Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Summer botanic garden highlights

When I visited South Coast Botanic Garden in late July, my focus was the new pollinator garden but that doesn't mean I entirely ignored the rest of the garden.  Even in the early morning hours, it was hot so I didn't try to cover all 87 acres; however, I did stop to take photos here and there.  These are the best of them.

This shot of kids running across the upper meadow captures what's best about summer

The palm circle, near the front entrance, had recently been refreshed to fit the season

 

 

Construction of the new children's garden, scheduled to open on a date yet to be determined in 2024, is still underway and many areas are blocked off.

Since my last visit, the focus seems to have shifted from bringing in additional soil to grading the new area

 

Many of the most attention-grabbing sights were flowering trees and tree-sized shrubs.

NoID Acacia in the parking lot

Albizia julibrissin (aka mimosa tree)

All the Jacarandas, trees Southern California is known for, bloomed late this year, presumably due to the unusually long stretch of cooler temperatures

White-flowered Lagerstroemia (aka crape myrtle) line one edge of the rose garden

NoID Senna or Cassia - I don't know enough about them to judge which is which

One of my personal favorites, Tithonia divesifolia (aka tree marigold and Mexican sunflower)

 

 Despite the heat, there were other flowers scattered about.

Just about all the plants in the Fuchsia Garden were blooming

Dahlias were planted in the Garden for the Senses this year.  With the changes planned for other areas of the garden, I'm wondering if the Garden for the Senses will be supplanted.

A wide shot of the rose garden promenade


I didn't spend much time in the Desert Garden on this occasion but I didn't ignore succulent plants altogether.

The Living Wall

This area between the parking lot and the garden's formal entrance was particularly colorful with Crassula perfoliata faltata (aka propeller plant) and Euphorbia milii (aka crown of thorns) in full bloom

 

In a recent Instagram post, SCBG reported that the Pollination Garden's phase one planting is now in full bloom.  I hope to get back there for a second spin by the end of this month.



All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party


24 comments:

  1. Those Jacarandas are so beautiful. Usually trees bloom in pinks, reds and white so blue really pops. It will be interesting to see how the garden changes. I have heard that public/botanic gardens need to shake things up frequently to continue to bring in visitors. Hopefully no rides in it's future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved Jacarandas, Elaine. They're very messy trees so placement is key - my in-laws bought a house in a development decades ago that used them as street trees, which effectively kept people from parking in front of their house, a win-win! (The flowers make a sticky mess of car paint.) I still have my dwarf tree, which once again hasn't bloomed, but the tree itself is looking better and I haven't had the heart to replace it.

      Delete
  2. This post reminds me I haven't been to our botanic garden since the spring. Road construction has been keeping me away but that means missing too many great scenes like you've posted. Love that living wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The living wall is apparently maintained by the outside contractor that installed it. They're doing a good job of keeping it up.

      Delete
  3. The kids running in the grass is a lovely photo. I'm impressed that both had their hats on :-D
    The Acacia in the parking lot has a dreamy appearance about it... like a water color. So beautiful.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Acacia had me thinking it might be a good tree on the south end of my garden, where I'd love to block the view of a neighboring home. I've yet to find the perfect replacement for the lovely native Toyon I lost to the pathogen that causes sudden death in oaks and certain other plants.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! Any time spent in a botanical garden is special. That Acacia is so fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Acacia looked great, Beth. I regretted my failure to get a closeup photo.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think that's the best the palm circle has ever looked, Loree. They struck the right balance with the plants (and removed the displays that advertise other garden exhibits).

      Delete
  6. Nice to have that so close to you, especially since they seem now to have some budget to work with--hopefully to showcase plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The descriptions of the children's garden currently in development sound promising, HB. They raise the money the project requires in advance, which worked well in the case of the rose garden. However, the long-awaited replacement/revival of the garden's former lake seems endlessly stalled. The challenges of that project are admittedly considerable but I'd rather see a lake than another DiscOasis ;)

      Delete
  7. Amei as dicas. Parabéns pelo site. Aquele abraço!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the flowering trees and shrubs. That's one category a large public garden can really do well because they have the space.

    Many species formerly included in Cassia are now in Senna. This includes popular garden plants like Senna artemisioides, Senna didymobotrya, and Senna phyllodinea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of SCBG's original trees - and large shrubs too I imagine - came from the LA Arboretum. LA County owns the land on which both botanic gardens sit, although the primary responsibility for running SCBG now belongs to the SCBG Foundation.

      I read that the Cassia genus now includes just 30 species whereas Senna has 300+; however, I couldn't find any source that helped me differentiate the 2 classifications. I couldn't find a label for that plant onsite.

      Delete
  9. Gosh, that Acacia is just otherworldly! I'd like to lose myself in that fluffy foliage... And, to even think of of something with the description of "tree marigold" tickles the imagination. California really is a wonderland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Mediterranean climate offers both opportunities and limitations ;)

      Delete
  10. The Acacia is beautiful! What a lovely garden, you need to go back and cover the entire 87 acres for us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've probably covered all 87 acres over the course of the years I've been blogging in widely scattered posts, tz. Pre-pandemic, I was a docent there leading tours (most of which involved schoolchildren). Much of the garden is currently closed off due to the garden's massive construction project so it's not so fun to wander now, even excluding the issue of the heat. It'll be interesting to wander the garden once construction is done with, especially as I discovered that SCBG has removed its map from its website, possibly signifying all sorts of changes to how areas are used.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I was somewhat surprised to see them. Susie. SCBG used to have a dedicated dahlia garden but they gave that up when they installed the butterfly pavilion 3 years ago. The raised beds of the Garden for the Senses is a good growing location, although I'm not sure it fits the original theme set for that area but then change is in the air throughout the entire garden.

      Delete
  12. That Tithonia diversifolia gets my vote too! Beautiful. That Acacia reminds me of the Palo Verde trees we just saw in Texas and Mexico, but it looks much more dense and floriferous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's some possibility that what I identified as an Acacia IS a Palo Verde tree, Jerry. My cell phone's plant ID function at least showed that as another possibility. I hope to get a closeup photo of the tree's flowers on my next visit to see if that helps in clarifying its identity.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.