Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Bloom Day - August 2024 (Early Edition)

August is the low point for floral color in my garden.  If it wasn't for a burst of new blooms from my cutting garden, I'm not sure it'd be worth publishing a Bloom Day post.  After a slow start the Dahlias are off and running as the stars of my cutting garden, with Rudbeckias and Zinnias rolling up behind them.

Dahlia 'Creme de Cognac', new to my garden this year, is perhaps the most floriferous at the moment but then I planted 2 clumps of tubers in this case

Dahlia 'Summer's End' is almost as prolific but all its flowers are the product of one small clump saved from last year

I planted 2 clumps of Dahlia 'Catching Fire' saved from last year too, both of which are putting on a good show, albeit on a staggered schedule

I picked up a Dahlia 'Vancouver' at my local garden center in early June when I got a late start planting my dahlia tubers.  As the temperatures have soared, its floral production has stepped up but, for some reason, the flowers have also taken a spidery shape.  Maybe that's a response to heat - or possibly a virus?

Dahlia 'Break Out' is a slow bloomer but pretty

Dahlia 'Mikayla Miranda' produced its first flowers last week.  This is one of my favorites from last year.

Dahlia 'La Luna' is another of last year's favorites.  I originally planted the tuber in 2022.  Reportedly a "late bloomer," it never flowered at all that year.  I thought I'd dug up the tuber and tossed it, only to find it make a surprise appearance in 2023.  I divided it and planted 2 out tubers this year.  It produced its first flower this week with more on the way.


At the moment, all but two of the remaining dahlia tubers I planted out have buds in development.  Those I expect to see in the next few weeks include: 'Brown Sugar','Excentric', 'Fairway Spur', 'Iceberg', 'Labyrinth', and 'Lady Darlene'.  The other 2, which still offer promise, are 'Belle of Barmera' (which sprouted just when I'd decided to toss it) and 'Hometown Hero', one of this year's new acquisitions.

Additional inhabitants of my cutting garden currently in bloom include the following:

Rudbeckia hirta 'Sahara', planted as pubs I received by mail order in May.  All the plants look slightly different from one another.


The Zinnia elegans seeds I sowed in June are off to a relatively slow start.  Clockwise from the upper left, they include: 'Benary's Giant Purple', 'Benary's Giant Wine' (which looks remarkably similar to 'BNP'), 'Golden Hour', 'Raspberry Limeade', and 'Zinderella Peach'.

Clockwise from the upper left, miscellaneous other plants currently in bloom include: Cuphea 'Honeybells', Pelargonium hortorum 'Hot Pink', Digitalis purpurea, Pandorea jasminoides, Dipladenia hybrid, noID Scaevola, and Tanacetum parthenium 

This is a poor photo but this squash flower growing underneath Dahlia 'La Luna' in one of my raised planters was a big surprise!  I haven't grown vegetables in this area for 7 or 8 years and I don't think I ever grew squash in this particular planter.


There are only a few flowers elsewhere in the garden that have recently made a splash.

Amaryllis belladonna always seem to catch me by surprise.  I noticed the first bloom stalks last week and there seem to be more each day, all pink this far.

Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' produced a flush of peachy-pink blooms at the end of July.  As the older flowers turn a buff-beige color, new ones are still appearing.

The first flowers of Crassula perfoliata falcata (aka propeller or airplane plant) are getting started

The 6 Hemerocallis 'Spanish Harlem' in my front garden finished up in June, yet one plant produced a new flower stalk this month.  The plants often produce another round of blooms in the fall and this one is apparently getting an early start.


I've thrown the best of the rest into collages organized by color as I usually do.

Clockwise from the upper left: Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', Grevillea 'Superb', Hesperaloe parviflora, Lantana camara 'Orange', Leonotis leonurus, and Leucadendron 'Blush'


Left to right: Alstroemeria 'Inca Sundance', Grevillea 'Moonlight', and Lantana 'Lucky Yellow'

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope', Alstroemeria 'Claire', A. 'Inca Vienna', Crassula pubescens radicans, Fuchsia 'Windchimes White', Magnolia grandiflora. Myrtus communis, and Oenothera lindhiemeri (formerly classified as Gaura)

Clockwise from the upper left: Begonia 'Roseform', Cistus x skanbergii, Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', Eustoma grandiflorum, Grevillea sericea, Lantana camara 'Irene', noID Pelargonium

Clockwise from upper left: noID Ageratum, Eustoma grandiflorum, Nemesia hybrid 'Bicolor', Agapanthus 'Elaine', Osteospermum 'Purple Spoon', Verbena bonariensis, Wahlenbergia speciosa 'Blue Cloud', and Agapanthus 'Stevie's Wonder'


We hope for cooler temperatures in September, although the prospects aren't looking particularly favorable at present.  At best, we probably can't expect rain until late October either but who knows?  Maybe we'll get an errant tropical storm like we did last year.  Actually, there are residents in a nearby area that are dealing with a landslide who are hoping that La Nina conditions will minimize the level of rain during the 2025 "water year."  The slow-moving landslide, inadvertently triggered by construction activity in 1956, has started moving much faster after two years of heavier-than-usual rain, jeopardizing homes and recently leading the gas company to cut off service to 135 homes as the land moves as much as a foot a week in some cases and water "seepage" reportedly amounts to as much as fifteen gallons per minute in other spots.  If only that water could be captured and safely stored!  At the moment, what's diverted is being directed into the ocean.


For more flower-focused posts, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens, the host of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, on August 15th.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


22 comments:

  1. It looks like you have a lot of blooms for August. It finally cooled here and the long range forecast is glorious. Lots of clouds too which means I can work on trimming the monster hedge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO look forward to lots of clouds and cooler temperatures, Phillip!

      Delete
  2. Compared to my current bloom count, this is an astronomical amount of color & blooms! The dahlias look fantastic, I especially love 'Break Out'. How often/when does Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' bloom? It is really lovely. The landslide sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on a cursory survey of my own data, Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' seems to average 2 flushes of bloom a year, both usually during our "warm" season. They seem to come on with little advance warning, which I suppose is why I always express surprise when I notice the display.

      The landslide IS scary, although its about 5 miles away. When we renovated our house in 2019, I was annoyed by the complicated geological surveys required before we were allowed to push out our kitchen by 5 feet but I appreciate that requirement more since that nearby landslide has intensified.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are beautiful as always, and I love your collection of dahlias. How many dahlia tubers do you consider a clump?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider more than one tuber a "clump" and usually divide those I dig up into no more than 2 or 3 tubers. Interestingly, I've noticed that dahlia sellers vary significantly in what they provide to buyers. Swan Island (as well as Floret, when they were still selling dahlias) sends a single tuber, whereas Eden Brothers and Brecks provide much larger clumps of 4, 5 or 6 tubers. The latter aren't always in great shape and I usually cut off any damaged tubers or those dangling from the central stems. I suspect Eden and Brecks sell larger clumps to maximize the buyers' success in getting them to sprout.

      Delete
  4. Your floral bounty is overwhelming!! My bloom day post would have maybe 5 flowers :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have all those wonderful Echinopsis blooms, Gerhard!

      Delete
  5. Despite your laments about the temperatures you have an amazing collection of blooms. Thanks for sharing them Kris. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie. While the higher temperatures are bothersome, it's the garden's overall dryness that concerns me most.

      Delete
  6. So many lovelies! Your Dahlia collection is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias are what gets me through the dog days of summer, Beth!

      Delete
  7. Looking good even for a lull in flower power! I can almost smell the lantana now. I intensely dislike landslides and that is another concern I have about living where we do with a hill up behind the house (along with fire). There is a small landslide to the north of our house, maybe 500 - 1000 feet away or so. Hope it stays over there. I feel a little better now that trees have been replanted in the clearcut uphill and have had a chance to grow for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the one major landslide about 5 miles away (the one that started in 1956 and has recently stepped up its pace) and another about 10 miles away that activated about a year ago. Life on a peninsula is a little dicey it seems! However, the geological survey done as a prerequisite for our home renovation in 2019 was reasonably reassuring with respect to our own lot. I worry more about fire, especially as there are so many fools intent on taking their chances playing with illegal fireworks every year.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Beautiful blooms!
    Love the Dahlias!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many beauties! I stopped and made noises (good ones) when I saw that Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid', dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The majority of the flowers of 'Cane's Hybrid' are buff colored now, although there are still some peachy-pink ones in the back, where there's more protection from the intense sun. The amount of floral debris is generates is massive at its current size but at least it's not as obtrusive as the debris left behind by the red-flowered varieties I grew up with!

      Delete
  10. So many beautiful blooms! My dahlias are a bust this season, but it is ok. As always, beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that, Angie - I know you love your dahlias. Minnesota is definitely harder on those plants than California! Our biggest issue is the amount of water they need to thrive.

      Delete
  11. The abundance of beautiful blooms in your garden is always a pleasure to peruse, Kris. Your devotion to tending it is a marvel! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling the results of that devotion this weekend, Eliza ;) Every muscle in my body is currently feeling the efforts I've made over the past couple of days. There will come a day when I have to reduce my efforts and I'm not sure I'm prepared for that.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.