Friday, September 1, 2023

More work than I'd anticipated

In the middle of our most recent heatwave, I started renovating the back garden bed that sits just outside my home office window.  While I'd been thinking of pulling out some of the succulents there for some time, I hadn't planned to tackle any renovation until late September or early October when the temperatures were lower.  But a branch of the tree-sized Leucadendron 'Pisa' in the bed was bent during Tropical Storm Hilary and required minor pruning.    As sometimes happens, one thing led to another.  I ended up severely pruning the large Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt' that occupies the same bed, as well as pulling up most of the Aeoniums that shared the space.

I'll start with a couple of before shots.

This photo of the bed in question (on the left) was taken in May.  There were already some holes there but it's the best before shot I have.

This photo was taken back in January 2021 but it shows the mass of mixed Aeonium arboreum and Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' planted adjacent to the back patio when they were looking their best

 

I don't have a good "before" photo of Acacia 'Cousin Itt' but it's now a a shadow of its former self.

These Acacias produce new foliage atop masses of bare stems, dry twigs and dead foliage.  I removed the majority of the dry material when I cut this one back.  If this plant survives the experience, I may give the rest of my 'Cousin Itt' Acacias severe haircuts too.

 

I hadn't originally planned to take out eighty percent of the the Aeoniums but, when they grow as big as the plants in this bed did, pruning them halfway doesn't help their overall appearance much.

These are closeups of the Aeoniums (arboreum and 'Kiwi') on 3 sides of this bed before I set to work

 

I took a large number of presentable cuttings, more than I can possibly use.  Two-thirds or more of what I pulled up went directly into our green recycle bin.

These are some of the cuttings I saved.  As I don't expect to use the majority of them, I may offer them whatever I don't use to neighbors.


The bed is now half empty.  Still in place are the Acacia 'Cousin Itt', Leucadendron 'Pisa', Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata', a Hemerocallis (now nearly dormant), a handful of Hippeastrum 'Luna', several small variegated Lantanas, and a much smaller number of succulents.

The lifted "skirts" of the Acacia are evident in this photo.  The scattering of Aeonium arboreum in the middle foreground were cuttings I planted earlier this year in an initial effort to fill holes left when the tall stems of the surrounding Aeoniums collapsed under their own weight.  I'm not yet sure they'll remain there when I replant the area.

Even though I loved the wall of mixed Aeoniums I had running along the back patio's edge (as shown in the second "before" photo at the top of this post), I'm inclined to select low-growing groundcovers here to avoid crowding the nearby patio table

As the bed outside the lower frame of this photo is filled with succulents, I'm inclined to use at least some succulents here to connect the 2 areas.  At present, I'm planning to keep the 3 Agave lophantha 'Quadricolor' that are already there, even though the plants pup like crazy.  I removed 5 'Quadricolor' pups in the process of cleaning out the bed.

These photos show the empty spaces I'm most likely or fill with softer (non-succulent) plants

 

As indicated, my plans for the empty spaces are fuzzy.  I'll probably use some of my Aeonium cuttings in the bed but, at least at present, I'm thinking of leaving the area directly adjacent to the back patio succulent-free as the earlier planting intruded too much on the limited patio space.

 

Fortunately, planting up a succulent pot requires far less thought.

A friend gave me the pretty pale green pot shown here in May and I only just got around to planting it.  The pot contains a noID Kalanchoe with pale pink flowers, Sedum 'Little Missy', Crassula perforata 'Variegata', and Echeveria 'Violet'.

 

We're anticipating our current cooler temperatures in the mid-70sF (24C) to continue for roughly another week.  Fingers crossed.

 

Best wishes for a pleasant weekend.  As an aside, for those of you interested in drought-tolerant landscapes, you may wish to take a look at the short (one to 2 minute) videos relating to the gardens of Minack Theatre, an open air space situated on the Cornish cliffs in Penzance, UK.  I was surprised at how many of the plants featured there are present in my own garden.  I learned about the Minack Theatre from an episode of Gardener's World but I found the videos here.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

 


15 comments:

  1. It always starts with one branch that needs removing... :-D
    You've made a nice job of cleaning out that bed, I hope you can hold off till cooler weather arrives to replant. It'll give you time to consider different options, which is kind of fun too.
    I watched all the short videos from the Minack Theatre. What a spectacular location: gardening job I would have love to have.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish those Minack Theatre videos were longer and a bit more descriptive (even if I could identify many of the plants they didn't name). As my right knee reacts negatively when I make too many trips up and down my own back slope within a short period, I suspect I couldn't deal with Minack's cliffs but I'm still entranced by the setting. If I had the opportunity to garden there, it might be worth expediting the knee surgery the orthopedist has recommended ;)

      Delete
    2. I've just realized that Minack Theatre is on the itinerary of my trip next year: England's South West coast gardens. I'm over the moon.
      Chavli

      Delete
  2. You made quick work of that clean-up job. Looks really great, my cousin itt's are in need of a good trim as well. I'm going to watch the video now, thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't feel like quick work, tz! But the heat and sweat pouring into my eyes possibly just made the time investment feel longer. Despite the sheer number of Aeoniums I have in my garden, I was surprised how hard it was to get some of those that had developed thick trunks out of the garden.

      Delete
  3. I would have never thought I'd like the "after" shots as much as I do. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I just have to find the right plants to fill the empty space, Loree! I'm waiting for cooler weather and fall plant shipments for much of that.

      Delete
  4. You really know how to get out there and get things done. I ponder and am still pondering years later. Thanks for the reminder about Gardener's World. I'd forgotten to watch the last couple shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Susie. I think the Minack segment was in episode 18. I'm running behind myself.

      Delete
  5. Ha, that's happened to me too. Start on one thing and it just balloons into an entire production. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what to put into a new empty spot. Best wishes that you find something you like soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few plants in mind but they're either mundane or unavailable at present. I may need to make the rounds of local garden centers to scout other possibilities but 'tis the season for fall plant shopping!

      Delete
  6. Funny how one small job snowballs into many. Do so love your exuberant Aeoniums. It's time to start looking at bringing some of my succulents in for winter but my Aeoniums have a bad case of mealy bug so they will not make the trip. Your Aeoniums are kind of like our bearded iris. Super vigourous requiring regular thinning. Iris are so expensive to purchase but difficult to find homes for here as they are so ubiquitous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish bearded Iris were like that here, Elaine! Aeonium 'Kiwi' appeals to a lot of people so there may be some takers there, especially among people who've noticed that the local garden centers are charging $6.99 for a 4" pot of what are just rooted cuttings. The plain green Aeonium arboreum has fewer takers - and I usually hang on to those in other colors as they don't pup like the more common green type.

      Delete
  7. Wow, impressive work, Kris! It must have taken you hours to complete this job, and it looks great. Fresh air, exercise and sunshine keeps us young, ha!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.