
  7. Your first vase is so striking and the connotations make it all the more special, and the soft pinks in the second seem just right for the elegant hands holding them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem compelled to use the clasped hands vase whenever I cut pink flowers that match the color of those well-manicured nails, Cathy.

      Delete
  8. The blue and yellow one is a stunning sign of support for Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't help but think of the people caught up in the meaningless violence levied at them in Ukraine these days, Tracy.

      Delete
  9. Your yellow and blue arrangement makes me think I need some blue flowers in my garden. The closest I have to blue is ageratum, but that’s more of a lavender I guess. Love the clear yellow of your phlomis also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always on the look-out for blue-flowering plants, Horticat. I suspect I've at least tried nearly everything in that category with the slightest prospect of surviving in my climate. I've had a lot of failures but I've gradually accumulated a good supply of them.

      Delete
  10. Pink and green pairs wonderfully with that vase, one of my favorites of yours. Love how the yellow in the iris picks up the yellow freesia and phlomis. Love that scilla, too. I grew it once inside from a bulb I got in the fall, but couldn't get it to live thereafter. It probably prefers a climate like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the Scilla wants drier and warmer conditions than you can supply in your climate, Eliza, at least outside a greenhouse.

      Delete
  11. Such pretty arrangements that surely bring a smile to your face, Kris. I'm always intrigued by your pickings as some species are flowering in summer here but in California they obviously get off to an earlier start. I planted S. peruviana 1,5 years ago but it hasn't flowered yet, fingers crossed for this year. Have a good week��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both winter and spring seem shorter every year, Annette, but spring is definitely in hyperdrive this year. Unfortunately, I can already feel summer, our longest season, nipping at our heels as even flowers I associate with summer are sending up flowers. As summer is our driest season and increasing hot, a long summer isn't something we look forward to.

      Delete
  12. I do miss all the flowers in bloom in my old garden...so many would be popping up already. But your incredible vases help that loss!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, a wealth of spring flowers in your garden. The blues are a lovely combination and I like the kale in the second, it doesn't last long here either..Wonderful, I love that cactus vase. Just read your latest post and saw the Dombeya! Yay. Can you grow Proteas? The leucadendrons remind me of Proteas. Also planted some dahlias in bags...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leucadendrons, as well as Leucospermums, are in the Proteaceae family, Amelia. I have just a single plant in the Protea genus, which has yet to bloom but I haven't given up on it yet. Like the Leucospermums, it may just take its time in settling in.

      Yay, for planting dahlias! Looking ahead toward summer/fall, I just potted up a large number of dahlia tubers myself to get a head start on the season.

      Delete
  14. Aren't those irises just gorgeous! I love your overhead photos. All the different elements are so pretty in your collages too. As always, wonderful arrangements Kris!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.