Sunday, November 15, 2020

Bloom Day - November 2020

Temperatures have finally come down here and, in our view, it's been cold for more than a week now (even if much of the country wouldn't consider daytime temperatures in the upper 50s-low 60sF "cold"). With the exception of a single flower, the Dahlias and Zinnias are gone. There are still flowers but they're harder to find and sparser in number. I'll start with the plants providing the most prominent splashes of color. 

Barleria obtusa (aka bush violet) was just getting started  in mid-October.  It peaked earlier this month and is already waning but there's still a plentiful supply of blue flowers in both the front and back garden.
Senna bicapsularis is a reliable fall bloomer.  I cut the plant back hard early in the year hoping it might bloom on shorter stems but, once again, it's reaching for the sky.
The Australian fuchsias (Correa) were starting to bloom last month but they've really got their bloom on now.  Clockwise from the upper left are Correa 'Ivory Bells', 'Pink Eyre', 'Sister Dawn', and 'Wyn's Wonder'.
Gomphrena decumbens 'Itsy Bitsy' got hacked back by an overly exuberant gardener a few months ago but it's coming back.  The gardeners usually restrict their brief visits to trimming hedges and blowing leaves so I don't know what compelled the serious haircut this plant received.
I can always count on the large-flowered Grevilleas to continue blooming while everything else settles down for a nap.  The two large shrubs on the left are 'Superb' (top) and 'Peaches & Cream' (bottom).  'Ned Kelly' (lower right) is less prolific but still a year-round bloomer.
Pennisetum advena 'Rubrum' and its cousins are still going strong
Since our trees were trimmed, the Tagetes lemmonii (aka Copper Canyon Daisy) is getting more sun and will hopefully produce more flowers over the next several weeks


The garden offered a couple of surprises this month.


Dahlia 'Rancho'
produced its first, and probably last, bloom last week.  It's pretty but 6 months to obtain a single bloom isn't worth the investment.


Our Xylosma congestum hedges all produced these blooms after their last shearing.  The bees have swarmed them.


There are a few new blooms as well. 


The noID Camellia sasanqua inherited with the garden have just begun flowering.  Unfortunately, hybrid Camellia 'Taylor's Perfection' lost a lot of its buds during our late heat spells but new buds are forming so I hope I'll see some of those flowers in the new year.


Now that the heat is off, the Gazanias are blooming again

Our periodic flashes of hot weather usually take a toll on Violas here but I still can't resist planting a few every year


There's a little of this and a little of that scattered elsewhere in the garden.  Here's the rest, sorted as usual by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: Eustoma grandiflorum (aka Lisianthus), Brachyscome 'Brasco Violet', Leucophyllum laevigatum, Polygala myrtifolia, noID Osteospermum, Pandorea jasminoides, noID Scaevola, and Trichostemma 'Midnight Magic'

Clockwise from the upper left: Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', Cuphea 'Honeybells' C. 'Starfire Pink', Eustoma grandiflorum, Gaillardia 'Arizona Sun', Osteospermum 'Berry White', Penstemon mexicali 'Mini Red Bells' and Pentas lanceolata

Clockwise from the upper left: Argyranthemum 'Yellow Beauty', Achillea 'Moonshine', Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', Lantana 'Lucky Orange', Leonotis leonurus, Osteospermum 'Sunshine Beauty', and Zauschneria californica


For more posts celebrating Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, visit our host, Carol of May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2020 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


 

26 comments:

  1. Its nice to see its sunny somewhere... so many flowers in the middle of November. You have a charming collection of Correa, I particularly like the 'ivory bells' flowers against the silvery green leafs. I'm jealous of your Gazanias: I was tempted to buy a few in early spring (annuals in my zone): the rabbits munch each and every blessed bloom to the nub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beheaded Gazanias were the first sign I had rabbits here. (We've been here nearly 10 years but rabbits didn't show up until 2018.) For the most part, the coyotes cull their number so they're mischief is usually limited to the spring season and the plants self-seed with abandon in this climate.

      Delete
  2. You have so many blooms. I didn't remember it and may post later. It will be a very short list. 'Taylor's Perfection' was one of my favorite camellias in my last garden. I'd love to find one here. I don't think I've seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Camellia 'Taylor's Perfection' was the very first plant I bought for this garden after we moved in - I don't even have record as to where I got it because I wasn't keeping records yet then but I suspect it would have been my local garden center. I had lots of Camellias in my old garden but they don't much like this one and 'Taylor's Perfection' and the inherited Camellia sasanqua are the only Camellias I have now.

      Delete
  3. It would be wonderful to have something blooming year-round: I'm not going to lie. Believe it or not, I still have a few things blooming here in my Wisconsin garden, so if I get out with my camera later today, I'll try to join in the meme. Once the snow flies (very soon), I'm ready to hunker down and work on inside projects. Thanks for keeping my winter colorful with each visit to your beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of some winter downtime with respect to work in the garden, Beth - provided I could keep it to a duration of about 4-6 weeks ;)

      Delete
  4. Looks lovely. A real treat on this snowy morning. The only blooming plants for me right now are indoor orchids and some succulents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is a concept I have a hard time getting my head around, Elaine. I was born in southern California and have spent my entire life here. I've literally only seen snow a handful of times. Once, when my husband and I were driving from the Sacramento airport north to Grass Valley to spend Thanksgiving with family, the rain turned to snow and it took me several moments to recognize what it was!

      Delete
  5. This reminds me that we are entering the gray and dunn time. I so appreciate seeing all these colors. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're at least getting rain, Lisa. We've still had nearly none of that.

      Delete
  6. So beautiful and wonderful to see! The wind and rain here in Wales has pretty much killed off a lot of my flowers now, so I can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, we've had almost no rain, Nikki. Our rainy season officially starts October 1st and generally runs through March, followed by a long dry period. So far, we've only received 0.20/inch of rain this season and there's none on the horizon at present.

      Delete
  7. What a delicious feast for my eyes on this gloomy (and REALLY cold, damp) Nov. day. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We warmed up again today and expect to stay that way through the week, just as I was getting comfortable with it being cold, Eliza. Of course, our cold isn't the same as yours.

      Delete
  8. Lovely Blooms.I have never seen Senna bicapsularis in this off white color blooms before mostly seen yellow colored blooms only. I want to try lisianthus this year even after knowing the fact it wouldn't survive through the summer months.It would be my pleasure if you join my link up party related to gardening where you can share posts related to plants and flowers here at http://jaipurgardening.blogspot.com/2020/11/garden-affair-happy-diwali.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Senna flowers were yellow before they were repeatedly blasted by heat, Arun.

      Delete
  9. Ah those "large flowered" (great descriptor) Grevilleas...so striking. I wonder if I would get used to their beauty and they wouldn't seem so exotic if I could grow them in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, all I can say is that I still don't take those Grevillea for granted, Loree.

      Delete
  10. I’m reminded that I too have a Correa, although needless to say it doesn’t do nearly as well. Tomorrow I shall climb the hill and go find it, see if it is still alive!
    The weather has definitely gone downhill here now. Yours blooms are a heart lifting sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd trade a little of our sun and today's unreasonably high temperature for some of your rain, Jessica.

      Delete
  11. I always enjoy your blooms and gorgeous collages Thank you for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! The collages allow me to keep a relatively complete record of what's blooming each month without deluging readers with photos.

      Delete
  12. This is a fun post to review! I like the way the Senna appears. To allow more planting space, I prune bushy plants like this e.g. bougainvillea, to allow more space for others to grow and give a layered appearance. One day, I hope to have a Correa in my garden. From your photos, it appears that ‘Wyn’s Wonder’ is what I see at Sherman L&Gardens. The Osteospurmum ‘Sunshine Beauty’ is beautiful! Since I started following your blog, I now have the same Gomphrena, which flowers non-stop, Arctotis ‘Pink Sugar’ which started blooming prolifically again, and Cuphea ‘Starfire Pink’ which also blooms prolifically. I still have my Kris Plant Wish List, and Grevillea is on it! Do the hummingbirds visit your Grevillea in abundance? I wish you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hummingbirds LOVE Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' and 'Superb', Kay. Of course, they also like Cuphea 'Starfire Pink'. Osteospermum 'Sunshine Beauty' didn't like the recent hot, dry conditions here - I lost one of the small plants already but I'll be looking for more as it's a stunner.

      Delete
  13. Today there are buds emerging on my Leonotis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do your Leonotis bloom more than once a year, Diana? Mine seem to have their biggest flush of bloom in late spring/early summer with another, smaller flush in the fall.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.