Monday, August 19, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Abundance

Some of the stragglers among the dahlias I've grown from tubers this year are gradually making an appearance and, with others on their way, I felt spoiled for choice when it came to cutting floral materials on Sunday.  Drawn by their abundance and tall stems, I cut several 'Summer's End' Dahlias as a starting point.  The plant was enthusiastic last season but it's really overachieving this year.

Front view, showing off the 'Summer's End' Dahlias

Back view: To add interest, I added one large bloom of Dahlia 'La Luna' and the first bloom of Dahlia 'Labyrinth' to the mix

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Inca Sundance', Cuphea 'Honeybells', Dahlia 'Labyrinth', D. 'La Luna', D. 'Summer's End', and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'


I cut two stems of the most recent dahlia bloom, 'Excentric', even though both were short.  Snipping them at this stage cost me several side shoots but I'm hoping that cutting deeper into the plant will promote a bushier plant in the long run.  Unfortunately, the dahlias ended up being largely eclipsed by the Zinnias.

Dahlia 'Excentric' ended up literally pushed aside and largely out of sight with Zinnias taking center stage

Back view, with Amaryllis belladonna assuming the limelight

Top view

Top row: Abelia grandiflora 'Edward Goucher', Amaryllis belladonna, and Dahlia 'Excentric'
Middle: Eustoma grandiflorum, Myrtus communis, and noID Pelargonium
Bottom: Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Wine', noID Zinnia, and Z. e. 'Zinderella Lilac'


The Rudbeckias are also coming on strong. 

I cut a handful of the Rudbeckia hirta 'Sahara' to exemplify the color variations within the mix I purchased by mail order.  I added a single stem of coleus (Plectranthus scuttellarioides 'Florida Sun Rose') I managed to preserve from last year to the small vase that often sits on our kitchen island.


We had several lovely days with temperatures in the high 70sF to low 80sF (25C to 28C).  That streak is expected to break today before (hopefully) declining once more midweek.  As I've been trying to catch up on garden maintenance, cooler weather is greatly appreciated.


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden to see what she and others have to offer this week.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


24 comments:

  1. "Spoiled for choice" isn't a bad place to be. I'd call it reward, as no one works harder for it.
    The pink vase is irresistible! I like that it encompasses the full spectrum from white to in-your-face HOT pink! This vase will not be ignored; I love it.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That pink arrangement surprised me, Chavli. I had low expectations for it when I started but I kept adding things to it and now it's my favorite for this week.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, the 'LaLuna" in the first vase is so good. Bella Donna can be tough in an arrangement (for me) because of the way they nod. You've really placed it perfectly here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dahlia 'La Luna', Tracy. I got 2 divisions to sprout from the tubers I divided last year and I hope they will provide a bounty of blooms when they really get going. I cut the Amaryllis stems down to a small fraction of their original size to make them work in that arrangement. I wasn't sure their pale pink color would work well with the stronger pinks but I guess, if you throw in enough variety, it all comes together in the end.

      Delete
  3. I must say that color combo of dahlias in the first vase was wow! And then the beautiful pinks with that prim and proper dahlia taking center stage is equally breathtaking in the second vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I do seem to have an off mix of dahlia colors going at the moment.

      Delete
  4. An absolutely yummy trio of vases, Kris, I love them! Your dahlia collection is the best.
    Hope the weather continues to be more pleasant. đŸ™đŸŒ Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as though today will be very warm and tomorrow will be HOT but then temperatures will slowly come down and next weekend should also be as pleasant as the past weekend was, Eliza. I can't complain (too much) about the mix.

      Delete
  5. My Sahara has been grown from seed and, as you say, the colours vary and are all really striking - I love your little third vase especially, but your ther two have such an intersting mix intshem and I have enjoyed studying the different elements

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Eliza, yummy! Weather sounds yummy too. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're back in the low 90s today and I pushed my luck with work in the garden this morning. Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter still but I'm hoping the forecast for later this week holds and there's a pleasant weekend ahead of us.

      Delete
  7. I love those flowers that are big and bold at this time of year. "Dainty" just doesn't seem to say "August".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just surviving the heat earns points in my book! Dahlias, Rudbeckias, and Zinnias all do that (provided they get sufficient water).

      Delete
  8. An amazing collection of blooms, lovingly arranged. So pretty. Would be hard to choose a favorite but I'm taken with your Dahlia 'La Luna'. Also your zinnias are really doing well. I think I grew Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Wine' one year. Very strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hard time distinguishing Zinnia 'Benary's Giant Wine' from 'Benary's Giant Purple' except that the former has been more vigorous thus far. Their colors are almost identical to my eyes.

      Delete
  9. I remember those Summer's End Dahlias from last year Kris and they are such a gorgeous dreamy colour! Their name is very appropriate too, as summer is definitely coming to an end here. We can see the signs, although more heat is on the way. Love those big zinnias in your second vase too. Two glorious arrangements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I didn't properly support Dahlia 'Summer's End' before it became a behemoth but, despite the fact that it flopped all over the place, it was a prodigious bloomer. This year, I caged it early and the plant is growing straight up - it's at least 5 feet tall now. I wish the plant's name was indicative of a shift in the season here; however, I think we're in for summer conditions well into October. I'd love to be wrong about that, though!

      Delete
  10. I love those peachy/tangerine colors in the first arrangement, especially combined with 'La Luna.' Wow! You really have an impressive collection of Dahlias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dahlias are still coming in, Beth! Dahlia 'Lady Darlene' made her entrance this morning and 'Fairway Spur' isn't far behind :) 'Brown Sugar' and 'Iceberg' are trailing behind...

      Delete
  11. Your collection of Dahlias is beautiful! I love them all, especially La Luna, and all so beautifully arranged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! Dahlia 'La Luna' is one of my favorites too.

      Delete
  12. Though I don't like the name (summer should never end!) I do love the 'Summer's End' Dahlias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to wonder why it was named that, Loree. I can only guess it was cultivated in a part of the country in which summer is a lot shorter than it is here! Our summer probably won't be over until some time in October...It isn't even regarded as a late bloomer.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.