Wednesday, February 14, 2024

New plants and garden chores

Happy Valentine's Day!

I took advantage of a week of dry weather and sunny skies to tackle a few garden chores. The first involved finishing up the job that resulted from removal of a battered and over-sized 'Blue Flame' Agave in my south-side garden. When I published my post on the project, I'd already cleaned up the area, added soil suitable for succulents, and planted cuttings of blue chalksticks (Senecio serpens). I finished replanting the area this week.
I added a few more Senecio cuttings, a mix of Aeoniums, and an Agave ovatifolia that I'd purchased in a 4-inch pot several months ago and potted up in a 1-gallon container.  As you can see, the agave's still very small.  I've left a relatively wide path, partly to accommodate the agave's eventual size but also to facilitate maintenance.

All 4 Aeonium varieties in one shot.  They're growing alongside an Acanthus mollis (left) that appears during our rainy season, then disappears during the hot summer months.  As the Aeoniums fill out, I hope they'll hide the empty space during the summer season.

Top left: Aeonium 'Dark Star', branching variety that grows 2 feet tall and wide
Top right: Aeonium 'Jack Catlin', develops low-growing clumps with green centers and burgundy edges
Bottom right: green Aeonium 'Jack Catlin', needs sun to develop those red edges
Bottom middle: Aeonium 'Octo Ink', which sports a singular tall black rosette 1-2 feet in size
Bottom left: Aeonium 'Velour', branching variety with green centers and purple edges on lower leaves
*'Dark Star' and 'Octo Ink' are Steve Super hybrids.  The others are cuttings from my garden.



I received delivery of eight plants I'd ordered by mail prior to the rainstorms and got all of those into the ground.

My order from Annie's Annuals & Perennials arrived Friday afternoon

Clockwise from the left, all 8 plants have landed space in my garden: 2 more Arctotis 'Large Marge' have joined 3 mature plants in my back garden; groundcover Centradenia floribunda (aka Spanish Shawl) sits in a bare area of my front garden behind my new Protea "Claire'; Graptopetalum paraguayense 'Pinky' sits in a mixed bed near the driveway;  Helleborus orientalis 'True Love' is a splurge that joins other hellebores in a shady area of the front garden; and 3 Papaver hybridum 'Lauren's Grape' found spots in the cutting garden



And yesterday I tackled pruning of a large shrub, one that wasn't on my original project list.

The shrub in question, Grevillea lavandulacea 'Penola' is barely visible in this shot taken from inside the house during a rainstorm last week

This long shot, which I think was also taken from inside the house during that rainstorm, provides only a nominally better view.  I circled part of it just to make it more obvious.  With its gray foliage and tiny red and white flowers, it's hard to make out at a distance, especially against a gray fence.

But, close up, its lovely flowers are densely packed along most of its branches

Sadly, I positioned it poorly, thinking I could espalier it along the fence.  I've regularly tied it to supports attached to the fence, only to have it break away.  The long branches were stretching into the path that leads down the back slope.  I didn't take a before photo but I cut back or removed many of the branches that blocked the ease of movement down that concrete block stairway.  I reduced the size of the plant by more than 25% and tied the largest remaining branches into the supports using plastic-covered wire.  Whether this latest effort to manage the shrub this way will be successful is yet to be determined.



More rain is on the horizon.  There are two more back-to-back atmospheric rivers currently forecast to show up Saturday and continue into Tuesday.  We got off easy with the earlier storms, ending up with only a chimney leak and relatively minor damage to my lath (shade) house; however, others in California didn't fare nearly as well.  Over four hundred mudslides were reported, as well as nine deaths.  As the ground hasn't had much time to dry out we can only hope that those in the most vulnerable areas will be better prepared this time.


Note: I hope to publish my Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day post on Friday, February 16th.



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


12 comments:

  1. Busy, busy! Good for you! I hope the rain won't be as drenching and damaging for the area as last time. That photo of your garden from inside the house is luscious. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 2.5 inches of rain is projected for our location but I'm more concerned about the areas that were more severely damaged in the earlier storms. Would you believe that photo of the north-side garden was taken from our master bathroom?!

      Delete
  2. I love this Grevillea, especially after seeing it in your vase on Monday. I hope your pruning helps, for a while at least.
    From all your new plant order arrivals, I'm partial to the Hellebore, as I grow 21 different ones in my own garden: I fell hard under their charm.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 21 hellebores, Chavli! Actually, I'd have a lot more here too if they bloomed more reliably for me. 'Anna's Red' and 'Phoebe' are the only ones I've been able to count on this far.

      Delete
  3. At least you are able to squeeze in tasks between 'river' events. You are having a crazy season. Does all this rain alleviate some of the stresses on the reservoirs in the area? Last year they were so critically low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that the reservoirs actually did well last year during the winter-spring period when we had especially heavy rain after years of pitiful shortages; however, groundwater in many areas remained at record lows and many people no longer have access to well water. I haven't heard anything on the current status of the reservoirs but I expect they're filling up again since these atmospheric rivers have flowed in. The big issue on the mind of the people responsible for managing our water supply seems to be the "snow drought" we're still facing. With climate change, most of our precipitation is coming in the form of rain rather than snow and during the summer months, snow melt from the mountain areas is essential. What snow we do get is also melting faster due to warmer temperatures and gets lost.

      Delete
  4. Your new plants look so small and delicate at this stage, always hard for me to imagine them taking off and filling in. I seem to always underestimate how large or unwieldly things will get and end up with situations like your Grevillea. Sobering news on the snowpack. When we were in Patagonia back in December, we got to see firsthand how much the glaciers have receded in the space of a few short years. I see the same situation up here in Oregon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had second thoughts about planting a relatively tiny Agave ovatifolia in that spot, Jerry. For reasons I don't understand, that particular agave is very hard to find in any size here so I decided to live with its growing pains. The situation with the rapidity of melt at the poles and in nearby areas (including Alaska) is heart-breaking. I think there should be a special place in hell for climate change deniers.

      Delete
  5. The Grevillea is quite pretty, I hope your pruning pays off! I see your Annie's order- in a few weeks time with this rain those will be nice & big. Our rain keeps getting delayed, wonder what it's doing there? *We're sunny right now at 9am, 2p is when the showers are to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the rain's been pushed out awhile here too, Tracy. It currently looks like there's a chance of a little rain prior to midnight tonight but Monday and Tuesday look more likely. It appears we'll get less than 2 inches in total, yet I see a prospect of another rainstorm on the horizon next Sunday and Monday.

      Delete
  6. Plants from Annie's Annuals - I recognize those plant tags from a distance!

    You never seem to run out of aeonium cuttings. I think you have more aeoniums than anybody else I know - which makes sense, considering your climate it perfect for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved here 13 years ago and a friend handed me 3 small Aeoniums, little did I realize how they and their cousins would spread in this garden. They've taken over entire areas!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.