Friday, August 18, 2023

Maybe meadows aren't for me...

I visited South Coast Botanic Garden's "Phase One" Pollination Garden in late July when it was only just coming into bloom.  I'd planned to go back to see it in full bloom four to six weeks later but SCBG posted notice about the new garden's progress in a newsletter so I popped in again this week.  The garden is indeed in full bloom, with flowers in some areas stretching well above my head.

The photo on the left was taken on July 25th.  The photo of the same area on the right was taken on August 16th.

Although I arrived soon after the garden opened at 8am, it was already quite warm

Flowers that had been a foot high at the time of my earlier visit were chest high or taller


 

I could hear the water circulating in the pond but I could barely see it.


 

The bright pink shade sail covers are still in place. 

And they haven't faded yet

 

The pollinators were plentiful, even if I caught relatively few photos of them.

The bees were busy and easier to photograph than the butterflies

On the left is a monarch butterfly.  On the right is a truly tiny butterfly I think may be an arctic blue (Plebejus glandon).

NOT a pollinator, except perhaps by accident, but he was in the middle of things

 

I appreciated all the vibrant flowers but, linking back to the title of this post, if this is representative of a meadow, it's probably not something I'd want in my own garden.

Jumbled mix of flowers

Cosmos flowers were the most prevalant

Other flowers I was able to identify included, clockwise from the upper left: Amaranthus cruentus, Anethum graveolens (dill), Borago officianalis (borage), Helianthus annuus (sunflower), Mirabilis jalapa (four o'clocks), Tithonia rotundifolia (Mexican sunflower), and another Helianthus

 

I've always liked the idea of a meadow garden.  I envision drifts of flowers and grasses, with the mix changing subtly as the season progresses but always retaining a degree of cohesion.  (I may be obsessively tidy, even when it comes to garden settings.)  I prefer floral colors that coordinate with one another and, while I don't think low profile plants must always be sited in front of taller plants, I like to see a discernible flow of one type to another.  While I liked feeling enveloped by an abundance of blooms, the Phase One Pollination Garden was too visually chaotic for me.  To be fair, SCBG's objective was to create a space to attract pollinators, not the creation of a meadow garden.  I suspect that the staff was also in a hurry to fill the space so it could be reopened to visitors this summer before they embark on the more labor intensive Phase Two process that will require cooler fall temperatures and the promise of rain.  In the interim they simply spread a mass of mixed seed to cover the ground and let plants remain wherever they germinated.

 

Temperatures have been in the upper 80sF (31C) this week so I didn't hang around SCBG long.  I took just a few photos outside my tour of the Pollination Garden.

An Ocotillo (Fouquieria peninsularis) in bloom in the Desert Garden next to a noID agave

A couple of displays in the small greenhouse

A closer look at the tree in the parking lot I incorrectly identified as a noID Acacia in an earlier post.  A closeup photo of the flowers indicates that this is a Palo Verde tree (Parkinsonia).

 

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend.  There's a strong chance that a tropical rainstorm stemming from Hurricane Hilary, currently stirring things up to the south of us in Mexico, will reach Southern California this weekend.  According to local projections, we could get as much as one and a half inches of rain and even more is possible in surrounding areas.  As summer rain of any amount is an anomaly here, that's a lot!



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

26 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on this. Maybe if I lived in a rural area with more property...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if a had another acre or two of land, I think I'd still want to see more cohesion to any meadow layout I created. In a natural meadow, I suspect plants create self-seeded drifts of selected flowers.

      Delete
  2. This is such an interesting question! I'm with you on this particular iteration, but go bonkers for some of the English designers working in this area (S. Price anyone?). I know it's a temporary installation, but would love to hear what people think might have given it enough visual legibility to fly; I know I'll be pondering awhile...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SCBG mentioned that the Phase One garden was created using a "custom seed mix." While I might have spread a variety of seeds of different types near one another where they could mingle at the margins, I don't think I'd have put all the seed varieties together before sowing them. However, I've seen plenty of mixed seed packets sold in garden centers so I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who enjoy a bit of visual chaos more than I do.

      Delete
  3. Meadow gardens in general are not my thing, but this crazy floral explosion is too much for my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a harder time appreciating the individual flowers given this approach to the planting, Loree. A lot of variety and some surprise in how plants are mixed can be interesting but this was a bit much from my perspective.

      Delete
  4. Barbie's Cosmos Jungle!

    The "meadow gardens" I've seen that looked pretty good were not so crowded and not so what appears to be uniformly tall. A lot more airy and open than this one. Perhaps the person in charge was not expecting such good germination rates? Though, I give it the benefit of the doubt, they wanted to get something growing ASAP. They can improve on it given some time, observation, etc. in the meantime they've fed a lot of butterflies and bees--there's something in good in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were indeed very successful in bringing in pollinators, even if my photos don't reflect that! I'm sure the Phase Two plan will be much less casual.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the garden has so many blooms and so much color. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I like best are the pink shade sail covers! Although probably not brave enough to use this color in my own garden, they look fantastic with the pink cosmos blooms. If this area was put together in a hurry, I'd say it's good enough. I would hope more thought would go into it in the future, incorporating permanent plants for pollinators in addition to the annual, grown from seed extravaganza.
    I hope the tropical storm will be gentle in your garden.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have great expectations for Phase 2 of this garden, Chavli.

      I was calm about the tropical storm until we started getting warning after warning about it. My fingers are crossed that all goes well. A little less than 3 inches of rain in total is expected in my location but, if it all comes at once, that could be trouble.

      Delete
  7. The plants and the temps are similar to ours this time of year. And we'll be in the 90s this week, with no rain again. Thanks for sharing this garden. The Cosmos and the Zinnias and the Sunflowers are all so beautiful. I get your thoughts about a little more organization. I actually enjoy both formats. Happy late summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all those flowers, Beth. I just wish they'd been arranged so they complemented one another rather than jockeying for attention ;) I'm sure Phase 2 will be less chaotic ;)

      Delete
  8. Honestly, when I hear the word "meadow" I think of rather dry, grassy expanses sparsely populated with native wildflowers. It would not be surprising to see animals contentedly grazing - at least that's what my childhood meadows were like. I suppose tithonia and cosmos are native to somewhere, but in that abundance they make me think of a big box of crayons with all available colors. Meadows - to me - are more visually understated eco-systems. Mind you, if attracting pollinators were the main idea, I'd say they nailed it.

    May the approaching storm fill all your water cisterns, but leave everything else merely refreshed. Be safe, Kris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes, Anna. My husband just rolled our propane generator out so it'll be readily accessible if we lose power. (We've already been warned that might happen.) And I stuck our rain chain into an empty garbage bin to collect rainwater not captured by the tanks linked to our roof gutters so I won't have to run around filling individual plastic bins and risk a lightning strike ;)

      Delete
  9. Maybe they will "edit" now that they see how things grew. That pink shade is not what I think of when I think of meadow. Your butterfly photos are nice--glad the plantings are doing a good job of drawing in pollinators.
    Thinking of you tonight as I finally checked the news today. Be safe in the storm, Kris. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This "Phase 1" garden was never intended to be permanent, Susie, and I expect a lot more planning and careful planting will go into the "Phase 2" effort. They're planning to undertake that effort in November.

      The storm is expected to arrive here around 5am PDT, hitting its peak by noon and holding steady until 6pm when it'll slowly taper off into Monday. We think we're ready but as we haven't had a storm like this one during our lifetime, we're about to get educated!

      Delete
  10. Wonderful shades of pink and I'm loving the wildlife!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Granted, meadows vary from place to place, from alpine to prairie. This felt like a bunch of seed thrown down without following a design as a temporary stand-in as you mentioned. My favorite meadow is a la Piet Oudolf, native plants supplying food to native insects/birds with an attractive design. Let's hope the next spring's garden has transformed into one of those.
    I hear serious rain is heading your way, good thing you live on a hill and not in a low basin! Take care. Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tropical storm is in the process of moving through now (somewhat more slowly than we'd like), Eliza. While we've received an alert about flash flooding, our altitude helps when it comes to floods, if not necessarily landslides ;)

      Delete
  12. Thinking that the SCBG meadow is a temporary one too. It is a mishmash with quite a few nonnative annuals - probably more for color than anything else. I've seen beautiful natural or restored meadows and prairies in several places that have a relatively limited set of plants that blend together more holistically in repeating patterns. Less clashy. It can be done, but requires work to maintain and keep out invasives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, despite some articles suggesting that meadows can be created by simply sowing packets of mixed seeds, the most serious landscape designers seem to indicate that it's an effort that can take years to perfect. I think SCBG's intent with its "Phase 1" garden was simply to cover a lot of ground quickly and attract pollinators in the process. They were successful in that respect.

      Delete
  13. Maybe not a meadow, but lovely nonetheless. The cosmos look wonderful planted as they are en masse. And that pink sun sail goes perfectly and has got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have liked it better with just the color-coordinated Cosmos and the sails, Cathy. The random color mix was too chaotic for my taste.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.