Wednesday, March 2, 2022

A beautiful day - to shop for plants!

A friend and I spent a beautiful Saturday driving up the coast.  We stopped in Carpinteria to visit Seaside Gardens and had lunch on an outdoor patio at a nearby restaurant before driving up to Terra Sol Garden Center in Santa Barbara.  I can't honestly say I "needed" any new plants but when has that ever stopped a plant addict?

I try to get to Seaside Gardens at least twice a year, generally in spring and fall.  Seaside combines a well-stocked nursery with demonstration gardens featuring plants from different areas of the world.  The latter show visitors how certain plants can be combined to create a landscape, while also educating buyers on what they can expect as these plants mature.  Reading a plant tag prior to a purchase is always helpful but seeing a plant in a garden setting is a useful reality check.

Although it's feeling like spring in coastal Southern California, this visit in late February is earlier than most of my semi-annual visits.  Given that fact, as well as our low rainfall, the demonstration gardens weren't as colorful as they've been during previous spring visits but they were still nice to see.  Let me take you on an abbreviated tour, starting with the Cottage Garden and ending at the entrance to the Australian Garden.

Spring definitely wasn't yet in high gear in the Cottage Garden but this Rosa banksaie 'Alba Plena' was in full bloom

The Grasslands had received a good chop.  This prompted me to begin cutting back my own ornamental grasses this week.

I saw only a handful of California poppies in bloom but a Ceanothus and a western redbud (Cercis occidentalis) were flowering in the California Natives area

The Echiums were just starting to develop buds in the Mediterranean Garden

Some Aloes are were in bloom in the Succulent Garden but the area was relatively subdued

Another shot of the Succulent Garden

The South African Garden may have been the most colorful.  Clockwise from the upper left: Freesias, Leucospermum 'Sunrise' (much larger than my own specimen!), Leucadendron 'Jester', a huge mass of Polygala fruticosa, Osteospermum, and Leucadendron 'Ebony'.

This Fuchsia arborescens in the Central-South American Garden shows just how big this plant can get.  I have one in a large pot.  I've been told they can be grown in containers but seeing one this large suggests that could be more difficult than I assumed.

Acacia (noID) growing in the Australian Garden

Now, on to the nursery area.

There were a lot of possibilities to explore

Here are some plants I checked out but didn't buy:

Clockwise from the upper left: Begonia luxurians (I have one but it hasn't bloomed), noID Magnolia, noID Mammillaria, Penstemon 'Dark Towers', Pericallis 'Magic Salmon', pale yellow Ranunculus, Senna phyllodinea, and Yucca 'Bright Star'.   I keep looking for a deal on a Yucca to replace the one I lost but I don't consider $110 a deal.

After lunch, we headed sixteen miles further north to Terra Sol Garden Center.  I didn't take many photos, partly because it's much smaller than Seaside and partly because I'd forgotten to bring my regular camera with me on this trip.  All photos in this post were taken with my new phone, which I've only just begun to tinker with.  It's a substantial upgrade from my iPhone 5s, which I was forced to replace because my service carrier has phased out 3G coverage.

Terra Sol has a broad selection of succulents in a range of sizes.  I didn't see a label on the cactus on the upper right but I remembered that Loree of danger garden had commented on a similar plant in a post regarding her November visit, which aided me in identifying it as Hildewintera corademononis.  (The specimen Loree saw was $399.  This one was $470.)  The interesting plant on the lower right is Myrtillo geometrizans 'Crested Elite' (going for $35 in a 4-inch pot).

I spent more time than usual checking out the decorative garden art.  As much as I admired  the Buddhas, particularly the multi-faced one shown in the right column, they're priced well outside my budget.

I'd admired the face sculptures shown on the right during a prior trip but, when it comes down to it, I'd rather spend my disposable funds on plants

Despite the face that I didn't "need" any plants, here's what I came home with:

My Seaside haul included Ceanothus 'Carmel Creeper', Mangave 'Navajo Princess', 2 new-to-me Osteospermums in the '4D' series, and Philotheca myoporoides 'Profusion'

My Terra Sol purchases included Aeonium 'Mardi Gras', Echeveria agavoides, and Mangave 'Red Wing' (or at least those are my best guesses on IDs as all of them were unlabeled)

Before I headed home, my friend also gifted me with a selection of California native plants but I'll cover them in a separate post.  All in all, it was a very nice day, offering brief respite from the horror  of events unfolding in Ukraine.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful outing, I almost felt like I was right there with you—having "recently" visited both nurseries. I am happy to see you increasing your aeonium stock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' in small pots is an event in itself, Loree. I have some but, unlike most members of the A. arboreum species, they don't pup much.

      Delete
  2. Fun! I remember visiting Seaside when they first opened and everything in the demo garden was ankle high, at most. Everything there has grown so dramatically.

    Looks like you got some good plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, HB. I can't remember the first time I visited but, whenever it was, the demonstration gardens were already well-established.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like a bit of garden retail therapy... a welcome distraction from current events. I loved the Leucadendron 'Ebony'... do you have that one?
    I went to the conservatory today (after more than 2 years, I was in nirvana) and saw a stunning succulent I have never seen before... the entire thing was the color of gun metal including the flowers. I asked and the worker wasn't sure, but thought it was a kalanchoe of some kind. I'll send a photo to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have an 'Ebony' in my collection. I bagged it at a reasonable price years ago when it was misidentified as 'Safari Sunset'. It's a sport of that cultivar and, when it became popular, it was very pricey. As to the gun metal "Kalanchoe," I'll be interested to see the photo.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a very fun day, indeed. 'Mardi Gras' is the perfect name for that Aeonium. It looks so very festive! Congratulations on a very nice haul - it will be fun to see where you tuck them all in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the last of the plants from Seaside and Terra Sol in the ground this morning, Anna! I've also planted all but one of the 6 native plants my friend gave me. There's a good chance of rain overnight and I want to make good use of it. Photos to follow in a future post ;)

      Delete
  5. Display gardens are such a good idea at a nursery - there’s no substitute for actually seeing plants growing side by side at full size.
    The wattle in the picture on the right is Acacia iteaphylla, native to my home state of South Australia. Thanks for the post, Kris. I am on week three of recovery from ankle surgery, so I appreciate the virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! I expect ankle surgery put a hard stop to gardening activity. I hope your recovery is smooth and you can get back out in the garden soon. I also hope the terrible floods I've heard of eastern Australia haven't impacted you.

      Thanks for the plant ID!

      Delete
    2. Yes, no gardening for me at the moment, just virtual garden tours! Thanks for the well wishes Kris. Luckily we are not experiencing flooding in South Australia - I feel for those in the eastern states who have lost their loved ones, homes and gardens. Apologies for multiple duplicate posts earlier. iPhone and blogger have a few glitches it would seem.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad to hear that you don't have a flooding problem on top of the ankle challenge. No worries with respect to the duplicate messages. They happen all the time.

      Delete
  6. One month away and I depart for my first trip to SB since 2019. I was on an every other year schedule before the pandemic and I'm really looking forward-I eliminated one night of hotel to expand the plant budget..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Seaside Gardens is always a good stop, especially if you have ample space to haul plants ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.