Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Wednesday Vignette: The butterflies are back

Despite our periodic winter heatwaves, it seems early for butterflies but over the past month I've seen quite a few of them.  Not in any mass numbers mind you but they definitely weren't figments of my imagination.  Yesterday, as I sat at my office desk, I glanced outside and saw a large black and yellow butterfly flitting about just outside the window.  I didn't immediately jump up and run outside with my camera as I assumed it'd be gone before I could get out there but, when it persisted in drinking nectar from the Lantana flowers I decided, what the heck, I'd try to catch a photo.

This is a giant swallowtail butterfly (Papilio cresphontes), reportedly the largest butterfly in North America with wingspans ranging from 4-6 inches

Lantana is one of its favorite sources of nectar and I have plenty of that in bloom at the moment

This one flitted around the north end of the garden for an extended period but it repeatedly returned to this Lantana, making it nominally easier to get a few decent photos.  I even had time to run back into the house for my telephoto lens.

Their usual habitats are deciduous forests and citrus orchards, neither of which you can find in my area; however, like us and our next door neighbors, I suspect many people nearby have citrus trees so maybe it still fits the bill.

While I've seen these butterflies before, they're more common in the eastern part of the country than they are here in Southern California.  I understand that they're considered pests by Florida citrus growers as the caterpillars can damage fresh foliage and young trees.  The larvae are sometimes referred to as "bird poop caterpillars" because of their unique appearance, which provides camouflage from predators.

For more Wednesday Vignettes, visit Anna at Flutter & Hum.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

14 comments:

  1. So funny you should post this today; I was perusing your blog yesterday looking for butterfly plant inspiration. Needless to say, lantana is going on the list. Any other favorites that come to mind (I have CA natives pretty well covered)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zinnias attract a lot of butterfly activity during the summer months in my garden. Achillea (yarrow), ageratum (floss flower), cosmos, lavenders, and salvias can also draw butterflies. In addition to plants that attract adult butterflies, you might want to look into the "host plants" that butterflies use to support their larva. Those plants may vary more based on the particular butterfly species. I have a large Senna bicapsularis, which is a primary host plant for cloudless sulphur butterflies and, in summer into fall, those butterflies are the most prolific in my garden.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, you are so lucky. It will be a few months before we see anything that lovely floating through the garden. And Lantana has long been one of my favorite plants. I remember the first time I visited my brother in San Diego, I couldn't get over the fact that you have Lantana as shrubs in the parking lots. We get them in a pot as an annual, and more times than not, they don't do well for me. Mostly I've given up trying. Thank you for sharing your two lovelies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Lantana self-seed here, which even surprised me, Cindy!

      Delete
  3. I do love lantana, which unfortunately isn't suited for Seattle. In summer, I'll spot an occasional monarch butterfly on my mock orange or daphne, both extremely fragrant blooms.
    You've captured gorgeous photos of this wondrous creature! They have such an amazing life cycle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to get a good many photos of this butterfly as I usually have even less luck with butterflies than in photographing the fast-moving hummingbirds ;)

      Delete
  4. Pretty and big! I seldom see them here, maybe twice, being a more southern species. Lantana is definitely a butterfly magnet. I put lantana hangers out every summer off the deck, so I can watch the tiger swallowtails and skippers up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually think of Zinnias as the butterfly magnet in my garden (along with Senna bicapsularis, which is a host plant of the cloudless sulphurs), Eliza. This is a good reminder to ensure that I have butterfly-friendly plants in bloom early in the season. The Lantana shrubs generally persist for years here but I probably need to be more thoughtful about my pruning schedule.

      Delete
  5. Che bella immagine primaverile! Le lantane qui vivono in terra solo vicino al lago. Qui nel giardino no, questa mattina c'erano -5 gradi :O

    Buona serata :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too cold for butterflies, Gabriel! Best wishes for a colorful spring.

      Delete
  6. 4-6" wingspan... wow! That's a big butterfly... Very nice captures, Kris! I find butterflies very difficult to photograph. Maybe the trick is to grow lantanas, so they sit still once in a while..? I'm going to have to commit that one to memory, despite them not being hardy up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably pure luck, Anna. I can't remember ever seeing a butterfly repeatedly return to the same spot like that.

      Delete
  7. Oh, that is a beauty and you managed some great photos, Kris. It will be a while before lantana flowers here. It dies back every year. I spotted an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail flying over the garden early this week but nothing caught its fancy. Sadly we're headed down to 22 Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hope warmer temperatures gain some staying power in your area in the near future, Susie. Our "winter," which really refers mainly to our rainy season, ended all too early this year. Our daytime temperatures are climbing, although thankfully our nighttime temperatures remain on the cool side for now.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.