Friday, April 28, 2023

Stopping in at Sherman Gardens

The trip a friend and I took to the South Coast Plaza Spring Garden Show last weekend was disappointing and we spent far less time there than we have in the past.  So, after an early lunch, we headed to Sherman Library & Gardens in nearby Corona del Mar.  It was a beautiful day with perfect weather, although the garden was very crowded.  We were lucky to find a parking spot on the street.

I've visited the gardens many times before.  Here's what drew my attention this time.

The Central Garden is replanted several times a year so there's almost always something new to see.  This time the beds surrounding the  middle of the display included a relatively monochromatic mix of Nemesia, Gerbera daisies, and foxgloves.  The Hippeastrum on the podium looked like 'Luna' to me but I didn't try to verify that. 

These plants were featured in the Mediterranean Garden.  The plant on the upper right is Sonchus palmensis, a giant relative of the humble dandelion.  Mine didn't bloom last year but it's looking promising this year.  The 2 Leucospermums shown in the bottom row attracted a lot of attention from visitors.

The Bromeliad Garden looked far sparser than I remember and I'm guessing that it was undergoing renovation

The Sun Garden was planted with lots of poppies this April

The statues, previously part of the Sun Garden, are currently part of the Formal Garden.  The way the pedestals were placed, some with plants hanging from their mid-sections, suggested ancient ruins.

The orchid display drew my attention.  All but one in this group were Cymbidiums.  I couldn't identify the one on the left in the middle row.

I'm in love with this rock orchid, which a friend who volunteers at this garden identified for me as Dendrobium speciosum.  I haven't found it in stock anywhere yet but I've put it on my wish list with one orchid grower.  If I find it, its cost may put it out of bounds but we shall see.

The Tropical Conservatory was especially hot and humid on this visit but the koi fish and turtles in the pond weren't bothered

The Tillandsia-covered flamingo stood just outside the entrance to the conservatory, which sported Medinella magnifica (lower left), as well as a variety of orchids

These shots were taken in the Specimen Shade Garden.  I was attracted to the pretty yellow Azalea.  There was a tag but I didn't catch the name.  It may be Rhododendron atlanticum x austrinum.  The begonias were looking a little sad but, due to the cooler temperatures we've had, that's true of many of mine as well.

While I saw only 2 of the mannequins dressed in flowers and greenery I'd expected at the South Coast Plaza Garden show, I was surprised to run into this one in Sherman's Tea Garden.  I expect the majority of the mannequins are displayed in the fashion-focused segment of South Coast Plaza, across the street from the mall area that hosted the garden show.

These photos were taken in the Succulent Garden, as were those in the next 3 collages

Plant IDs for many of the plants in this and other areas of the garden can now be found in the Fantastic Flora section of Sherman Garden's website

Agave attentuata 'Variegata' (left) and A. 'Sun Glow' (right)

I immediately fixated on this Agave in the late stages of its bloom/death cycle.  Its base had declined to the point that I can't ID it, although it looks like a larger version of the Agave below it, which I believe is Agave potatorum 'Kichiokan' (aka dwarf butterfly agave).  Instead of bulbils (plantlets), it's developed large seedpods.  I suppose it could be a Mangave of some kind but, if so, it's not one I recognize.

These are shots of plants I noticed that didn't fit neatly into any of the named garden areas.  Clockwise from the upper left: Abutilon, Hippeastrum, and 2 Japanese maples.

 

It's interesting to see how this garden changes from one visit to the next.  As it happens, I published a post on Sherman Gardens almost exactly a year ago.  If you're interested in drawing your own comparisons, you can view that post here.

That's it from me this week.  I'm struggling to keep up with my own garden as the weather warms.  The morning marine layer returned this week so we haven't had temperatures as hot as those we experienced last Friday but it's been warm enough to prompt more blooms and more weeds just as most of the bulb blooms head for the exit.  It's keeping me busy!


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

21 comments:

  1. Glorious looking garden. Love those bright hedges in the formal garden. what a pleasure after the poor showing at the garden show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bright hedges are made up of Ligustrum sinense "Sunshine' which has stood up well at Sherman. I don't recall seeing the shrub in local nurseries but it's supposed to be suitable to our climate and drought tolerant.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you were able to redeem your journey to the South Coast 'garden' show with a visit to the Sherman. The SF show was cancelled this year due to alleged facility scheduling conflicts. Since dates and a venue were never announced at all I suspect the negative response to last years event made inability to attract vendors , speakers and garden designers was the real culprit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your theory is correct, Kathy, it's sad that the organizers of the event didn't focus their attention on the underlying reasons the previous show received negative press. In the case of South Coast Plaza's show, I suspect the current organizers could care less about how the show resonates with gardeners. However, as shopping in brick and mortar stores is on a precipitous decline, I'd think it was in the retailers best interest to draw in people from as many different communities as they could. I used to shop malls regularly but that ground to a virtual half even before the pandemic.

      Delete
    2. In my opinion the SF show will never rebound unless it's sold off to another event company. As far as malls are concerned, I never go to one unless absolutely necessary.

      Delete
  3. That blooming agave is very interesting, thanks for sharing several photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask my garden volunteer friend if she knows the back story of that agave. There was another plant nearby that appeared to be the same species but it'd was almost entirely dried up.

      Delete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful garden. I love that yellow azalea or rhododendron? The flowers are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Azaleas are considered part of the Rhododendron family. The deciduous Azaleas seem to be prevalent in the southeastern parts of the country but I've never seen them here, although SoCal garden centers don't carry many deciduous plants other than some trees.

      Delete
  5. In posts I've seen of the Sherman garden there is heavy focus on the wonderful desert garden. Today though, I was charmed by the poppy-filled sun garden: an instant mood elevator that made me smile. I Love poppies!
    I also enjoyed the Formal Garden, which unlike many formal gardens, isn't overly manicured. Maybe they just didn't get to it yet, but I love it in its slightly 'shaggy' state.
    And finally, in the Tropical Conservatory: someone took the time to plant a small fern in a pocket of one of the rocks surrounding the pond. Love that attention to details.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherman Gardens has a LOT of dedicated volunteers and, based on what I've heard, many of them appear to specialize in selected areas. The Formal Garden has been undergoing a series of revisions I think. For a very long time, it was primarily a rose garden, pretty if a little boring.

      Delete
  6. They change Sherman plantings quite a lot and that helps keep what is a small BG interesting. Whole lotta pink in that central area!

    I checked my old photos of a late '22 visit and it appears the bloomed-out Agave was another 'Kissho Kan'. It was just starting to send up its stalk then.

    That Dendrobium is something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though I like monochromatic floral arrangements, I thought the planting in the Central Garden could have used just a bit of white to kick it up a notch. Thanks for the ID on the blooming agave. I can't say I've ever seen seed pods like that on an agave, not that I've seen all that many of them in bloom. As to the Dendrobium, I'm in love, although I'll bet it takes decades to get them to the size of those at Sherman - it looks like most are offered in 2- and 4-inch sizes, when they're available.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, that looks like a delightful place to shop! Love the ponds, turtles, fish, and waterlilies. I'd be tempted to spend hours there--very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tiny botanic garden, just over 2 acres, but it's definitely worth visiting if you're ever in the area, Beth. And Roger's Gardens, a large destination garden center, is less than a mile away ;)

      Delete
  8. The one and only time we have visited was this past Christmas. It must be a delight to watch the garden change through all the seasons. We certainly enjoyed the cactus and succulent collection the best. I wonder why! And there was a beautiful blooming camellia and a very nice gift shop. I lived a stones throw from there in the 80s but never knew about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had the opportunity to visit Sherman Gardens, Jenny. Although small, it's packed with wonderful plants.

      Delete
  9. Seeing a post about Sherman Gardens always brings a smile to my face. A lot of work goes into maintaining it to such high standards.

    Sparse bromeliad garden: Maybe they lost a bunch of plants this winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to ask my friend Kay (who volunteera there) what happened with the bromeliad bed. My recollection is that it's been densely planted every other time I visited. It can't have been any colder there than it was in my area - I lost some begonias but no bromeliads.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.