Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Walking the neighborhood

During the atmospheric rivers that have meandered through Southern California at frequent intervals this month, I've stayed close to home, squeezing any required errands in between rain showers.  Public announcements have encouraged residents to stay home if they can in order to avoid being caught by falling trees or flash floods.  However, I've taken walks through the neighborhood between downpours, snapping photos along the way.  Wrapped in clouds and using my cell phone, many of the photos aren't as clear as I'd like but I'm going to share some of them anyway.

My photo "trail" follows the route I took through my neighborhood.  One of my favorite stops is several houses down the street.  It's fronted by a sloped garden topped by a massive Bougainvillea and peppered with succulents.  I've featured wide shots of it before but only took closeup photos during my recent excursions.

Agave gypsophila, surrounded by Cotyledon and Kalanchoe among other succulents

Shrubs like this Echium handiense are included in the mix here and there.  This Echium has spread over the years via self-seeding.  (I clearly cut back my spent Echium flowers too soon.)


The gardener and I often take our spins around the neighborhood together.  She showed me some other areas of her garden earlier this week before we headed out.

Clockwise from the upper left are Chasmanthe floribunda (aka cobra lily), noID Narcissus, Rosa 'Julia Child', and Streptosolen jamesonii (aka marmalade bush).  I'm on the lookout for both Chasmanthe bulbs, which do better than Crocosmia here, and the Streptosolen shrub.

A large mass of Helleborus foetidus (aka stinking hellebore) in full flower

A vigorous Phlomis purpurea.  Mine, planted from a 4-inch pot in 2020, is only now beginning to gain some girth after I moved it to a better spot in 2021.

One section of a tiered succulent garden at the back of the house,  The gardener is in the process of revamping another tiered area after the neighbor behind them removed a mass of juniper planted along the property line.

A downed agave bloom stalk.  The gardener gave me several bulbils.  She pointed to the agave shown in the foreground on the far right as the parent plant's twin.  I'm guessing it's a variety of Agave parryi.


The house next door was professionally landscaped from scratch in 2022.

The modern garden for a mid-century modern style house has matured, although I still wonder how manageable all that Nasella tenuissima (Mexican feather grass) will be.  I've been slowly removing mine as I identify other options.


As I rounded the circle that makes up our neighborhood, I took photos of another front garden that received an overhaul in stages in 2022 and 2023.

The sharply sloped front garden shown here was covered with a rumpled rug of artificial turf for many years.  In 2022, the owners had the right-hand section of the "rug" removed and planted masses of Agave attenuata, several Crassula ovata, and a couple of Magnolia trees with an edging of junipers along the entire length of the bed.  In 2023, they mirrored that planting scheme on the left side. 


A line of ornamental pear trees decorates the front of another house on the other side of the road.

I took this photo in between 2 back-to-back rainstorms.  As messy as ornamental pears (Pyrus calleryana) can be, these well-manicured specimens always look elegant in early spring.

 

I managed only a few shots on the other side of the neighborhood.

This garden, designed by a former neighbor who's since moved, has always been a favorite of mine but the last 2 owners haven't been as invested in keeping it fresh, although it's tended weekly by a competent gardener.  The steep front garden is terraced.  The Magnolia (maybe 'Black Tulip') and gigantic Leucospermum (maybe 'Sunrise') have just started blooming.

Another home on the other side of the street features this large Roldana petasitis (aka Californian geranium and velvet groundsel).  Native to Mexico, it's reportedly drought resistant despite its large tropical-looking leaves.


On another occasion, I took a brief jaunt up to the entrance of our neighborhood.

The entrance has a gatehouse, a remnant of decades past, but no gate.  It's been planted out over the years with succulents donated by neighbors, including me.  The aloes are blooming now.  The massive Echiums fronting the main road (probably self-seeded) will be blooming in a few months.

I noticed this Aloe cilaris (aka climbing aloe) next to the gatehouse for the first time

These cliffs run along the west side of the neighborhood road

Rhus integrifolia (aka lemonade berry) is one of the native plants growing along the road with other plants, many presumably self-sown

Jade plants (Crassulata ovata) and Yucca grow there too
There are clumps of Agave attenuata studding the edge of the road too, this one accompanied by what I think is a banana plant




That's it for my latest neighborhood garden survey.  Hopefully, I'll get to wander beyond its confines soon.  The current rainstorm is expected to clear out this morning; however, there's yet another round of rain on the horizon, currently projected to arrive late Sunday or Monday.  Our "water year" rain total to date (since October 1st) stands at 15.11 inches!



All material © 2012-2024 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

26 comments:

  1. That was a great spin around your neighborhood. The phlomis, of course, is a standout for me, what a beauty. Nice to see the marmalade bush thriving, which it refused to do for me. I think reflected heat off hardscape might have been an issue. The leaves on the stinking hellebore look a lot like argutifolius -- maybe a cross between the two? Love that velvet groundsel too which I sadly had to pull from my garden -- too big and sprawling but in the right spot a real looker. I wonder if some of these gardens have been picking up your curbside plant donations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right about the identity of the hellebore, Denise - I was guessing at the species. At a minimum, I imagine that my giveaways account for a good number of the 'Sticks on Fire' and Aeoniums in the neighborhood ;)

      Delete
  2. That was great to see what's going on around your neighborhood! Everything is just positively lush with all the rain. The tiered succulent garden your neighbor has is very cool. The modern garden goes with the house, but feels so boring to me. But to each his own, at least there is thought and design there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tiered succulent garden has become my favorite in the neighborhood since the terraced one has been largely left to get by on its own with just general maintenance. When the Bougainvillea is in full "flower," it's spectacular!

      Delete
  3. You are very fortunate to have a neighbor gardening buddy, with an awesome garden to boot. A gorgeous shot of Julia Childs rose, especially considering the downpour you've experienced lately.
    The hellebore in bloom is probably Helleborus argutifolius (Corsican Hellebore) rather than the stinky one, and I only know that because I grow both.
    Thanks for the followup photo of the mid-century modern style house. I remember how bare it was early on; it has certainly filled in, and I guess it's appropriate for the house style and a better choice than lawn, though there is no doubt in my mind that the home owner isn't into gardening.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you (and Denise) are right on the hellebore's identity - I was guessing and I've never grown either H. foetida or H. argutifolius.

      I was wondering how the owners of the mid-century house planned to groom that Mexican feather grass. They were cut down to a couple of inches in height rather than raking it out as I do. The latter is much more time-consuming but I think it does a better job of preserving the shape of the clump year after year.

      Delete
  4. I love a good neighborhood walkabout, thanks for taking us along! What a fabulous speciman that Agave gypsophila is, and I rather love the modern garden at the mid-century house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably like the mid-modern garden better in a softer green rather than that dark gray and black but I do think the garden and the house suit one another.

      Delete
  5. Glad the see the slope had the saggy Astro-turf replaced with plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I! They've installed 5 Magnolia trees, though, which seems like too many in a space that size. I assume they're not M. grandifloras!

      Delete
  6. Great tour, Kris. You have some nice gardens in your 'hood. :)
    15 inches and it's only Feb! What was your total last year? Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 2023 "water year" (calculated from October 1, 2022-September 30, 2023) yielded almost 24 inches of rain, which was extraordinary, Eliza. (The calendar year rain total was just under 22 inches.) Fifteen inches is close to LA's average rainfall. Our rainy season usually ends in early April. If there's any rain between mid-April and late October it's usually the result of a stray tropical storm like the one the blew through California last August as a byproduct of Hurricane Hilary.

      Delete
  7. Great tour. I really want to try that purple phlomis again. I ordered one from Digging Dog a few years ago but it sadly didn't make it. I need to do one of these. I've started walking and there are some beautiful gardens in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purple Phlomis seems slow to get established but my neighbor's plant has encouraged me to be patient. Her plant is fabulous!

      Delete
  8. Hi Kris, I've really enjoyed this tour, thanks so much. So inspiring to see what you plant in your corner of the world. You're definitely surrounded by garden lovers. I wish I could grow all those stunning succulents outside. When I visited Namaqualand I was fascinated by their variety. Always funny to see our own European flora like Helleborus foetidus among your rather exotic plantings. Hope your weather will settle soon. Have a fab weekend, Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've embraced succulents since moving here, Annette. They have a sculptural quality most herbaceous plants can't beat - and they tolerate our drought-prone climate. However, I do love flowers and most succulents don't shine there.

      Delete
  9. Your neighborhood is amazing, Kris. It looks like not too much damage, and the plants are plump and happy with the precipitation. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of houses have had to wrap their chimneys due to leaks as we have but, beyond that, there are few signs of rain-related issues in our immediate area. The exception is one home that sits somewhat below street level, which experienced flooding severe enough that they're installing additional pumps to funnel rainwater upward. Luckily, our home sits well above street level!

      Delete
  10. Neighborhood tourism is fun. You have some interesting plants in your neighborhood.

    The MCM garden has really filled in well--I hazard a guess the owners did not want any tree controversies so they chose a very flat and low design. Agree wholeheartedly muted shades of green would blend in with the landscaping better than the black/grey paint job. Super "trendy" always looks dated very quickly.

    The "banana" might be Strelitzia nicolai, "giant bird of paradise".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't decide whether than was a banana tree or a giant bird of paradise even after looking at photos online, HB. I haven't seen the bird's tell-tale flowers but then maybe the plant isn't mature enough to bloom yet. Both plants are present in other areas of the neighborhood.

      Delete
  11. It's always fun to peak into other's gardens to see what they are up to. Wish you could send some of your rain our way. Weather is beautiful warm and dry. Lovely for us but not for the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that you're still so dry, Elaine. I fully understand how much worry gardeners feel in the middle of an extended drought.

      Delete
  12. That Roldana petasitis is an interesting looking one. I'd definitely give that a try if I lived down there. Streptosolen is a cheery plant. I'd grow that one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that Roldana is well known in Northern California but this is the only time I've seen it in SoCal.

      Delete
  13. I think the last one with the fan of chunky leaves is Strelitzia.
    Blooming pears are lovely to look at - even better in an avenue planted on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes 2 commentators who believe the plant is a giant bird of paradise. I'll watch out for flowers to seal the ID. That pear tree is purely ornamental - even the birds and the squirrels don't eat the berry-sized fruits.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.