Friday, August 30, 2024

Summertime focus on foliage

In my part of the world, heat combined with a prolonged dry period, results in a fair number of torched and shriveled plants by late summer.  While some will come back, many will give up.  In prior years, I've spent a lot of time trying to minimize the losses by supplementing the twice weekly run of our irrigation system with hand-watering but for a variety of reasons I haven't done that this summer.  I hope I'll find suitable replacements for the plants that perish but yesterday I decided to focus on what looked good, which in general meant foliage plants.

Most of the photos I snapped were in our front garden, which I suppose makes sense as I want the front garden to make a good impression year round and therefore I rely more heavily on shrubs in the front garden.

My husband removed the very dead Leucadendron 'Safari Goldstrike' in the front garden when I was down with COVID and the 'Multicolor' Agaves and Aloe labworana, previously half-buried under the tall shrub, appreciate the change

The Hong Kong orchid tree (Bauhinia x blakeana) looked terrible in July but it's perked up recently, possibly due to the the part-time return of our morning marine layer

I wish I'd bought more 'Feather Falls' Carexes when I came across them last year.  They look good backed by this Phormium 'Maori Queen' and surrounded by Coprosma 'Evening Glow'.

Coprosma 'Evening Glow' (left) has done much better than C. 'Fire Burst' (right), which is prone to bare legs

Some of my Phormium 'Maori Queen' look great, like the 2 shown here, but I may remove 2 others that have gradually been enveloped by Lomandra and just look messy

Centaurea 'Silver Feather' looks better since I cut back its floppy flower stems

The 'Copper Glow' Leptospermums on either side of the front walk always look good but they still need a good pruning

Even with 2 pruning sessions a year, Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' pushes the boundaries of the spaces I've allocated to them.  I'd asked the gardeners to leave their pruning to me and had signs posted on both shrubs earlier in the year, removing them once I thought the message had an impact.  It seems they left the one on the left alone but someone recently chose to sheer the one on the right like a hedge when my husband and I were out.

Having success with coleus (Plectranthus scutellarioides) in various shady areas, I've been adding more.  I successfully overwintered the 'Florida Sun Rose' (upper left) and 'Flame Thrower Chili Pepper' (upper right) last year.  Those on the bottom row, 'Stained Glassworks Velvet', 'Glennis', and 'Indian Summer', were added this year.


There were a few more plants in the front area alongside the garage that I took note of too.

With a little more cosmetic work, the Agave attenuata that suffered from "agave edema" last year when covered with tarps by the tree service pruning the Arbutus tree are looking good once again.  I've kept photos of the disfigurement of the leaves on the trunks I removed to share with the tree service on their annual visit in the fall.

Manfreda maculosa and an unknown Sedum spring back every year

I relegated this houseplant, Schefflera 'Neon', to this corner of the garden several years ago when it was in serious decline.  I fully expected it to die but it now looks pretty good with no attention from me whatsoever.


It's not that there weren't any foliage standouts elsewhere in the garden.  Here are some of those I identified:

I took this photo of a collection of Leucadendron and Grevillea in mid-July when the light was perfect.  The spiky Grevillea shrubs in front are 'Scarlet Sprite'.  The Leucadendrons include 'Chief'', 'Ebony', and 'Blush'.

I never got around to replacing Jacaranda 'Bonsai Blue' but I did cut it back earlier this year.  It didn't bloom at all but it's shape is more attractive now.

Lomandra longifolia 'Breeze' was my go-to grass substitute when I began planting this garden.  I've got them in both the back and the front garden areas.  As I generally grouped 3 in each spot, some of them are looking a bit cramped after all these years.  I may remove a couple of the smaller clumps this fall.

After 7 years in the ground Metrosideros collina 'Springfire' in the south-side garden has finally experienced a decent growth spurt

I hard pruned the 3 Agonis flexuosa 'Nana' shrubs shown here again this year and they've finally fleshed out again.  The Aeoniums edging this bed are in their dormant stage but most will recover once temperatures cool and rain returns.

I have varieties of Aeoniums all over my garden, some sadder than others.  The clump on the left is an unnamed Aeonium arboreum.  I believe the one on the right is A. 'Copper Penny' but it's barely recognizable at the moment.

The south-side succulent bed I renovated earlier this year is coming together, although it could use a bit of a cleanup.  This is the view from the back, focused on Agave americana 'Mediopicta Alba' and A. 'Blue Flame'.  The A. ovalifolia I planted just outside the lower frame of this shot is still teeny.


Lest you think I've lost my fixation with flowers, I rely on my cutting garden for floral color at this time of year.

I didn't have room for all my dahlia tubers in the raised beds and barrels in the cutting garden (left) so some ended up in containers elsewhere (right).  The cutting garden and the containers are the only spots that are getting extra water this year.


Best wishes for a pleasant weekend and, if you're in the US, happy Labor Day!


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


16 comments:

  1. I like the first shot with the agave & aloe labworana, they are handling summer like they should. The carexes do look nice, so does your Phormium and Lomandra. I struggle with placing grassy-like plants. I don't have as much space as you do, and they can overtake an area and then I end up removing them. But it adds such a wonderful softness. Hmm. I do love foxtail agaves, I'm glad they recovered. The houseplant Schefflera 'Neon', look great there, what a nice pop of color. Your cutting garden is always impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm constantly looking for the perfect grass or grass substitute. I planted Mexican feather grass (Nasella tenuissima) rather extensively in the early days until I finally recognized that it's really as aggressive/invasive as it's reputed to be. (I've removed some but not all.) Lomandra isn't at all invasive but it does get big and it isn't especially easy to groom. I've also tried various Festucas, Seslerias, and Pennisetums ;)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful shots and plants - that 'Feather Falls' carex is a bestseller where I work. I thought I had that in the past but maybe I didn't or perhaps it died. Hopefully rain will start soon. This time of year, we are about ready to throw in the towel but at least we got some relief last week. However, blazing temps are in store this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Feather Falls' reminds me a little of Carex 'Evergold' but 'Falls' is tougher. As I recall, I found it one of the nurseries 90+ minutes to the north but I've yet to find it locally. If/when I do, I'll replace all my 'Evergolds' ;) Best wishes with your rain prospects! I'd lay odds you'll get rain before we do in SoCal - unless one of those miracle monsoonal systems creeps our way from the desert area.

      Delete
  3. 'Feather Falls' is in a stock tank here on the Oregon coast and is flawless year round. I trimmed the really long grassy strands this spring that were smothering nearby plants in the ground, and it shot up strong and arching again from the center. That 'Bonsai Blue' jacaranda looks pretty great just for its leaves alone! I brought a Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty' up north, which survived the winter but looked ratty and had a long recovery time, so I pulled it. Lomandra are so good in SoCal! Hang in there, cooler days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably have as much or more Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty' as I have 'Breeze' - like 'Breeze', it's happy here but it also gets big. HB turned me on to a dwarf variety, which I'm trialing. I also have a couple of 'Tropic Belles', which are interesting but require regular grooming.

      Delete
  4. With such excellent foliage, who needs blooms? Leucadendron 'Safari Goldstrike' wouldn't be missed at all: 'Multicolor' Agaves and Aloe labworana are gorgeous plus low maintenance: a bonus.
    Schefflera 'Neon' is perfect in the shade; really to good to see it flourish! (Sometimes it seems plants do better if we leave them alone :-D)
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get by without flowers but I have come to appreciate foliage to a greater extent since taking on this larger, drier, and generally more challenging garden, Chavli. I was surprised by the Shefflera and I hope the magic is repeated with the Philodendron 'Birkin' I just moved to the same area after it struggled with its prior spot in our living room.

      Delete
  5. Came in to take a break from the heat and see what is happening in your garden. I need all the foliar inspirations I can get. I was overthinking the mess in my own garden. Thanks for the reset! I've added Carex 'Feather Falls' to my wish list based on your and Denise's recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you're in heat's grip, Jerry! We got lucky with another relatively cool weekend. The marine layer moved in this morning, which got the day started on a nice note and we seem to have peaked at 80F :) Between late yesterday afternoon and this morning I put in almost 4 hours cleaning up and cutting things back in one area that wasn't even on my to-do list. Now I need to work up steam to tackle the projects that are on my list!

      Delete
  6. Foliage is good, too. The Schefflera 'Neon' is quite striking. The 2nd from last photo especially good with the roof line of the house as architectural foil to the foliage.

    Where did you find the dwarf Lomandra? I was unable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the dwarf Lomandra at Roger's in early November 2022. I can't recall seeing it since, HB.

      Delete
  7. I love that 2nd to the last shot of the south-side succulent bed, an angle I don't remember seeing before. My garden is also showing the effects of a long dry (hot... we're headed to 100 again this week!) summer. There's a tour group from Madison visiting week after next. A part of the world that does get summer rain, I wonder what they'll think of the parched landscape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100, ugh! We've yet to reach that point this summer, although we've hovered just below it a couple of times. Even the periodic presence of the marine layer has helped but the climate experts say the likelihood of La Nina conditions solidifying between September and November are very high. That increases the probability that the southwest, including Southern California, may be in for a very dry fall-spring :( I hope the heat doesn't get too bad this week and that your tour goes well!

      Delete
  8. You have such beautiful textures and colors in your garden, Kris! So lovely. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza. I had to make myself focus on the positive even when I tend to see only the garden's warts at this time of year.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.