Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Bloom Day - August 2023, a day late and a dahlia short

Since 2018, I've depended upon dahlias as the backbone of my summer flower garden.  My tubers got a late start this year because the cool season flowers held on for an extended period, as did our cooler-than-usual temperatures.  In late April, when I finally pulled the tubers out of the garage where they're kept during their dormant season, I planted them in temporary pots to germinate but getting them moved into the raised planters of my cutting garden was also delayed because I held off on clearing the space of the cool season flowers until early June.  So here we are in mid-August with the dahlias just getting started.

Dahlia 'Catching Fire' is off to a good start, while soft lavender 'Mikayla Miranda' is only getting started.  Other dahlias have lots of fat buds, which are taking their time opening up.

 

Luckily, not all my flowering plants have been so slow to get their bloom on.  Here are some of the plants providing starring roles this month.

Amaryllis belladonna (aka naked ladies because the bulbs bloom well after their foliage dies back) started flowering in earnest before I even looked for them

Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid' produced a massive flush of bloom last week

Succulent Crassula pubescens ssp radicans is blooming en masse in spots throughout my garden

I wouldn't usually give Lantana star status but the 'Lucky White' and 'Lucky Yellow' varieties I cut back a couple of months ago have put on a major effort to elevate this area of my front garden

Unlike the dahlias, Zinnia elegans, most of which were sown from seeds in early June, didn't dilly-dally about blooming.  The varieties here include 'Benary's Giant Purple', 'Queen Lime Orange', 'Giant Salmon Rose', 'Lemon Peach', 'Mazurkia', and an assortment from 'Candy Mix' 

 

Other plants may not deserve a starring role but they're great team players.

Planted last year, Cuphea 'Honeybells' took its time to develop but it's putting on a great show this year.  It's a trailing variety unlike my other Cupheas that have stems that stand upright.

Dipladenia, a relative of Mandevilla with a trailing habit, is new to my garden this year.  Both of these are growing in large containers mixed with other plants.

Gazania 'Otomi' has flowered more profusely than I'd expected.  The flowers vary in appearance as they develop.

I almost forgot about Globularia x indubia (aka globe daisy), which I cut back hard several months ago

I can't forget the reliable and ever-flowering Grevillea 'Superb'

This Helianthus 'Sunbelievable Brown-Eyed Girl' has been blooming for months now

 

Some plants are still providing splashes of color even as they're in the process of exiting the stage for the season.

I cut the last of the white Agapanthus in my garden on Sunday but there are still a handful of blue Agapanthus here and there.  The ink-blue colored flowers of Agapanthus 'Elaine' (left) got a late start, as was also the case last year.

The first flush of Leonotis leonurus is coming to an end but I've cut many of the stems back to see if I can get a second round

The paper-dry flowers of Limonium perezii are fading literally and figuratively

Magnolia grandiflora was dropping leaves by the bushel earlier this summer.  The leaf drop is now minimal but flower petals are littering the ground at a rapid rate.

I cut back Monarda hybrid 'Peter's Purple' earlier and got a second flush of flowers but I'm not sure it's got the energy for a third flush

Myrtus communis is an attractive but not particularly flashy plant.  I've found it isn't a great addition to floral arrangements either.

Just 10 days ago, Pandorea jasminoides (aka bower vine) was blanketed in white flowers but it seems to be about done now

This was the second flush of bloom from Salvia canariensis var candidissima, which is currently looking scruffy

 

As usual, my garden provided a few surprises, one of which isn't auspicious.

I tried Echinops ritro ruthenicus (aka globe thistle) a few years ago but it died without blooming.  It's doing better this time.

This is the second year I've gotten Medinilla myriantha (aka Malaysian orchid) to bloom

A friend gave me a Oxypetalum coeruleum (syn. Tweedia caerulea) a couple months ago.  This is another plant that I've tried and killed before but this one's made it to bloom stage.

The pretty flowers of Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' aren't a surprise as I've shown them often enough.  The plant blooms year-round, albeit not as heavily as Grevillea 'Superb'.  However, it's dropped a substantial portion of its leaves over the last 2-3 months, which has me concerned that it may be failing.  There was a gopher in the immediate area so that might have something to do with its decline, or maybe the heavy rainfall followed by a substantially drier period has something to do with it.  I lightly pruned the leaf-less stems and I'm monitoring it closely, while keeping my fingers crossed.

 

I'll end this post as I usually do with the best of the rest, lumped into collages organized by color.

Clockwise from the upper left: Alstroemeria 'Inca Sundance', noID Bacopa, Cuphea 'Vermillionaire', the dried remnants of Cynara cardunculus (aka artichoke), Gazania 'Gold Flash', and noID yellow-orange Lantana

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia 'Kaleidoscope', Achillea ptarmica, Angelonia 'Archangel White', Asparagus densiflorus, Fuchsia 'Windchimes White', Helichrysum petiolare, Scabiosa columbaria, and Phyla nodiflora

Clockwise from the upper left: Digitalis purpurea 'Dalmatian Purple', Nemesia 'Honey Bicolor Orange Flame', noID Phalaenopsis, Polygala myrtifolia, Scabiosa columbaria 'Deep Blue', and Sollya heterophylla

Top row: Cistus x scanbergii, C. 'Sunset', and Cuphea 'Starfire Pink'
Middle: Pelargonium 'Dynamo Hot Pink', P. 'Dynamo Purple', and noID Pelargonium
Bottom: Pentas 'Graffiti Pink', noID Thymus, and Rosa 'Pink Meidiland'

Clockwise from the upper left: Daucus carota 'Dara', noID Hoya, Fuchsia 'Voodoo', and Pelargonium peltatum in red and burgundy

 

For more Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day posts published on or after August 15th, visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. Lovely Belladona Lillies, and the Zinnias...wow! I really enjoy your composite collections of photos. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along with the dahlias, the zinnias make the summer season for me, Beth.

      Delete
  2. Cane's Hybrid is amazing in August. I like the zinnias too, esp 'Lemon Peach' -- I had no success with zinnias in zone 10, but I think I was trying them in pots instead of the drier garden. My veg garden is mostly empty except for zucchini and beans. Peas were fun -- but like you I think I'd get much more use of it as a cutting garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked sugar snap peas when I grew them but I do get more enjoyment out of sweet pea flowers...Zinnias need a considerable amount of water and, while I've grown plugs in my borders on occasion, I usually sow my zinnia seeds in the raised planters of my cutting garden where I feel I can better manage the water they need.

      Delete
  3. Always love your Bloom Day posts, Kris! So many wonderful blooms to peruse. Standouts for me: Nemesia 'Honey Bicolor Orange Flame', Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' always a favorite, I hope it is okay. And Helianthus 'Sunbelievable Brown-Eyed Girl, I must look for this next year. Since I have to stake my sunflowers generally, I am always looking for a way not to have to do that! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying not to overreact to the condition of Grevillea 'Peaches & Cream' but I am worried, Eliza. Amelia (Shrub Queen) had a good experience with 'Sunbelievable Brown-Eyed Girl' so I decided to try one plant and I've been very pleased with it.

      Delete
  4. Only you can tell something you counted on is missing. The rest of us can’t imagine there could be more blooming than you’ve shared. Great title for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny but, when I looked at my August garden, disappointed by the dahlias, I couldn't see the bounty I actually had. I tend to measure the garden's output against the spring display and lose track of the extent to which my garden has evolved since the early days.

      Delete
  5. Dipladenia! Beautiful, saturated blooms (even the white is saturated!).
    Globularia x indubia: gorgeous: blooms nestled in the gray-green foliage is so lovely.
    Leonotis wrapped in feather grass is a nice shot, but oh, the seeds...
    My Hoya, a rooted start from last year, is still young: I'm desperate for it to bloom.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already thinned out the Mexican feather grass in that area, including (at least temporarily) the seedy bits, Chavli, although there are other areas I still need to tackle ;) Hoyas respond positively to a little cactus fertilizer so you may want to add some of that if you haven't done so already.

      Delete
  6. Lots of flowers in August. Chance of rain for Sunday. Not so bad! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80+% chance of rain here according to Weather Underground! One and a half inches projected for our area.

      Delete
  7. No shortage of blooms for this Bloom's Day. August really is the month for a floral show. Your cooler wetter season seems to have helped the plants. Everything looks fantastic especially Agapanthus 'Elaine' (wink). We set a heat record today (93 F) and will go down into the 60's tonight with rain tomorrow which will be most welcome by plants and people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try growing Agapanthus 'Elaine'! There's actually rain in our weekend forecast here, courtesy of Hurricane Hilary now building up in the South Pacific. The chance of rain on Sunday is currently set at 99%! There's a lesser but still good chance LA's going to see tropical storm-strength winds unlike anything the area's experienced since 1939.

      Delete
  8. I spied a big pot of Leonotis leonurus at a nursery yesterday, I was tempted by those fabulous orange flowers—but managed to talk myself out of it. Seeing yours I momentarily regretted that choice. I wish that plant was hardy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Leonotis bloomed particularly well this year, tprobably due to the heavy rain this spring. It wants more water than it usually gets - and a lot of sun too. Mine is now getting a bit too much shade from the huge Callistemon 'Cane's Hybrid'.

      Delete
  9. Every month your garden amazes me. Your assortment of blooms always puts me in awe and I am especially admiring your Zinnias, which are looking amazing! Thanks for the enjoyable stroll and Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee! Zinnias and dahlias have made summer tolerable for me ;)

      Delete
  10. I've been pleasantly surprised how well Echinops is holding up to extended drought here in Oregon. It may be one that merits more space in my garden even though it gets a bit floppy by midsummer.

    You've still got a beautiful variety of flowers going strong. We've gone to dry and brown mode now, mainly with wild carrot blooming out in the "lawn". Not my favorite time of year. Ready for rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted 3 Echinops and so far just one has bloomed but maybe the rain we got from Tropical Storm Hilary will push the other 2 forward. The rain was a huge but welcome surprise in my area but unfortunately more severe rain elsewhere in SoCal didn't come without serious consequences.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.