Monday, August 5, 2024

In a Vase on Monday: Catching Fire

Our marine layer is gone and our midday temperatures moved into the low 90sF this past weekend.  That's not too bad, at least by comparison to our inland valleys.  The forecast for the coming week predicts increased cloud cover for our area and lower temperatures, which would be nice if it's correct.  I've become increasingly wary of putting trust in those projections.

I cut flowers for IAVOM early Sunday morning, ducking back inside before it got toasty.  After taking ten doses of Paxlovid over a five-day period and subsequently testing negative for COVID, I experienced the medication's infamous rebound effect on Friday when my symptoms returned and I tested positive for COVID again.  I'm feeling slightly better now but I'm also making a greater effort to rest and let my system recover.

The title of today's post reflects the 'Catching Fire' Dahlias I used as the centerpiece of today's first arrangement.

Most of the dahlias I've cut thus far have had relatively short stems because I've been reluctant to sacrifice too many of the side buds this early in the season.  I chose this irregularly-shaped crystal vase to show off the short dahlia stems in front, stacking materials with longer stems behind them.

Back view

Top view: The Zinnia in the middle started off with white petals at first before turning the pinkish color shown here.  Based on my record, it can only be either 'Zinderella Lilac' or a member of the 'Precious Metals' mix, still in an early stage of development.

Clockwise from the upper left: Crassula pubescens ssp radicans, Dahlia 'Catching Fire', Leptospermum 'Copper Glow', Pandorea jasminoides, and the mystery Zinnia.


My second arrangement makes use of the Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum) in my back garden, which I've noticed have withered quite a bit since I returned from my tour of gardens in the Puget Sound.  The flowers deserve some time in the limelight before they're gone.

The blue Lisianthus is the closest thing to a blue rose that I expect I'll ever see.  I'd originally planned to pair it with Agapanthus but the few I have left are more true blue than purple in color so I sought out the few white flowers I have at the moment.

Back view

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia grandiflora 'Hopley's Variegated', Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt', Achillea ptarmica, blue Eustoma grandiflorum, Nemesia hybrid 'Sunglow Bicolor', noID Scaevola, Tanacetum parthenium, and white Eustoma grandiflorum


I can only hope that the Lisianthus may spring back and surprise me with another flush of bloom as they've done in years past but, given the increasingly hotter and drier conditions in my garden in recent years, that may be unrealistic.  Meanwhile the dahlias are doing well in my cutting garden with regular watering and I'm counting on them to continue to deliver blooms into October.


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.




All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


24 comments:

  1. I love the blue of the Lisianthus! Beautiful combinations, too. We've had some crazy humid, hot days lately. While HIGH 80s aren't as warm as 90s (which we often have this time of year), the humidity has been off the charts. Ugh. Anyway, I'm glad we both have more comfortable weather in the forecast. Sorry about the resurgence of COVID. I hope you'll feel much better in the days ahead. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Southern California, famous for its "dry heat," we seem to be getting more elevated humidity here too, although my guess is that we can't match you there, Beth. As to the "lower" temperatures in the forecast, my suspicions proved valid as we're back in the 90sF again today with nary a cloud in the sky...Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  2. The blue of the lisianthus is incredible. I say the only thing wrong with short stemmed flowers in the size of the vase:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lisianthus are beautiful, even as they're slowly getting incinerated by the heat that was supposed to abate ;) You make a good point about vase size!

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about your Covid Kris - people in the Uk who have had it this summer has said it is far worse than when they had it before. Is it the same in the US? I really like the asymmetrical nature of your first vase but then got distracted by the blue eustoma in the second one! I noticed too late that Lidl were due to have some small pots of eustoma - I don't think I have seen it available in the UK before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first-ever bout with Covid so I can't personally assess the differences compared to earlier variants; however, the Los Angeles Times recent articles (now appearing almost daily on the front page) suggest that the newest variants collectively called FLiRT are noticeably more transmissible. People are claiming worse experiences, including sore throats that feel like swallowing cut glass or razor blades, which is how I felt at the worst stage.

      The blue Eustoma is always an attention-grabber, isn't it?!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear it's back. :( Take care! Sleep, rest, sleep. Lounge as needed.

    The Crassula, Leptospermum and Zinnia make an elegant muted trio.

    My 'Catching Fire' Dahlia did not come back from last year. It was never vigorous, but is missed nonetheless.

    The Lisianthus, such a delicious purple blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took divisions of the 'Catching Fire' Dahlia I grew last year. I gave one away but potted up 2 of the tubers for myself, both of which sprouted and appear ready to provide me a nice showing this year. When I dig the plants up and divide the tubers again to store them for the winter season, I'll put one or two aside for you for next year, assuming they look good.

      Delete
  5. Oh jeez Kris, so sorry about your relapse ! Last year it was the gophers that got to my Dahlias and this year 2 out of 3 from one of my usual mail order places were not the variety I ordered. I have yet to cut any , but I have a ton of Zinnias so they make up the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of errors from bulb growers/sellers since the pandemic and suspect that the industry, like so many, lost many of their more experienced employees during those dark days of closures, furloughs and layoffs. I hope you find at least some pleasure in the mislabeled dahlias you received. When a gopher surfaced in my cutting garden this year I nearly went berserk but the raised planters that came with the garden must be lined with wood or other material as it seems to have stopped tunneling when it reached the first planter's foundation so I dodged a disaster there, at least for the time being.

      Delete
  6. Oh yuck, I'm sorry about the covid rebound. I hope you are nearing the end of that crud. Your arrangements this week are as lovely as ever. I love lisianthus, they seem to perform differently every year in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tested negative for Covid this morning, although my husband claims to see a very, very faint line in the Covid column. In any case, I'll test again in 2 days and, assuming it comes back negative, I'll consider myself done with this episode.

      The Lisianthus were more reliable in my garden in the past but then I used more water in those days too...

      Delete
  7. Beautiful blooms Kris, but I am sorry to hear you're still suffering. Does this mean you're still living in a divided household?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the household is still divided into 2 parts, something we're both finding increasingly frustrating. I'm feeling better and I tested negative for Covid this morning, although my husband (with better eyesight since his cataract surgery) contends he can see a very faint line in the Covid column. In any case, I need a second test 2 days out to ensure I'm really clear this time...

      Delete
  8. Wonderful Lisianthus! Sorry about the COVID. We had it last year caught when hubs was in hospital.so aggravated still. Mostly fatigue for me, hope you feel better soon. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dodged Covid for over 4 years - I guess my luck couldn't hold forever! I'm sorry you and your husband had to deal with Covid when you had other issues on your plate, Amelia.

      Delete
  9. Made for each other! I love the different foliage and that purple, wow! Hopw you will be recovered by next week. https://zonethreegardenlife.blog/2024/08/05/in-a-vase-monday-august-5th/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the first time in 2 weeks, I think I may actually be on the mend, Jenny!

      Delete
  10. Oh I am sorry to read that you've been laid low by Covid Kris and wish you well as you recover. Beautiful vases as always. The second one must be so cooling for you to look at during your spell of hot weather. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna. I feel as though I'm turning the corner now :)

      Delete
  11. Keep cool.....love both vases but the drama in that first one is ohhh so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Crassula really elevated the first arrangement I think, Donna. It was a last minute addition.

      Delete
  12. The Eustoma is so beautiful Kris! Definitely like a rose, and such a gorgeous colour. I love that pale pink Zinnia in the first vase too. I do hope you are starting to feel better now Kris. Take it slowly and look after yourself!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.