Friday, August 16, 2024

Filling in the Gaps in my Day One Coverage of the Fling

It's been a busy week as I struggled to catch up with delayed housekeeping and garden demands.  I've made only dents in both but I decided this was a good opportunity to catch up on my Day One coverage of the Puget Sound Fling in mid-July.  I skipped two gardens, both which we visited relatively briefly.  My photographic coverage of both is also woefully incomplete but I can only share what I have.

The first of these is the Halstead-Robinson Garden on Vashon Island, which my bus visited after Carhart Garden and prior to our lunch stop at Froggsong Garden.   We had half an hour to explore the half-acre garden, located in Dockton overlooking the Quartermaster Harbor.  My own garden is just over a half-acre in size and, even knowing it as well as I do, I'm not sure I could photograph it effectively in half an hour!

I snapped this shot of the harbor and a restaurant directly across the street from the Halstead-Robinson Garden when we dismounted the bus.  I have to say that a restaurant that close to home has appeal!

The borders were full of plants I find impossible to grow, like these Astilbe

I understand that the owners lost 20 large plants due to extreme winter conditions, which required some adjustments

As we learned in virtually every garden we visited, Hydrangeas were in fine form throughout the Puget Sound

A shady vignette complete with a dry streambed

Steps leading to a deck surrounding the Craftsman home built in 1908


It was a playful garden, as exemplified by the artistic features scattered throughout, as well a two areas dedicated to involving visitors in the garden.

Anita Halstead is a mosaic and topiary artist and evidence of her work was evident in many areas.  I don't know if the metalwork black bird was her design but I loved it too.

This chess set in the middle of the front lawn invited play

This invitation to explore meditation while walking through a small maze was also intriguing, although I neglected to photograph the maze itself


There were several inviting seating areas, of which I'll share two.

A short path led to a shaded bench sheltered by tall shrubs

This shaded bench under a tree was backed by Halstead's stylish topiaries


The gardeners/homeowners generously offered plants for sale.

Tempting, but I consistently steered clear of anything I'd have to cram into my luggage and check at the airport

The garden was full of wonderful plants but these 2 caught my eye: Alcea (hollyhock) on the left and Schizanthus (poor man's orchid) on the right.  Unfortunately, the former is a magnet for rust in my area.  I haven't seen plugs or even seed of the latter in years but it's among the top 10 of my favorite flowering annuals.


Although I missed a lot, I took note of the compost bins.  They're unexciting but I consider them as evidence of a hands-on gardener.

They look well-used!


The other stop I skipped over during my earlier coverage was Point Defiance Park, which we saw after Froggsong Park and our ferry ride back to the mainland and before the day's final stop at Gray Garden.  My recollection is that we had less than half an hour there, which when faced with a 760-acre park, required severe limitations on my options.  I saw only the Dahlia Trial Garden and the Fuchsia Garden before we were hailed to load our bus.

I followed a group of locals in the general direction of the Dahlia Trial Garden, just a short distance from our bus

The dahlias were numbered, not named.  This one stood out within the group the park was trialing this year.

I liked these 3 too

These are some of the others that were in bloom


I spent some time chatting so I admittedly captured little of the Fuchsia Garden.

According to the park's online site, the garden's collection features 125 upright fuchsias


Next week, time permitting, I'll get started with Day Two of the Fling.  In the meantime, best wishes for a good weekend!


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


16 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you experience rusty hollyhock as well, being your area is so much dryer. Then those grow well, they are quite lovely. I especially like the wine-red to almost black varieties.
    No visit to the PNW is complete without running into a gaggle of Canada geese!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the hollyhock rust is a timing issue, Chavli - our morning marine layers seem to be the major contributors to both rust and mildew here. The marine layer usually disappears, at least at our elevation, sometime in April, but this year it hung on well into June. However, while Southern California used to be known for its "dry heat," we seem to be getting more humid year after year, perhaps related to climate change. Our humidity is nothing like what the southeastern part of the US gets but its noticeable.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I saw the schizanthus, and wouldn't have know what it was. I'm going to throw some of that seed around and see what it does. Love that bloom. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Schizanthus was growing in a pot, as I recall. It used to be sold in 6-packs (plugs) here every year but the plant growers must have tired of it because I haven't come across it for years. I can't say how easy it is to grow from seed but I may try that too.

      Delete
  3. Missed seeing the compost bin--looks nicely thought out and constructed. Funny I find compost bins as interesting as other parts of a garden--but i do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my bins were bigger - and not located alongside a fence where my neighbor's giant Strelitzias roots creep into my bins through the soil.
      But there weren't many spots where they weren't obtrusive!

      Delete
  4. Although it was a rushed visit, you captured some things I missed, like the compost bins, plants for sale, and restaurant next door to the Halstead-Robinson Garden, which was the first stop of the day for my bus. Not to mention all the dahlias at Point Defiance Park, where I spent the 30 minutes yakking instead of wandering. Ha! Thanks for sharing your pics, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I'd wondered if I'd have done a better job covering the Halstead-Robinson Garden if it'd been first up on my schedule, Pam! The time constraint was clearly the issue there. As to the dahlias, I'm a little obsessed with them during the summer months so, with the clock ticking, I made that my first stop at Point Defiance ;)

      Delete
  5. I would have loved to see a dahlia trials garden, there are so many different forms and hybrids these days. The tall fuchsias must have been quite the sight! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only bowled over by the one dahlia I identified as my favorite but then beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I wish I'd had more time for the Fuchsia Garden.

      Delete
  6. "The borders were full of plants I find impossible to grow, like these Astilbe."

    I had to laugh when I read this caption. It describes just about every single garden we visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While they're were some agaves, I'm not sure we can claim that every garden lived up to Loree's mantra that "there's always an agave." I'm still tempted to try Hydrangeas but it'd probably be a fool's errand.

      Delete
    2. "There's always an agave... IF you look hard enough". Perhaps you just weren't looking hard enough? ;)

      Delete
    3. That could be true, Loree ;) I look forward to all the agaves you found during the tour!

      Delete
  7. You would never know they had any winter damage at all. Everything looked good to my eyes. Both you and I need to find the rust-resistant hollyhocks. I finally got some blooms this year, but the plant itself is a rusty mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rust develops on hollyhocks so rapidly here, I've yet to ever hold on to any of them to reach bloom stage!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.