Monday, August 28, 2023

In a Vase on Monday: Too early to welcome fall?

My first floral arrangement this week makes me think of fall.  In the middle of another heatwave, the cooler temperatures associated with the change of seasons is appealing.  To be honest, my area hasn't had temperatures soar as high as they have in Southern California's inland valleys, much less other parts of the United States and elsewhere in the world.  However, even temperatures in the low 90sF (33C) get tiresome by late August, especially when you're getting itchy about plunging into the projects you've sidelined while waiting for the heat to abate.

While the colors used in the following arrangement conjure images of pumpkin spice, crackling fireplaces, and comfy sweaters, the flowers that make it up are all summer bloomers, at least here.

The seed-sown branching sunflowers are blooming at last so I built on their colors by adding several stems of Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset' in varying hues

Back view:  I also added the burgundy foliage of Hibiscus 'Haight Ashbury'

Top view

Top row: Coleonema album, Hibiscus acetosella 'Haight Ashbury', and Leptospermum 'Copper Glow'
Middle: Helianthus annuus 'Brown-Eyed Girl', 'Greenburst', and 'Joker'
Bottom: Rudbeckia hirta 'Cherokee Sunset' in varied colors

I included a proper prop this week, featuring 2 mice working to hasten autumn by painting green leaves orange

 

Instead of hot cocoa, the second arrangement may make you think of tropical punch.

2 Dahlias are debuting this week: 'Belle of Barmera' and 'Labyrinth'

Back view, showing just how large one of the dinnerplate 'Belle of Barmera' blooms can get

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder', noID Plectranthus scutellarioides (coleus), Dahlia 'Belle of Barmera', peach Zinnia elegans 'Candy Mix', Z.e. 'Queen Lime Orange', Z. e. 'Benary's Giant Salmon Rose', and Dahlia 'Labyrinth'

 

I had a handful of stems left when I finished stuffing my second vase.  I couldn't bring myself to toss them out so instead I cut a few more flowers and some foliage for a third arrangement.

This small vase features Dahlia 'Summer's End', which didn't make the cut when I put together vase #2

Back view with coordinating Zinnias

Top view

Clockwise from the upper left: Abelia 'Kaleidoscope', Alstroemeria 'Claire', Zinnia elegans 'Queen Lime Orange' (and Z. e. 'Salmon Rose', not shown in closeup), Z.e, 'Lemon Peach with yellow 'Candy Mix', and Dahlia 'Summer's End'

 

I can't claim that my dahlias are coming on like gangbusters but they've definitely stepped up production.  They're flopping all over one another in two of my raised planters because I did a very poor job of supporting them this year.  I hustled to get my plants in the ground in June once the raised planters were cleared of the cool season flowers but I thought there was plenty of time to put in place the tomato cages I use to support the taller varieties.  I dragged my feet too long and was forced to use less effective supports when it became clear that it was too late to insert the cages without breaking stems in the process.  Another lesson learned: the supports need to go in place when the plants do.


For more IAVOM creations, visit Cathy in Rambling in the Garden.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

30 comments:

  1. Your 'helios' arrangement is exquisite and perfect with the vase you selected. The hibiscus foliage is a great addition... I wouldn't have recognized it if you didn't name it.
    If this vase is reflects Autumn colors, all I can say is: bring it on! I don't do well with temps over 75, I practically wilt. Today, with overcast sky, I'll spend a few hours in the garden; rain is forecast for tomorrow in the Seattle area: hallelujah!
    Well named second vase: let's raise a glass of tropical punch to celebrate the upcoming end of summer. 'Belle of Barmera' has an outstanding coloring: wow!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chavli. I can't say I love temperatures above 75F either even though I've lived in SoCal my entire life. I grew up in one of the inland valleys here and I'd swear that I noticed the steadily warming temperatures there long before "global warming" was part of the international dialogue. My BIL, who escaped SoCal decades ago, has suggested we move to the Seattle area (he's on Vashon Island) to avoid the persistent drought, if not also the heat, but it's hard to start over.

      Delete
  2. Oh! Beautiful! The fluffiness of Greenburst is my favorite. What is up with dahlias this year? They are not showing up for the party like they usually do - and this year I decided to really pinch those back hard for extra blooms and to control their floppy growth. Not the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'Greenburst' too, although it's not half as robust as 'Joker'. I think our dahlia season, at least here, was set into slo-mo by the cool temperatures that extended into June. I pinched most of my dahlias but sadly I screwed up on supporting them. 'Lavender Ruffles', which I've grown before, is behaving like a sea monster this year!

      Delete
  3. The "F" word seems to be on everyone's mind these days. You know where I stand on it all. Summer forever baby! That said your arrangements are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know where you stand on summer, Loree, and I came close to apologizing in advance to you for wishing it'd hurry along when I wrote my post ;) Maybe if your winter were as mild as ours you'd have a more benign reaction to the change in seasons.

      Delete
  4. Each vase is unique and lovely. The first one definitely is a powerful one, and yes, fall seems to be coming although I agree with Loree. Love summer. The dinnerplate is awesome in size and color. My dahlias are a real bust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hoping my dahlias come through in September and that they hang on through October, Susie. By my count, 7 varieties have yet to make an appearance, although all the plants are healthy and some have buds.

      Delete
  5. Your floral arrangements are gorgeous as always. I like them all! We're having perfect weather this week, but back into the 90s over the weekend and next week. It happens some years. I hope we'll have some 70s and 80s for highs in September and early October. Happy almost autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd hoped that the current heatwave would be like the last one with temperatures staying in the low 90s but we're close to 96F this afternoon, Beth. I'm already feeling cabin fever.

      Delete
  6. Oh what a terrific trio of vases Kris - hard to pinpoint a favourite this week but perhaps the second one but then again ... 🤔 😂 Those little mice are most naughty indeed. I feel that we haven't had summer yet so I'm in no hurry to see autumn colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With summer being so hot and dry here, the shorter the better summer is in my view, Anna. As it stands, we probably won't be looking summer in the back-view mirror until late October anyway.

      Delete
  7. I will take a taste of fall in any form! Wonderful colors today, i love the sunflowers with the burgundy accents especially. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia. That burgundy Hibiscus surprised me by shooting up in height following Tropical Storm Hilary. It's a plant that would probably prefer your climate to mine.

      Delete
  8. Lovely vases filled with so much color...the first is definitely autumnal. Love the prop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. Hopefully the color will keep coming now that the dahlias have gotten rolling.

      Delete
  9. Definitely a touch of fall in your beautiful vases. We’re going from the 70s to the 90s this week. Not how I want to start September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! We got up to 96F this afternoon. I'm hoping the heatwave will be over by Friday - for both of us!

      Delete
  10. What a triumph is your sunflower arrangement. You've grown some delightful cultivars, and you have shown them off to great effect. As for your zinnias what a triumph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noelle. The zinnias are a required element in my summer cutting garden.

      Delete
  11. That early Halloween vase is spectacular...the hibiscus really adds to the spooky vibe; you know, like pumpkin spice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the Hibiscus does flower, I added the plant to my garden for its dramatic foliage. I've yet to see a flower from it but then cutting the tall stems for their foliage tends to minimize the likelihood of flowers ;)

      Delete
  12. You really outdid yourself with that first arrangement. It's inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sunflower vase is gorgeous! I am inspired to plant more varieties next year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The branching sunflowers have been so much more rewarding for me than the single-flowered varieties, Angela. The Rudbeckias have been more intriguing than I'd expected too.

      Delete
  14. Sumptuous sunflower arrangement, Kris! Although I'm not ready for fall, I'm adjusting to the idea. ;) Temps here have been unseasonably cool for August, so some leaves are looking fall-ish. All point to the inevitable, alas. It is entirely possible that we could have a frost within a month, yikes! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frost has never been a problem here but I can appreciate what it means to you, Eliza. I noticed that leaves are suddenly en masse falling from our ornamental pear tree but, as they're brown and crispy, I think that's a heatwave effect.

      Delete
  15. These colours really say autumn Kris, and I love that hibiscus foliage in the first arrangement. I thought it was acer leaves! The dahlias are lovely, especially that last one, but the sunflowers are the stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree that the sunflowers really stole the show this week, Cathy!

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.