Friday, February 9, 2024

Aloes in bloom - South Coast Botanic Garden in early February

I took advantage of the one day break between our first and second atmospheric rivers last Friday to visit South Coast Botanic Garden, which is about five miles from my home as the crow flies.  It was mostly sunny, although not at all warm, but I wanted to check out the garden's aloe collection while the majority of the plants were still in bloom.

As if offering an advertisement, there was a large aloe in full bloom at the entrance to the garden

I had to guess at some plant IDs, as many labels seemed to be missing.  I think these are Aloe cameronii.

Aloe 'David Verity'

Aloe 'Erik the Red'

This one had a label that said "Aloe hybrid"

I couldn't ID this one and my phone's ID function wasn't helpful

Aloe petricola

Aloe vanbalenii


The garden as a whole wasn't especially colorful at this time of year but that doesn't mean there weren't flowers here and there.

These 2 ornamental cherry trees (Prunus campanulata hybrids) are blooming

Narcissi, mostly paperwhites, were in full bloom in the meadow area adjacent to the amphitheater.  The circular paved area is new, at least to me. 

This coral tree (Erythrina caffra) was just coming into bloom

Miscellaneous flowers, top row: Acacia podalyrifolia, Brugmansia, and Chasmanthe
Middle: Euryops, Kalanchoe fedtschenkoi, and Magnolia doltsopa
Bottom: Melianthus major, Rotheca myricoides, and Salvia 'Amistad'
(All IDs are best guesses)

The not-so-elegant but pleasantly warm tropical greenhouse contained a noID Billbergia and several Phalaenopsis orchids

There were a few tiny yellow flowers on this plant but what stood out was the foliage.  My guess is that this is Senna artemisioides.  I have one that doesn't look this good, probably because it's overcrowded.  I need to move it.


I didn't walk the entire eighty-seven acres of the garden this time.  Even approaching noon, it was still cold and the wind was picking up but I strolled through a couple of other areas.

I miss the garden's lake, which was drained years ago when its rubber liner broke down.  There have been discussions off and on about bringing it back in a manner that'll accommodate storm flows.  Meanwhile, the first atmospheric river left behind plenty of mini-lakes, including some visible through the fenced area undergoing construction of the new children's garden (lower right).  It's supposed to open sometime this year but I didn't see the progress I'd anticipated.

I walked by the area adjacent to the upper meadow and across the road from the rose garden and was startled to realize that the entire area to the right of the corner bed occupied by a palm tree and agaves had been replanted as shown in the 4 boxes on the right.  I spotted succulents (including additional blue chalksticks and various Opuntias), grasses, Leucadendrons, and some Salvia leucantha.  

For as long as I can remember, much of that area was a mass of Salvia leucantha (aka Mexican bush sage), as shown in this photo taken last September.  The new planting also stretches into a portion of what was the Mediterranean Garden (with the rest of that area now behind the construction fence).


I expect I'll wait another couple of months for spring's arrival to visit again.  Between the rain and the disruption caused by the ongoing construction project and removal of both the Troll and Astra Lumina exhibits, the garden's flow was awkward.  It's always a nice place to walk, if just for exercise, but I found myself backtracking each time I met a construction impasse or another lake-sized puddle.

At present there's a projected forty-eight percent chance of rain next Friday/Saturday.  Our rain year total to date is 12.51 inches so it's looking likely we're going to have "normal" rainfall this year after all, if not a bounty.  As we await the next storm, I hope to get some planting done (once we dry out just a little).


All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


14 comments:

  1. The vibrant red blooms of A. 'Erik the Red' always thrills me, although A. 'David Verity' has more overall appeal of form and leaf color: its blooms are an extra bonus.
    An Erythrina in full bloom is a sentimental childhood memory and a sight to behold.
    It's hard to evaluate the replacement of Mexican bush sage now, when it's still early days. I hope plant-choice and design will prove to be winners. Since it's a favorite walking destination, we can count on future progress reports.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I almost always plant small specimens myself, I admit to being disappointed to seeing such large areas covered in more mulch than plants - but they'll grow. Over the last few years, the garden has shown definite signs of pivoting in the direction of more succulents and other drought-tolerant plants. That's evident in both of the newly planted areas I observed. I was pleased to see Leucadendrons, which I can't recall previously seeing at SCBG. According to one of their newsletters they've also introduced new Grevilleas, which I neglected to hunt down during this visit.

      Delete
  2. That's a nice excursion that was close to home. A. 'Erik the Red' is so vibrant, it looks like paint. I swear I have a small one somewhere in the garden, I need to go looking for it lol. Yay for rain and planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to forget what you have when the plants are small, at least until they bloom!

      Delete
  3. I love the colors of Aloe 'David Verity', it might be the only aloe bloom I can actually recognize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ability to recognize aloes is mostly limited to plants I have in my own garden but 'David Verity' is very recognizable. It complicates things that, like agaves, there are SO many hybrids out there.

      Delete
  4. Sure is convenient for you. Now if they would just improve it... Do I have more Aloes than they do?

    I did a few little things in the garden--small things I could standing on pavement so I don't mis-step and fall again, like picking old leaves off roses, just to be outside. Soil actually wet, and it's cold today! 58F!

    Maybe the weekend will be sunnier. Have a great weekend, Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Gerhard may have a wider range of varieties than they do, although the number of their individual plants may be greater ;) As I recall, the original Desert Garden was short on aloes - I can only remember clumps of Aloe arborescens there. However, some years ago, they expanded into a large area across the tram road, planting mostly aloes of different kinds. With the exception of a massive display of Aloe vanbalenii and what I believe is a hybrid of of that species, the rest are widely spaced. I expected them to do some landscaping using rocks and other plants and succulents to showcase them but that hasn't happened. Meanwhile, a lot of earth moving and money is going into the children's garden but I haven't seen any evidence of actual building going on yet and it looks like they may have drainage issues.

      Delete
  5. I would definitely be growing aloes if I lived down there. Erik the Red is a real stunner, but I would happily grow any and all of the aloes featured in your post. One or two of the little aloes I have in the greenhouse at work are blooming now too, which makes me think they bloom in response to daylength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aloes seem to bloom on a staggered schedule, some starting in the fall and others in winter. Just to be contrary, Aloe 'Rooikappie' blooms off and on throughout the year ;)

      Delete
  6. So good to see these colorful photos! Your climate is perfect for aloes. The SCBG should expand their aloe collection. Looks like there's plenty of room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's definitely room to do a lot more with the aloe garden. It seems like something they could do easily, even with the disarray associated with the big construction project.

      Delete
  7. Aren't aloes the most amazing plants when they are in flower? I'm looking forward to the cooler months when my aloes begin to flower again. I moved them closer to the house last year, after they finished flowering, just so I could see them better from my windows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloes are beautiful in bloom, especially when they appear in a season that doesn't offer much in the way of color in the garden. I've favored agaves over aloes in my garden but I'll be trying to strike more of a balance in future years.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.