Monday, November 23, 2020

In a Vase on Monday: Bouncy Blooms

My two arrangements this week have little in common.  They're far apart on the color wheel but not actually complementary.  One's small and the other's considerably larger.  Other than that they both feature some daisy-like flowers, the only quality I could think of that they share is a degree of buoyancy often lacking in my compositions.

The first was constructed around leggy Osteospermums I felt compelled to cut back to the ground yesterday morning.  I saved every half-decent bloom and used almost all of them.  However, the arrangement's energy was provided by my bubbly favorite, Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy'.

I don't use most of my Osteospermums in arrangements because the flowers close in low light but plants in the '3D' and '4D' series like the 'Berry White' shown here have densely petaled centers that allow them to remain fully open day and night

Back view, much like the front

Top view, showing off the Gomphrena's tiny flowers on almost invisible stems

Clockwise from the top: Osteospermum 'Berry White', Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy', and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'

My second arrangement was inspired by the bright orange leaves of one of my persimmons (Diospyros kaki 'Fuyu'), which I suspect may be gone by next week.  I initially thought I'd pair the colorful foliage with flowers of Grevillea 'Superb' but, with the nearby Copper Canyon Daisy (Tagetes lemmonii) currently in full bloom, I shifted my palette. 

The long stems of the Copper Canyon Daisies float above the heavier elements below.  Their scent bothers some people, including my husband, but thus far he hasn't said a word about them, although I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find the vase moved outdoors at some point

The back view shows off the grass plumes and grass-like Restio stems that add an airiness to the arrangement

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Tagetes lemmonii, berries of Auranticarpa rhombifolia, foliage of Diospyros kaki 'Fuyu' (aka 'Fuyu' persimmon), Chondropetalum elephantinum, Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun' flowers and seed heads, and Pennisetum 'Fireworks'

As I'd already cut two stems of Grevillea 'Superb', I popped those into a small, narrow-necked vase rather than tossing them out.

The Grevillea blooms do look good with the persimmon foliage.  They just didn't play well with the Copper Canyon Daisies.


Pop over to visit Cathy at Rambling in the Garden for more IAVOM arrangements created by other contributors from materials they have on hand in their gardens.



For those of you in the US, my best wishes for Happy Thanksgiving.  It may be a much different affair this year with the necessity to keep everyone safe by keeping them at a distance but it's possibly more important than ever to take a close look at what's really important in our lives and provide thanks for what we have, and what we hope to still have next year.


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


28 comments:

  1. There's my favourite girl back again! Itsy Bitsy! I have searched here several times for her but no luck. Not available in the UK sadly! Your vases are both lovely - as always! Thank you. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you're likely to find 'Itsy Bitsy' under that name, Amanda. In addition to that name, I've heard it called 'Little Grapes', 'Teensy Weensy' and 'Airy Bachelor's Buttons'.
      You might try searching under Gomphrena decumbens and Gomphrena serrata, as I've seen that species name used for what appears to be the same plant.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kris. I will have another look using those names. A

      Delete
    3. I hope you turn something up, Amanda!

      Delete
  2. Gomphrena 'Itsy Bitsy' and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow' are so fabulous together, that the accompanying flowers may be an afterthought. The second arrangement is a glowing tribute to fall colors; a perfect center piece for the holiday table. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Kris, as always! I really like the meadowy look to the second one, thanks to the grasses and Tagetes. The persimmon foliage and fruit is perfectly autumnal!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. You echoed my thoughts about using the day to truly reflect deeply on our many blessings, for despite the craziness going on, we continue to have much to be thankful for. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza! I'm frankly afraid that the number of people in hospitals will increase significantly right around Christmas if people aren't willing to tamp down their Covid fatigue for awhile longer yet.

      Delete
  4. I was very curious to see your bouncy blooms, and it's intriguing to note that there is indeed a degree of bouyancy evident in your vases. I do like these osteospermums and have just been considering adding some to my bedding plant order for next year - I did grow them one year and don't know why I haven't done so since. I love the monochrome purples of your first vase, and I agree the second one has a meadowy look to it. Both lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osteospermums are short-lived perennials here, Cathy, so we get a lot of bang for our buck from them provided we tidy them up periodically. I waited a bit long to do that with 'Berry White'. I hope you find some you like - there seems to be more and more varieties to choose from each year.

      Delete
  5. Love those Osteospermums! and the colors in the Persimmon inspired arrangement, I am going to look up the Pennisetum as I love it and the Osteosppp, not sure they will grow here..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a little moist for each in Florida, Amelia.

      Delete
  6. These are different but each is wonderful. Your Osteospermums always look spectacular and pairing with gomphrena is perfect. I love the use of the persimmon foliage today. Happy Thanksgiving! Hope this nightmare presidency ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have almost 2 more months to go, Susie, but at least today's news from the GSA indicates a move in the right direction.

      Delete
  7. I love that airiness the Gomphrena gives to the first arrangement Kris. And your second vase is very autumnal and well-suited to your Thanksgiving festival. I hope you are able to celebrate in some way, even if it will be different to usual. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since our parents passed away and our families have drifted to different areas of the country, our Thanksgivings have generally been relatively low-key affairs, Cathy, but this year it'll be just me and my husband here, which is fine for now.

      Delete
  8. Very nice. I can't decide which one I like best, so you're fortunate (and talented!) to have both. I really like the simple Grevillea arrangement, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't planned to include that Grevillea arrangement, Beth, but I liked it so much that I couldn't resist one photo. The persimmon leaves are already starting to fall so neither it nor the second arrangement will last long.

      Delete
  9. I especially liked the second vase and thought you created a splendid little taste of fall with the third one, too. I had already heard the GSA news so I was truly in a happy mood and your vases added to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Hopefully, we can start breathing a little easier.

      Delete
  10. I smiled at the thought of bouncy blooms Kris. I do like the thought of an osteospernum flower that is open for longer. I must see if they are available here. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving - it must be a special day to so many people over your side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This year, as with so many things, how we celebrate Thanksgiving is a major bone of contention, Anna. Many people want to party like there's no pandemic.

      Delete
  11. These vases full are quite diaphanous. I like that light airy look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Diaphanous"! That's an excellent description, Lisa.

      Delete
  12. I love the simple grevillea vase! And oh how I wish I could grow Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe treat the Gomphrena like an annual and see if it self-seeds? Annie's site says it'll "gently" reseed, although I've not seen that happen here (unless that explains how one of my plants has gotten so big).

      Delete
  13. You have a real knack for flower arranging. My favorite is the second one, with the copper canyon daisies and Indian blanket. The restio stems are the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.