Friday, February 23, 2024

Making a start

I've been planning to renovate the succulent bed in front of our garage since last year but other priorities kept getting in the way.  Weather has been the latest issue but I decided I needed to at least make a start so I did just that this week.

The bed in question has been an issue for me for years now.  In 2016, after we removed the sod that originally covered most of the area in front of the garage, including the area later designated as a succulent bed, I added only a small number of succulent cuttings around the Agave attenuata that came with the garden.  I didn't formally plant the area with a variety of succulents until September 2017.  I've tweaked the succulent mix at regular intervals but these never made the difference I was looking for.  I think it actually looked its best back in 2018.

This photo was taken in April 2018.  I note that I had a small Leucadendron in the mix at that time, as well a 'Blue Flame' Agave.  I don't specifically recall my decision to remove them but I suspect I was concerned that both would get too big for their spots.

 

This is what the bed looked like earlier this week before I started pulling it apart.

There were already a large number of empty spots I hadn't bothered to fill as I'd been planning a wholesale renovation for some time.  You may also recall that the large clump of Agave attenuata had been reduced by nearly half back in October when the agaves were badly damaged after being covered by a plastic tarp during our annual tree trimming exercise.


The plants in that bed have never fleshed out or filled in as my other succulents beds have done.  Part of the problem may be starting with relatively small plants but I think I've also erred in failing to mix in some softer plants to blur the edges as I've done with all of my other succulent beds.

While this south-side bed is dominated by succulents, it also includes plants like Hymenolepsis parviflors, Leucadendron 'Summer Red', Metrosideros 'Springfire', Salvia clevelandii, and Vitex trifolia

View of the same bed from the other direction

The street-side succulent bed is mostly succulents but its backed by a leafy green hedge of Xylosma congestum

This bed running the length of the lower portion of the back slope is about half succulents, sharing space with an Arctostaphylos, artichokes, creeping LantanaAbelia 'Chiapas', Ribes viburnifolium, and rosemary



So I'm convinced of the value of adding some softer plants to the bed currently slated for an overhaul; however, I'm also concerned that the soil in that area doesn't drain as well as most areas of my garden.  I've collected more rocks and I'm planning to give the plants better drainage by raising the soil level using succulent-friendly amendments.  Thus far, I've  pulled the plants I've decided I don't want to keep and and potted up half of what I want to hold onto.


This photo shows how much I've already cleared.  I plan to leave the clump of Agave attenuata as it is and probably the bromeliad on the left (in front of the pot) as well.  I'm still debating removal of the woody Abelia grandiflora on the far left.

These succulents are slated for a giveaway

I've held onto these to be replanted either in the renovated bed or elsewhere

These are some of the plants I'm considering adding to the renovated bed: A noID Aloe I got from one neighbor, a bulbil of what may an Agave parryi I received from another neighbor, an Aloe cameronii I got from a blogger friend, and one or more Drimia maritima bulbs from my back slope 



There's another storm on the horizon.  Before it arrives, I hope to dig up the other plants I want to keep and get them into pots.  Time permitting, I'll also move the existing rock out of the way.  I'm holding off on a delivery of a truckload of soil until there's a decent break in the rainstorms that gives me adequate time to move the soil out of the driveway when they drop it off.  Then I need to decide whether more rocks are required before I go plant shopping.  I'm guessing I may not be done with this project until sometime in April. 

Best wishes for a good weekend, whatever conditions the weather in your area delivers.  I'll send you off for the weekend with few new spring flowers.

Anemone coronaria 'Rosa Tigrato'

Hippeastrum 'Emerald' and H. 'Evergreen'



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party



20 comments:

  1. This is exciting, I can't wait to see the 'after'. Although frankly, it didn't look bad before. This is such a great time to plant with the mild and rainy weather. How much soil are you getting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I've order topsoil in the past, I've gotten 3 cubic yards but I probably can't use even half of that for this project. My husband (the scientist) said he'll calculate what I need based on the size of the area, which - based on the delivery cost - may have us taking his truck out to pick up gobs of the bagged stuff. I just looked at my last bill from the company we've used in the past and I noticed that, even with 3 cubic yards of top quality topsoil, more than half the cost was the delivery charge :(

      Delete
  2. After reading about you dissatisfaction with this particular bed for a long time, I'm glad to see renovation is underway. Because no matter how lovely I think it looked, it seems to annoy you greatly. So, Hallelujah for getting started. I expect this will be one of the biggest - and definitely the most rewarding - garden project this year.
    We don't often get a total redo in an established garden. Are there parks or botanical gardens you draw inspiration from?
    I hope the tree trimmers will be extra carful on their next visit to your garden.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local botanic garden's cactus and succulent area is far from inspiring. On the other hand, places like The Huntington and The Getty garden on a scale I can't even conceive of. I get more inspiration from blogs like 'Succulents and More', 'Piece of Eden', and 'danger garden'.

      Re the tree trimming catastrophe, I've saved photos of the damage to my agaves on my phone to share with the service's owner and staff on their next visit!

      Delete
  3. I admire your vision and your energy! Love all these photos. The anemone is a lovely, unusual color. I don't imagine you've ever had to deal with such rainy weather like this before. We are having a much-appreciated day of rain today but it's already feeling dreary. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year, we got even more rain than we've had thus far this year (almost 24 inches!), although I don't remember so much of it coming in the form of the intense atmospheric rivers we've had lately. Rain was also stretched out to a greater extent, starting earlier and continuing beyond our regular "rainy season." We were warning ourselves that this year wouldn't likely be a repeat but, at this point, we've done well, at least making it to our "normal" average - and there's about 6 weeks left to the season.

      Delete
  4. Looks like an area with a lot of potential. Lovely Arbutus(?). Will be interesting to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is one of our 4 Arbutus 'Marina' and a stunner with no help from me. Hopefully, this renovation will be the ticket with a mix that complements the tree while also screening some of the view of the neighbor's driveway.

      Delete
  5. Before I read that it is what you have decided to do, I was going to suggest building up the height of the garden and adding rocks ... great minds! That is exactly what I have done in several areas of my garden, where the drainage hasn't been ideal even where the garden is on a slope. I have found that building up sloping areas and retaining enough soil for the plants by surrounding them with rocks is a great solution. The added bonus is that it also adds character to the garden. I look forward to seeing the progress you make with this garden, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sadly the soil I added originally was far too little to make a significant difference. Time to start over!

      Delete
  6. What a tricky spot. I look forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spot is also shadier than would be ideal but, as the nearby trees are pruned on a regular basis, I'm hopeful that the plants I install this time will be happy with the sun they get.

      Delete
  7. Che bel lavoro! A volte bisogna proprio rinnovare, soprattutto perché il resto del giardino è splendido. Spero tu sia riuscita a completare prima della tempesta. Qui nel sul della Svizzera le temperature sono scese di 10 gradi e abbiamo pioggia e neve per i prossimi giorni. Un tempo schifoso.

    Seguiamo i tuoi lavori sull'aiuola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished most of what I wanted to do in pulling that succulent bed apart, Gabriel. The next step is to bring in more soil to improve drainage. I may also need to get more rocks. The storm that was expected to arrive today or tomorrow may not show up at all but there is another one due later this week so I probably will not get back to work on the bed for 2-3 weeks.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes the most difficult step is taking that first one. After that, the momentum sort of builds until it's finished. Aloe cameronii is a very nice species - I like the orangy leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using Aloes cameronii and 'Rooikappie' I'm thinking of running an orange swath through the new bed when I put it back together, Jerry. Orange aloes and blue agaves could make a nice mix, backed up by some softer elements.

      Delete
  9. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product... although a garden is never finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Nikki. In my experience, beds I've designed often reach a peak that satisfies my original intent, only to slowly descend into something less pleasing that I then decide I have to renovate ;)

      Delete
  10. Overhauling a bed is exciting, better than rearranging furniture! Looking forward to seeing the results. :) Eliza

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.