Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Froggsong Gardens: Too much to see, too little time

I'm going to jump around a bit and cover the third stop on our Puget Sound Fling garden tour next, with promises that I'll loop back later.  Froggsong Gardens, a five-acre estate garden situated within a seventeen-acre property on Vashon Island, was our lunch stop before taking a ferry back to the mainland on Day One.  Both Fling buses, carrying a total of one hundred hungry participants, arrived at the same time, which made it a very busy place.

I took a few quick shots before locating my box lunch and settling down with everyone else to eat.

I'm assuming that the plant front and center with huge leaves facing the driveway is Gunnera, which isn't something you see in my part of the country.  Even the leaves of the Hosta next to it were huge by comparison to the punier specimens occasionally found in garden centers near me.

The Hydrangeas in the driveway were huge too

There was a large lawn area adjacent to the pavilion that held tables for the lunch crowd


A set of arched shrubs were designed as a passageway for a wedding party with plenty of space to conduct the ceremony just ahead


After a brief welcome by the garden's owner and inhaling my lunch, I headed off to the garden area adjacent to the house.

Deep borders encircled the house 

Flowers in bright colors were literally everywhere


Flower fanatic that I am, I was hooked by all the color the area offered.

A compelling color mix

Closeups of Hydrangeas and a particularly vivid red-leaved shrub that my phone's app identified as either Disanthus cercidifolius or Cercis canadensis 'Rising Sun'

More deep borders edged the lawn area

A rill framed in concrete spilled water into a small bubbling pond

A larger pond filled with water plants was surrounded by a walkway not too far away

What I'm assuming is one of the famous wedding cake trees, Cornus controversa 'Variegata', dominated this section of the garden.  It's certainly perfect for a wedding venue.

Another border closer to the house


The pamphlet we'd received describing each of the gardens had specifically mentioned a Hydrangea Walk at Froggsong so I made an effort to locate it.  I can't be certain the area shown below is the official "Walk"  as I didn't have time to explore the entire five acres but I'm guessing this stretch deserved the title.


Closeups of selected Hydrangea shrubs


The Hydrangeas were impressive and, as many tour participants have commented, these shrubs quickly became the unofficial floral stars of the Fling.  However, the floral displays at Froggsong Gardens also underscored the prominence of lilies in summer's Puget Sound gardens.  As I've had somewhat more success growing lilies than I've had growing hydrangeas, I was perhaps even more entranced by the lilies.

Lily caught mingling with 'Limelight' Hydrangea

More tree-sized lilies

Just a few lily closeups


Of course, there were many more flowers mixed in with complementary foliage plants throughout the garden borders.  I didn't even try to capture all of them in photos; however, I did collect a handful of photos of flowers I've seldom seen in Southern California even though they're technically well-suited to my climate.

Tigridia pavonia, also known as Mexican shell flowers and tiger flowers, grow from bulbs.  The flowers last only one day but the bloom period reportedly lasts several weeks if the plants are well-watered during their growth and bloom periods.


Once again, I ran out of time to walk other parts of these gardens before it was time to climb back onto our buses.  There's never enough time to cover everything but I do regret my failure to take at least a few wider shots that might have provided a better overview of this charming garden.  Pam Penick offers a more extensive overview of Froggsong than I managed, which can be found on her blog, Digging, here.   

I noticed a display of nursery plants on my way out



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


16 comments:

  1. Those lilies and hydrangeas were astonishing. I especially couldn't believe how tall the lilies were. Thanks for sharing - and the link love too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm growing several of the so-call "tree lilies" in my own garden, Pam. Reportedly, they'll get taller every year. I can affirm that mine are taller than they were in their first couple of years but nowhere near the heights of those I saw in the Puget Sound. However, assuming the gophers don't chomp through the bulbs, maybe they'll surprise me in future years.

      Delete
  2. Looks like another great garden! I love the Hydrangeas and the Mexican Shell Flowers. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos and stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for some Tigridia bulbs. The flowers are interesting, even if they're fleeting.

      Delete
  3. I really loved this garden ..and the lilies were insane ! I test quite a few lilies and plant more of those that do well. I lose some every year-it's always an experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had one "tree lily" give up on me after year one - 'Purple Prince' and the problem may be attributable to gophers. Lilium 'Conca d'Or' has come back but the output is disappointing; however, I may be at fault as I planted the bulbs in one of the driest spots in my garden. I've already pre-ordered next year's experiment - the 'Zeba' lily I fell in love with after seeing it in a few of the Fling gardens.

      Delete
  4. This garden has lovely water features. I have special fondness for rills, which I'd love to have in my garden.
    The red Lily has quite an unusual - and vivid color. Did you stop to smell any of them? The pink 'star gazer' lily is often the most fragrant.
    (The colorful shrub in photo 9 indeed looks like Cercis).
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have a rill in my garden too, Chavli, although I expect the raccoons would have a field day with that! I never got up close and personal enough with the lilies to sniff them during the Fling but then I've never had the best nose for scent. All the lilies I grew this year were highly scented, at least under household conditions, but the most highly scented of mine was 'Pretty Woman'.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed the lilies here so much, they were thriving. I think you got some lovely pictures, and of things I didn't see. The Tigridia bulbs are definitely something I'll try in my garden, hopefully they don't fry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest challenge may be finding the Tigridia bulbs to start with, Tracy. I can't remember ever seeing them for sale locally in my area.

      Delete
    2. One of our local nursery people said Tigridias love heat, so they might do alright if you can find them. They are one of my favorite bulbs, but unfortunately they loathe the winter wet in my garden. I might try them again though if I find them. I might have the perfect spot on a hot slope under some Douglasfir trees.

      Delete
    3. It looks like both High Country Gardens and Brent & Becky's Bulbs have Tigridia for spring shipment. It's worth a try for me, although Hoover Boo's experience sounds like it wasn't great.

      Delete
  6. I love how differently we all see a garden, I can guarantee you that I didn't get nearly the floral photos that you did, although at quick glance I see I did snap quite a few lily pics, how could I not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some of the Puget Sound gardens, I do think it'd have been harder to frame photos without lilies than with them, Loree! I don't imagine ever having that many lilies - or any that tall, for that matter - but they can't be beaten for their pizzazz or scent.

      Delete
  7. Well I missed a huge amount at that garden. Should have skipped lunch. I love those Dogwoods.

    I grew Tigridia a couple of years in the early '00's. Seems to me I got them at a local nursery. Many of the standard bulb-sellers have them, like Brent & Becky's. Mostly from southern Mexico and central America, as I remember they like a good amount of water and a dry winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, a "good amount of water and a dry winter" doesn't sound like a great match for our climate. I'd read that they can tolerate dry conditions but need regular water during their growing and bloom periods, which sounded like dahlias, expect that the blooms last only a day. High Country Gardens also sells the bulbs, maybe worth a try in a pot.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.