Friday, August 23, 2024

Meet Meeko

This can't really be viewed as a garden-related post but as my feline companions have played a role in many of my posts since the inception of this blog, I decided to introduce you to my new cat.  You may recall that I lost my seventeen year old cat, Pipig, in early June.  I haven't been completely cat-less since 2001 so her absence is something I felt daily.  Following my recovery from COVID, I decided it was time to add a new member to our household.  My husband and I visited our local animal shelter a week ago and I fell for an especially friendly six-month old female cat.  I was disappointed to discover that there was a five-day hold on her adoption because she was given up by her prior owner and the shelter gives that person a short reprieve to reconsider that decision.  My husband and I arrived at the shelter when it opened on Wednesday, hoping to to collect her and, after completing the required paperwork, we brought her home.

This was her mug shot


For the first time, I elected to keep the name that was given to her by someone else.  The name "Meeko" has its roots in both the Japanese and native Algonquian languages.  In Japanese, it generally translates as "bud" or "sprout" (a garden analogy!) but can also be construed to refer to a blessing.  In Algonquian, it means "little mischief."  As the pet raccoon in Disney's 1995 animated movie 'Pocahontas' was known by this name, I'm guessing that may have had something to do with the name given my new cat by her prior owners as a kitten.  In any case her behavior generally supports the fitness of the name.

This is a better shot of her than the mug shot



I initially tucked her into the guest bathroom to give her a chance to settle down in her new home.

She purred almost continuously around me but produced the occasional growl when she heard noises on the other side of the door she deemed suspicious.  I can only compare the growl to the sound made by a blocked kitchen disposal. 

She crawled into my lap on several occasions (but I could only handle sitting on the stone floor for so long)


As long as I stayed with her, she was relatively calm.  However, she cried whenever I left her alone so I eventually allowed her access to the front of the house, including my office, directly across the hall from the guest bathroom, which contained her food, water, and litter box.

She was thorough about checking every nook and cranny of my office, including this built-in bookcase

She spent a little time on the extra chair next to my desk chair - and checked out my desk too

She checked the scene outside the glass door and the paper shredder.  As you can see from these photos she's long and very skinny, although the shelter's vets considered her healthy.

Eventually she sought safety under the loveseat in my office, which is where Pipig almost always went whenever she got scared


On that first day, she reappeared when she got hungry in the early evening.  After eating, she started exploring more of the house.  We closed off just the back of the house overnight but gave her free reign of rest of the house with the exception of my husband's office and our laundry room the next morning.  I've also encouraged her to visit the "catio," which is accessible to her via a small door in the living room wall.  She's walked in and out of the space a few times the first day but I got her to spend more time there yesterday.  She experienced sensory overload once again yesterday afternoon and returned to her safe zone under the loveseat in my office.  Although I don't recall slow adjustment periods like this with my other cats, it's been sixteen years since I introduced a new cat and the literature provided by the shelter indicates this is entirely normal.

She won't be a garden cat.  Much as I'd like her to accompany me in the garden, cars and coyotes pose significant threats to her safety here so she'll need to get used to her catio.  (My husband looks forward to having a single litter box located outside in the enclosed catio.)

Gardening has taken a back door to Meeko this week but the weather turned comfortable again on Thursday with temperatures in the mid-to-upper 70sF.  It's expected to remain relatively cool through the weekend so I hope to put in at least a few hours in the garden (especially if Meeko continues to spend her afternoons under the loveseat).  For one thing, I received a plant order late yesterday afternoon I need to do something with.

Did I need 18 new Echeverias?  That's questionable, although there are some empty spots in certain areas that could benefit from a few additions.  And Mountain Crest Gardens had a 30% off sale.


Best wishes for a wonderful weekend!  If you missed the Super Blue Moon this week, here's the shot I got:

Shot taken from my backyard on Tuesday around 9pm




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

28 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy for you!!! Your new companion is pretty darn cute. I doubt it will take her much time to figure out how good she has it, with her own catio and all. Great news :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeko is getting bolder by the hour! I had to remove her from the kitchen island 4 or 5 times just while I was having breakfast. She's sprinting across the house now. I'm about to change the sheets in the master bedroom, and I wonder how that's going to go ;)

      Delete
    2. Ha ha ha, the sheet change is always a favorite. It sounds like she's settling right in!

      Delete
    3. Even my older cats always liked to "help" making the bed. She proved no exception!

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted to meet Meeko. She's beautiful, and I wish you a long and happy relationship with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's settling in well today, although she managed to escape the house briefly when my husband opened the door wide enough to pick up 2 packages. She's going to be a handful I expect!

      Delete
  3. Aw, congratulations on your new kitty! With the high number of pets in shelters, she’s lucky to have a good home and I’m sure will keep you entertained.

    Love the name! I used to have a Mikko (Scandinavian version), a brown tabby. He was a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped by the pet store this afternoon and bought her a few toys in an effort to keep her amused. A friend I met for lunch gave me a 'cat dancer' toy, very simple in construction but, so far, that's already her favorite thing! I've also discovered that she's an obsessive bug tracker!

      Delete
  4. Oh, she's a sweetheart! I've had cats most of my life, too, and things just don't seem right without one. <3 Our Lexie kitty and our Nicholas dog get along like caring siblings, and they definitely enrich our lives. Meeko is lucky and so are you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Regrettably, my husband has drawn a line when it comes to dogs. (He didn't grow up with pets as I did.) I'd like to add a second cat at some point as I think Meeko might appreciate a companion but I'll wait until she's settled in and my husband has adapted to having a young, energetic cat in the house.

      Delete
  5. Welcome Meeko of the Long Tail! What a wise decision to bring her home. And a box filled with echeverias is always a good idea. Glad. you're feeling better and the weather is cooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her tail is long, isn't it?! She's got a long body too, which I suspect means she may grow into a much bigger cat than Pipig was. When I was a kid we had a gray cat (one of a litter our Siamese cat surprised us with) who was also long and thin. My brother at around age 4 named her Pussywillow and she lived to be 19.

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous kitty! Meeko chose well when she picked you and your husband as her new people. Soon enough she'll rule her new home.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although she's spent a lot of time roaming the house - she loved rummaging through our bedroom closets! - she retreats underneath the loveseat in my office whenever she seems overloaded. I've tried a variety of toys to keep her active and engaged but so far the only one she loves is the "cat dancer" a friend gave me yesterday, which is the simplest of the batch.

      Delete
  7. Although I already knew of Meeko via Instagram it was lovely to see more of her here. Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the shelter labelled her as a "young adult," she's really still a kitten. It's been a long time since I had a kitten and I'm in the process of relearning what that means.

      Delete
  8. I am so happy for you! Meeko is absolutely adorable. We've never kept the name that was used at the shelter. Our little Linnaeus (Linny) was named Inchworm, which neither of us liked. But, we soon found out why he was named that. He loves to tunnel into blankets, towels, and pillows, with only a bit of paw or tail sticking out to show where he is. They are so cute at Meeko's age. Be sure to take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inchworm! I usually wait a little while before settling on a name. Pipig (Swedish for Squeaky) was called Mandy Manilow by the rescue group I got her from and I didn't hesitate to throw that one out. If the 3 cats we adopted before that had names, I must've ignored them altogether. Meeko's original owner apparently got her as a kitten and she knows that name, which was one concern. I also had to give a name when I registered transfer of her microchip - and the background on the name, particularly the Algonquian reference, resonated, so Meeko she shall remain.

      Delete
  9. She is very cute! I hope you both find happy new companionship together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she learns to love the catio and accepts her litter box there. I need my spouse to be happy too!

      Delete
  10. Welcome to the club, Meeko! I like that it means "Little Mischief." That sounds like a perfect cat name.

    18 echeverias sounds like a lot, but in a garden the size of yours, they'll blend in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeko deserves her name - the more comfortable she gets, the more mischievous she gets! The Echeverias are small and, given how hot it still is, I may just pot them up to start.

      Delete
  11. OH, happy, happy, happy day, a new member of the family! Congratulations--she's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HB! I know you know how important that was to me :)

      Delete
  12. Lovely grey tabby. Welcome to blog land Meeko. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeko is very photogenic so you'll probably see her again, Amelia!

      Delete
  13. So happy you have a new purr-bucket to love! What a pretty girl. She certainly is a long drink of water, isn't she? 😉 I hope you continue to keep us updated on her settling in. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeko's size made me think she was older that she is - she really is still a kitten. She hasn't adapted to the catio as well as I'd hoped (yet). She's usually happy enough to be there if I'm there but she cries (or leaves if she can) when I'm not and she's very frightened of loud noises in the neighborhood.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.