Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The scruffy side of summer

As mentioned in my last post, my garden has slid into the summer doldrums, taking the gardener with it.  There's no better symbol of the reasons for that than the Agapanthus.  They bloomed later than usual this year and arrived en masse.  In mid-July they were looking pretty good.

This was the collage of Agapanthus photos I included in my July Bloom Day post

This photo was taken around the same time, showing off the blue Agapanthus in one segment of my back garden border

 

As the month progressed and heat intensified, the flowers that bloomed together began to rapidly die off together.

Here's what that same area of the back garden border looked like on July 31st

Some of the Agapanthus closest to the driveway in the front garden died off even earlier

 

I cut down the scruffy stems in the front garden last week, although the blooms shown in the background of the prior shot have declined since that photo was taken and they still need to be removed.  However, I tackled the scruffy collection in the back garden yesterday.  I'd estimate that I cut down over one hundred stems.  I still have more to remove but I put the rest off when the temperature climbed into the upper 80sF.

This is the area of the back garden border I cleared.  I left 2 presentable blooms in place and stripped the flowers and seedpods from 16 other stems to provide interest.

Frankly, the bare stems don't show up well against the green hedge behind them.  I'm not going to spray paint them but perhaps I'll use the stems in another floral arrangement before I remove them (assuming the gardeners don't beat me to that.)

 

There are still isolated stems producing new blooms but we're on the trailing end of the season for the Agapanthus.

Agapanthus 'Elaine', planted 2-3 years ago from a 4-inch pot, is always late to bloom.  It's notable for its inky blue color.

 

Earlier in July, I tackled another plant that needed pruning.

This was the Helichrysum thianschanicum 'Icicles' I highlighted in my June Bloom Day post.  I usually don't allow it to bloom at all but I decided I liked the pale yellow flowers against the silvery foliage.

The flowers eventually turned a mustard brown I didn't much care for.  In addition, the plant grew so wide I couldn't walk along the flagstone path except by stepping into the bed on the right so I used the battery-operated pruner my husband gave me for my birthday and cut it down to size.


 

Meanwhile, the daylilies are throwing in the towel; the flowers of the Salvia clevelandii are rapidly transitioning from bright blue to brown; and the Argyranthemums in the back garden look like they've been toasted.

Argyranthemum frutescens (aka marguerite daisy) is a short-lived perennial in my climate.  It often comes back for a second year but that doesn't look likely in the case of the 'White Butterfly' variety in the center of this shot.  The smaller 'Yellow Grandaisy' in front of it looks only slightly more promising and I've already tossed out the 'Red Grandaisy' in my cutting garden. 

 

Even some succulents in my cutting garden have been scorched.

Aeonium haworthii 'Kiwi' generally holds up well in full sun even during its summer dormancy but the plants at the front of the display (left) burned up - I've never seen that happen before.  I pulled the scorched plants out but left the self-seeded purslane weed (Portulaca oleracea) where it was.  Also known as "tasty weed", purslane is edible.  If I'd noticed the scorched Aeoniums earlier, I'd have transplanted the purslane I pulled elsewhere to fill in this area.


 

It's hard to find joy in my garden right now.  The dahlias will no doubt change my outlook when they arrive - I'm finding more buds on the plants every day - but for now I'll share this bright spot.

I don't remember planting Dieties grandiflora (aka fortnight lily and African iris) but, if I did, it was years ago and it disappeared until this year's rain resurrected it


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

18 comments:

  1. Loved the title of this post as that is how it feels here. I've done so little weeding or deadheading because of the heat and drought. A few things are blooming, including my Agapanthus. It has 5 flowers and I'm thrilled. Trying to not be jealous of all your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours appears to be the perfect climate for Agapanthus given their widespread prevalence here. While I appreciate the mass of flowers when they arrive, their mass decline is a little hard to take.

      Delete
  2. this all feels very familiar, the late July/August doldrums in a zone 10 dry summer. Thankfully September/Oct is just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, Denise. Growing dahlias has been a silver lining to the late summer season but those flowers are very late this year...

      Delete
  3. Summer scorch is full on here as well. We're getting a few days of lower temps until this weekend triple digit blast. I think dead heading the agapanthus was preferable to spray painting them, lol! Thank you for the push of motivation to get out there today while it's comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're apparently headed back into peak heatwave temperatures this weekend too, tz. Ugh! If only I could get myself to get outside at 5:30am but I've yet to manage that.

      Delete
  4. The beautiful blues! Thanks for this colorful post; it really cheered me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is always something beautiful to see but sometimes you have to look past the ugly first. Walking around my veggie garden the other day I kept seeing weeds everywhere "what a mess' but when I looked up and over the whole thing it's really quite beautiful. Just gotta get past the shabby parts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100 Agapanthus stems to cut! I added more warm-season annuals this year for that "summer slump"--it has helped . One comfortable day today (Thursday) but another hot weekend to endure. Oh, boy. At least we have a garden to get toasted--so many do not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point, HB. I added more annuals myself, albeit later than would've been ideal. And I'm still waiting for the first of my darn dahlias to bloom. I have fears that we'll get an intense heatwave at the worst possible time :(

      Delete
  7. "It's hard to find joy in my garden right now" is a shared sentiment, despite my dark foliage Dahlias that are blooming like crazy. It's simply too hot and sunny. Agapanthus bare stems should look great in a flower arrangement as they did last Monday, and I wonder how they'd do dried up, featured in a dry arrangement.
    Good job on 'Icicles'. It's emotional to process, but so good for the plant (and whoever walks on the path...).
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September should be better - we just need to get through August, Chavli ;) I was worried that I might have taken the pruning of 'Icicles' too far but it seems to be holding its own under the intense sun. If I can find that Helichrysum in the local garden centers again, I'm going to buy more plants - it's a winner!

      Delete
  8. Talking with a friend yesterday I was reminded of the cycles of the garden life, of just how horrid my garden was this spring. With a lot of hard work on my part, and the addition of sunshine and heat, it has come roaring back and is making me very happy. I have confidence yours will again too, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to remember that, Loree. As Elaine said, the trick is to look beyond the ugly. But I'm a "fixer" in most aspects of my life, gardening included, and it's hard for me to let the ugly be, even if just for awhile.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to read you have electric pruners... do you use them on the agapanthus stems, too? I can't imagine doing them individually, you have so many! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would maker things easier but it'd be detrimental to the evergreen foliage of the Agapanthus, Eliza. I cut the stalks down as close to the base of the plant as possible and the pruner isn't small or manageable enough to allow this. I usually cut the Agapanthus in smaller batches but the majority seemed to reach the scruffy stage all at once this year.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.