Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Summer Doldrums

I'm suffering from cabin fever.  It's been too hot to do much of anything outside for most of the past week.  I've gotten in an hour or so of gardening during the early morning and the early evening hours now and then but my activities have been largely limited to hand-watering container plants.  I started one project I hadn't planned to tackle until cooler temperatures return but I've made minimal progress.  Since temperatures soared into the mid-90sF and above I haven't even walked the neighborhood in several days.

With the exception of delivering emergency water rations on a periodic basis, I've spent too much time staring out the window thinking about what needs to be done in the garden.  Over a two-day period I was briefly diverted by spying on the garden activities of a homeowner in the neighborhood across the canyon from us.  This homeowner (who I've never met) has demonstrated an obsession with his lawn over the ten plus years we've lived here.  I've seen him change out his sod twice.  The second time, I thought he must be replacing it with artificial turf, only to witness a crew installing new sod.  When another crew showed up, I assumed he was doing that again but I was wrong.

I didn't see them remove the sod but, when they brought in a small mountain of gravel, I thought maybe they were creating a patio extension

The next day I saw a team unrolling what looked like a large rug.  They spent hours cutting it to fit the space and rolling it flat.

It's great that they're saving water by eliminating the lawn, although I couldn't help thinking they could have done better with natural groundcovers.  However, for all I know, the owner uses that flat surface to practice his golf putt.

 

On my brief forays outside, I've collected a variety of insect bites.  The spiders are out in force and, every morning when I clean up Pipig's catio, I carry a big stick, waving it in front of me to take down any webs I'd otherwise walk right into.  I didn't anticipate I'd have to contend with webs inside the house as well but an ambitious spider managed to hitchhike in with flowers I cut on Sunday.

For a relatively tiny spider, overnight it'd created a large web stretching from the top of my sunflower bouquet to the dining table below.  According to my cell phone's ID function, this is some kind of orb weaver.  (I enlarged the photo to show more detail.)

 

Staring out my office window, I've seen butterflies, including giant swallowtails and cloudless sulphurs, as well as hummingbirds, but I repeatedly failed to get photographs of them every time I've hustled outside with my camera.

The lazy pace of the bumble bees makes them easier to catch on camera

and the fiery skippers were more accommodating as well


While I missed out on hummingbird photos, I caught photos of finches at the feeders from inside the house.  The 2 birds with brown backs are spice finches, aka nutmeg mannikins or scaly-breasted munia (Lonchura punctulata).  These birds are native to Asia but are thought to have escaped into the wild as pets.  Sightings were first recorded in Southern California in 1997.  I first saw them in December 2022

 

On the bright side, the seed-sown sunflowers in my cutting garden are now bursting into bloom one after another.

The majority of the sunflowers in this bed are Helianthus annuus 'Joker'.  As a side note, filling the backyard bird feeders has not stopped the finches from pecking at the large sunflower leaves.

 

I also noticed that bulbs planted in the area next to our garage are starting to bloom for the first time.

I planted 5 bulbs of Hymenocallis festalis 'Zwanenburg' (aka Peruvian daffodil) in March 2022.  They produced foliage but not flowers last September.  I'm guessing that the recent tropical storm may have prompted the blooms.



Even though I created three floral arrangements earlier this week, I felt compelled to cut more flowers while watering my raised planters on Monday morning rather than risk losing them to the heatwave.

The mug contains Dahlias 'Lavender Ruffles' and 'Mikayla Miranda' as well as Zinnia elegans 'Benary's Giant Purple' and the foliage of Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata'


Today, temperatures are expected to drop as much as ten degrees from yesterday's high of 97F, then fall again on Thursday, settling into the mid-70sF for the following week.  I'm hoping that forecast holds.

Pipig could care less

 

 

All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

20 comments:

  1. Artificial turf is better than lawn. Quite possibly your neighbor isn't interested in gardening. Avid gardeners, like ourselves, find it difficult to fathom. I keep hoping the couple next door will turn a new leaf, alas my hopes are dashed annually.
    "I've spent too much time staring out the window thinking about what needs to be done in the garden"- sound familiar. I've been making lists! Then it rained and I spend a few very satisfying hours in the garden. Your turn will come soon.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about making an actual list of what needs to be done in the garden but I'm afraid it would depress me, Chavli. It's already 90F here at 10:30am so I think yesterday's forecast about falling temperatures was off base. I note that the forecast for tomorrow is now showing a 15 degree dip ;) Fingers crossed. At least I have all that tropical storm water to dump onto plants in the early morning hours.

      Delete
  2. I hope you get relief soon. As I was looking at the photos of your neighbor's project, I was thinking "golf". I'm curious - what is the long white wall (or building?) down in the distance? It looks massive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all sure what that structure is, Phillip. I think that area is all part of the Port of Los Angeles complex so I'm guessing it's a storage/warehouse facility.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering also. Looked at Port of LA via google maps. As Kris commented, they are huge warehouses covered with massive arrays of solar panels--a good use of the roofs!

      Delete
  3. Sweet Pipig takes it ALL in stride! At least your neighbor timed it so you had a distraction during the heat, hahahaha. We're hitting 99 (ick) today then a nice subtle cooldown. I'm so looking forward to it, I'm hoping that's the last one but September can be hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pipig likes the heat more than I do but even she comes inside for AC-cooled conditions in the mid-afternoon. Yesterday's forecast of today's temperatures seems to be significantly off - we've just passed the 90 degree mark this morning.

      Delete
  4. I just don't understand artificial turf, it's so ugly! The spiders are doing their thing here too, there's one that rebuilds it's web right across the pathway into the back garden every night, so I can break it down the next morning. Sometimes carefully, unfortunately sometimes by walking right into it. Here's to garden time ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked into webs several times before I started waving a stick aground every morning - there's no marine layer dew right now to help me see the webs before I plant my face into them. My husband gave me a 4-foot stick as the dinky plant stake I was originally using didn't clear the webs for his height ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm so tired of our front lawn (which is required by HOA) that the artificial turf (almost) sound appealing. Are the spice finches desirable even though not native? They are beautiful birds. Glad you're seeing butterflies Kris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some HOAs are behind the curve by a mile, Susie. My biggest problem with the plastic lawns is that they can kill the living organisms in the soil below.

      I was really perturbed that I failed to get a decent photo of the swallowtail. I got reasonably close when it was feeding from the Lantana but I didn't have my telephoto lens and all my photos were fuzzy. The spice finches appear to behave like the house and lesser goldfinches that are native here and they hang out together too so it seems they've nicely adapted to our climate.

      Delete
  6. Pipig has priorities--relaxing is important! :^)

    Plastic lawns are really, really hot, maybe even hotter than concrete. I bet the owners realized that about ten minutes after the installers left.

    Cabin fever here too. I went out on the patio and separated calendula seedings into 1 per cell to at least get my hands dirty. It helped.

    Cooler weather on the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperature has dropped a bit this afternoon but unfortunately not by 10 degrees as forecast. Still, there's reason to hope that the downward trench will continue.

      Delete
  7. Pipig has the right idea, as do most cats, ha! If only we could follow their example. Hope your temps drop so you can resume your outdoor activities, I'd be going stir-crazy, too! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooler temperatures are reportedly on the way, Eliza. I'm trying to decide if I'm up for 2 rounds of the neighborhood with the temperature standing at 82F with 50% humidity and no breeze.

      Delete
  8. Rather frustrating when there are things you want to to do but something gets in the way. Weather here is rollar coastering: a few days of excessive heat then a dive down into fairly chilly temps than back up. Big storm last night provided lots of rain but now smokey. However, piles of produce are demanding attention so have to do what you can. Hopefully you are out in your garden soon. Pippig does have the right idea. Sit back and relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a wicked weather roller coaster, Elaine. I'm sorry to hear that smoke is still an issue. Best wishes with your harvest!

      Unlike Pipig, I'm not especially good at relaxing. With temperatures down (our morning marine layer returned today!), I'm going to try to get some work done in the garden and maybe start tackling the windows - Tropical Storm Hilary really left them a blurry mess!

      Delete
  9. Cooler weather finally arrived here and chased away our smoke. We also had our first precipitation in four months, with a much needed inch of rain on Thursday. Hoping the weather continues to improve for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on the rain, Jerry! We got a smidge of rain (0.04/inch) Saturday morning, which was better than nothing.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.