Friday, March 4, 2022

Hustling to plant in advance of rain

Last Saturday, a friend and I went plant shopping.  My last post covered that trip.  This one shows where the plants landed.  I'm not always so prompt about getting my new acquisitions in the ground but, as weather forecasts began to show a much higher probability of rain on the horizon, I hustled to get everything planted before it arrived.  With one exception, everything is in place.

My Seaside Gardens purchases are shown here:

A total of 9 plants

Ceanothus griseus horizontalis 'Carmel Creeper' was planted behind a Leucadendron 'Safari Sunset' to cover an area that currently supports little more than weeds (in the form of clover and Erigeron karvinskianus).  The Ceanothus is supposed to grow no taller than a foot while spreading 8-10 feet.

I'm very fond of the "double" Osteospermums, in part because they remain open in low light.  I've got quite a collection of these already but Seaside had 2 varieties I'd never seen before so I scooped up 3 of each to fill in some empty spots while the Echium handiense, Hardenbergia violacea 'Meema', and Phlomis purpurea I planted in that area gain more substance.

This is Osteospermum '4D Pink'

This one, labeled '4D Dark Violet & White', is similar to '4D Pink' but not identical

I bought this Philotheca myoporoides 'Profusion' purely because I loved its growth habit, flowers and scent.  I'd absolutely idea where I was going to put it when I brought it home.  I ending up giving it a spot formerly occupied by a woody Centaurea 'Silver Feather'.  I'd cut the latter back hard and it didn't recover well.  I've already planted another 'Silver Feather', grown from a cutting, nearby.  Hopefully, they'll live in harmony.

If you were paying close attention, you may have noted the I didn't include the Mangave I purchased at Seaside in the above lineup.  That's because I combined it with some of the plants I picked up at Terra Sol Garden Center on the same trip.

This is my Terra Sol haul, all succulents

The 2 Mangave 'Red Wing' from Terra Sol were planted with the Mangave 'Navajo Princess' from Seaside in the middle.  The 3 Echeveria agavoides were planted in between the larger plants.

Two of the 3 Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' already in my garden (shown on the left) had become leggy so I beheaded them and replanted the cuttings with the 3 new 'Mardi Gras' Aeoniums I'd picked up at Terra Sol (as shown on the right).  They're situated next to a Hemerocallis 'Spanish Harlem' to echo the color of the daylily's flowers.

My earlier post mentioned a gift of several California native plants but didn't show them.  All of those shown below have found homes, with the exception of the bladderpod (Peritoma arborea, bottom left).

My friend has been volunteering at a public park in the San Fernando Valley.  They offer their volunteers free native plants as a gift in exchange for their service and she had enough to pass along these to me.

This Dudleya wasn't labeled.  I'm trying to determine if it's D. guadalupensis, D. pulverulenta, D. virens, or something else entirely.  Anyone know?  This is Dudleya lanceolata.  Thanks for the ID, EW!

I planted the 2 Penstemon spectabilis in the back garden in front of my Trichostema 'Midnight Magic', a cultivar of our native woolly blue curls

The 2 hummingbird sages (Salvia spathacea) went into beds on either side of the gravel path that runs through my north side garden.  This one looks tiny next to the whale's tongue and other agaves.

The bladderpod needs full sun and it gets large.  I had one years ago, which up and died on me after approximately a year in the ground so I'm giving more thought to where to place it to provide a greater chance of success.

Whether the rain will actually come is always a question.  Late last week, the chances were put at 25-30%.  On Tuesday, they shot up to 83%.  Last night they were down to 60%, calculated to arrive between midnight and 6am.  That's not ideal as I like to collect the water that pours down our rain chain to supplement what flows off the roof directly into my collection tanks but getting up at 2am to replace a full bucket with an empty one is crazy even by my standards.  As it turned out, we got nothing overnight.  The forecasters are still predicting a chance of rain later this morning.  We shall see...

The view to the northeast doesn't look very promising

However, it looks as though it's raining to the southeast of us

Meanwhile, my buckets are ready to catch anything we might get


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

16 comments:

  1. That Osteospermum '4D Pink' is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous! I couldn't walk away without some.

      Delete
  2. Oh to be able to shop in person again. Wonderful! An exciting time of year as new arrivals fill up shelves. Hope you get your rain. Ours is coming in a more solid form but I won't complain as it will melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point, I think I might be able to adapt to snow just to get some form of precipitation, Elaine! Even if my head told me that the drought is going to be with us indefinitely, my heart held out the hope that this water year would be significantly better than the last one.

      Delete
  3. My fingers are tightly crossed for "much higher probability of rain on the horizon". (If your rain chain had extended to Seattle, I could have help with the water shortage). It's just too easy to fall in lust with Osteospermum, the colors are just impossible to resist, but my absolute favorite is the Aeonium 'Mardi Gras'. Just being able to chop off the head and stick it in the ground again is astonishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Aeonium country! Sadly, the rain situation looks bleak. We didn't get a drop of rain from this last storm, although some areas to the south of us (like San Diego) may have done better and there may be snow in the mountains to the east tomorrow. The long-term forecast for this year doesn't predict a "March miracle" of the type that has lowered our drought profile in the past. Our rainy season generally ends in early April and, unless we get an errant tropical storm or two this summer, what we've got thus far will be it until at least October.

      Delete
  4. I sure hope you get some rain, esp. since it'd help settle all of your pretty new transplants. That sky certainly looked ominous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I scoffed at the chance of rain last week, Eliza, until forecasters raised the odds to 75-83%. While I say I don't count on rain anymore until I see the drops falling, it's hard not to get invested in the hope of it. We didn't get any rain today and the chance for tonight is 10%.

      Delete
  5. Very light sprinkling here in Long Beach, hope you got a little more! Funnily enough, I planted that phylotheca in the Oregon garden but have been calling it eriostemon, apparently an obsolete name now. Amazing skies lately, lots of wind today...but no rain ;( Still, you got most of your planting out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our roof-top weather station can record as little as one one-hundredth of an inch of rain and it picked up nothing, Denise. The top of the patio table was damp but the pavement was dry.

      The label on my Philotheca also identified it as Eriostemon. I discovered that I've planted Philotheca before but I've no recollection as to what happened to the original plant. Although the tag called for full sun, San Marcos Growers says it's best in partial shade so I'm hoping my placement of this specimen will give it a better chance of thriving!

      Delete
  6. "Crazy even by my standards" had me laugh out loud Kris. Fingers crossed for rain for you! (and sun for me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly did consider getting up when I woke just after 4am on Friday but a peek out the window indicated it wasn't raining so I skipped that ;) One long-term forecast shows a prospect of rain in late March but I'm back in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

      Delete
  7. Those are beautiful Osteospermums, the colors as well as the forms.

    I put my tubs and barrels out because the forecast said 90% chance of rain. We didn't even get 0.01". Oh well...at least it's not 90F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the well-publicized storm was a bust here too. At least cooler temperatures have returned, although the wind here today was ridiculous, drying foliage and soil surfaces.

      Delete
  8. I love the title of this post: "Hustling to plant in advance of rain." I think I'll print it in 48-point type and hang it over my desk. Maybe it'll bring us some rain. Up here in the Sacramento Valley, we're getting desperate. Only 0.2" since January 1! I've started run the drip irrigation and am hand-watering my potted plants.

    Your plant haul is thoughtfully curated. I love Aeonium 'Mardi Gras' but I haven't had much luck with it. I'll admire it in your garden.

    So happy to see you got a dudleya. I think dudleyas would do really well in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my hustling to plant didn't bring us any rain so perhaps you should try a rain dance, Gerhard ;) We've only had 0.12/inch of rain since the end of December so I entirely understand how you feel. I've exhausted all my collected rainwater.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.