Friday, February 16, 2024

Bloom Day - February 2024 (Late Edition)

In my coastal Southern California climate, we generally see the early signs of spring by mid-February.  This year is no exception, although colder-than-usual temperatures and a late start to our rainy season has the floral stampede lagging behind last year's display.  Nonetheless, I expect I'm still giving gardeners in much of the Northern Hemisphere a run for their blooms.

I've assigned starring roles to half a dozen plants.  Keep in mind that this award is governed by a jury of one.

My blue Anemone coronaria make me happy whenever I pass them in my cutting garden.  They've been producing flowers continuously for more than a month now.  I've been cutting them for vases every week, even when I don't share them as part of the "In a Vase on Monday" meme.

The 4 Arbutus 'Marina' trees lost all their blooms when they were pruned in late October.  The flowers reappeared en masse with the recent rainstorms. 

I love the foliage of Aeonium arboreum but I'm not entirely fond of the succulent's dunce-cap shaped, florescent yellow flowers; however, they're prolific and the bees love them

The sulfur yellow flowers of Euphorbia rigida stand out beautifully against the bluish succulents in my garden

Similarly, Euryops chrysanthemoides 'Sonnenschein' adds a sunny element to the shady area outside the lath house

Felicia aethiopica is still going strong.  I'd always assumed that these would make poor cut flowers but I learned they do quite well in a vase, which makes me love the small shrubs even more.



New blooms are showing up almost daily.  Here are some of the newest arrivals:

The flowers of Ceanothus arboreus 'Cliff Schmidt' are mostly congregated at the top of the tree-sized plant, which made it awkward to photograph.  The bees don't care.

I'm amazed every year when Daphne odora blooms as I never thought it'd survive in my garden.  My only concern is that something always nibbles at the leaves.
Clockwise from the upper left, other new arrivals include: Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', Calliandra haematocephala (aka red powder puff), the first Freesia, Centranthus ruber, Ipheon uniflorum (aka spring star), Pyrethropsis hosmariense (aka Moroccan daisy), and the second Freesia to bloom




Even I was surprised by a few particularly early arrivals.

The first sweet pea blooms (possibly part of Lathyrus odoratus 'Mermaid's Dream' seed mix), first Leucospermum 'Sunrise' flower, and first Sparaxis tricolor bloom



As usual, the backbones of my garden have shown up.

The flowers of Grevillea sericea are small and pale in color but they're currently abundant

Grevillea 'Scarlet Sprite' produces more flowers every day

Clockwise from the upper left, other Grevilleas currently in bloom include: Grevillea alpina x rosmarinus, G. 'Peaches & Cream', G. 'Superb', G. rosmarinus (dwarf form), and G. lavandulacea 'Penola'

I'm still not quite ready to cut back the massive Leucadendron salignum 'Chief'

Leucadendrons 'Summer' Red' and 'Safari Sunset' also look too good to cut back yet

I've begun to cut back Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder' already and will probably finish the job before the month is over

The Osteospermums are still taking their time to flesh out.  I expect some of the small shrubs could use replacing but there isn't a good selection of the double-petaled varieties I like best yet.

Camellia williamsii 'Taylor's Perfection' dropped a lot of flowers during the earlier rainstorms but it hasn't thrown in the towel yet



What's missing from this post by comparison to last February's bloom report are the Hippeastrums.  I've cut half a dozen stems since January. I've got plenty of buds left but only one plant currently has a bloom.  I'll be moving all of those in pots under cover before the next storm arrives on Sunday.

Hippeastrum 'Evergreen', a Cybister type originally hybridized in South America



As always, I've assembled photos of flowers with lower profiles as part of collages organized by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: Aloe striata x maculata, Antirrhinum majus, Cuphea 'Honeybells', noID orange Gazania, Lobelia laxiflora, and Metrosideros collina 'Springfire'

Clockwise from upper left: Argyranthemum 'Angelic Maize', noID Narcissus, Gaillardia 'Spintop Copper Sun', Gazania 'Gold Flame', noID yellow Gazania, and Senna artemisioides (aka feathery cassia)

Antirrhinum majus, Fuchsia 'Windchimes White', and Nemesia 'Nessie Plus White'

Top row: Antirrhinum majus, Arctostaphylos bakeri 'Louis Edmunds', and Arctotis 'Opera Pink'
Middle: Bauhinia x blackeana (aka Hong Kong orchid tree), Boronia crenulata 'Shark Bay', and Coleonema pulchellum 'Sunset Gold'
Bottom: Cuphea 'Starfire Pink', Hebe 'Wiri Blush', and noID Kalanchoe (maybe K. fedtschenkoi)

Clockwise from the upper left: Argyranthemum 'Grandaisy Red', Helleborus 'Anna's Red', magenta Pericallis hybrid, and Ribes viburnifolium (aka Catalina currant)

Top row: Delphinium grandiflorum, Echium handiense, and Geranium 'Tiny Monster'
Middle: Lavandula multifida, Limonium perezii, and Pericallis hybrid
Bottom: Polygala myrtifolia, Salvia rosmarinus (aka rosemary), and Viola cornuta 'Penny Peach'



That's it from me for this month's bloom day coverage.  Two more atmospheric rivers are due to arrive back-to-back this weekend.  Those may leave me with soggy flowers once again, or spur other plants to burst into bloom.  We shall see.  Best wishes for a pleasant weekend and, if you haven't already done so, check in with Carol at May Dreams Gardens for more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts.


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party







 

25 comments:

  1. I smiled at what you count as "early signs of spring by mid-February". Compared with your plethora of flowers, my mid February blooms consist of a mahonia shrub, (hummingbirds magnet), and a few of early hellebores... Additional "signs" consist of Bleeding Heart and Brunnera that are only starting to emerge...
    Your Anemone coronaria is magnificent. I'm also charmed by the cute red powder puff bloom. The feathery cassia is lovely: do ever use it in a vase?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to grow both bleeding heart and Brunnera with zero success, Chavli. I've occasionally used the Senna artemisioides in cut arrangements but, in this case, I generally prefer to leave that feathery foliage it in the garden. I could probably use a second Senna, planted in a more open area - my existing plant is squeezed between a Grevillea and a Leucspermum.

      Delete
  2. You have great success with Felicia, I don't. I have great success wih 'Rozanne', you don't. It seems to all balance out after a while! :)

    That said, here 'Rozanne' is candy for rabbits--do you have those? They were eating 'Rozanne' to the ground, over and over, until I fenced all the gates.

    Those Aeoniums are so gorgeous. Sigh.

    Your comment about your beautiful 'Cliff Schmidt' make me think if I plant one down in the gully between a 'Springfire' and 'Icee Blue', I'd have a show of orange and blue at this time of year from up above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drat. I meant "Anemones" not Aeoniums, sorry! --hb

      Delete
    2. Ha! Whatever we think of Aeonium flowers, I doubt either of us would call them "gorgeous"!

      I do have rabbits (a coyote took out one in my front garden earlier this week leaving a gruesome scene). I'm still tempted to try Geranium 'Rozanne' again in a different spot as I adored that plant. Ceanothus 'Cliff Schmidt is a lovely and reliable plant and it'd look great with your 'Icee Blue', although it only flowers for about 2 months.

      Delete
  3. Oh, the anemones! I love that you have such a plethora of blooms you have to organize by color. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love anemones, even if they're not dependable about coming back here. For some reason, the blue anemones arrive earlier and are more vigorous than the other varieties in my garden.

      Delete
  4. The garden looks like it is full Spring bloom. Food for the soul as I am in serious Spring mode even though we have at least two months of cold weather left. A local greenhouse used to bring in Felicia standards but since it closed have not seen it since. Time to make it popular again as it's a great plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Felicia is a variety sold by Annie's Annuals & Perennials as 'Tidy and Tidy'. It's low-growing but very tough, at least in my garden.

      Delete
  5. The Anemones are beautiful, aren't they? And of course I love the Leucadendrons. I wish I could grow them here. All the plants are fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I don't know how I gardened here before I found Leucadendrons. Like Grevilleas, they're made for my climate even if they're not native plants.

      Delete
  6. This is balm for my flower starved winter eyes. I only am familiar with a handful of your plants so it was even more pleasurable. I love the blue purple of the anemones. I've never seen pink cuphea, but I grow them as an annual to make our hummingbirds (they arrive in May and leave in early September) happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hummingbirds like the 'Starfire Pink' Cuphea too, Alana! We're lucky that Cupheas are perennial shrubs here :)

      Delete
  7. I love that you organize such beautiful flowers by color. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the color collages, my posts would be interminably long ;)

      Delete
  8. The blue anemone is so pretty. I also like the Osteospermums today! As always, Pink Sugar is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you when the first blooms of Arctotis 'Pink Sugar' appear, Lisa ;)

      Delete
  9. Mind-bending to see early spring flowers (like the Narcissus) blooming with late season flowers for us (like Lobelia laxiflora).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my former neighbors dubbed Lobelia laxiflora a weed, Jerry. It is inclined to spread here but thus far I've managed to keep it under control.

      Delete
    2. My has been in the ground for a dozen years and has made a lovely 3 foot diameter clump. The key to control in our yard seems to be not watering it at all during the summer.

      Delete
  10. Looks like a flowery dream living in the coastal southern California area. Your rush of February flowers is amazing. Very Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern California has its advantages as long as you manage to sidestep wildfires, mudslides, and earthquakes. Yvonne.

      Delete
  11. So many flowers! I'm partial to the new arrivals section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those early arrivals signify the start of a delicious spring, Loree!

      Delete
  12. So many beautiful blooms, a delight for my winter weary soul. :) Thanks for sharing them, Kris. ~Eliza

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.