Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Prettier than plastic

My trip to South Coast Botanic Garden last week was focused on the garden's new 'Washed Ashore' exhibit of sculptures created from plastic materials that end up in our oceans, only to be spewed up on beaches.  (You can view that post here.)  This post picks up the where that one left off, focusing on what else is going on at that botanic garden this spring.


I'll start off with the plants that caught my attention as I walked through the  garden.

The coral aloes (Aloe striata) were in full bloom

SCBG has humongous Brugmansias

I think these Ceanothus are the cultivar called 'Dark Star', a particularly vivid blue variety

The Echium candicans near the garden's amphitheater were looking especially beautiful

Another view

This section of the California garden was shining with a noID Euphorbia and Encelia californica (aka bush sunflower)

The coral trees (Erythrina caffra) were all coming into bloom

As were the California poppies (Eschscholzia californica)

This tree fuchsia (Fuchsia arborescens) had a head start on the smaller plants in the Fuchsia Garden

These Kalanchoe beharensis (aka velvet-leaf, felt bush and elephant's ear) appeared to have grown from trunks growing along the ground.  They're the healthiest specimens I've seen in years.

I've no idea what these shrubs are but they were splashy

The tropical greenhouse featured these Phalaenopsis (aka moth orchids)

Raphiolepsis indica (aka Indian hawthorn) are considered ordinary here but they're pretty in an informal mass like this

I always check out the Wisteria growing atop the arbor in this area adjacent to the Japanese Garden but, as I walked around the larger garden, I was surprised by just how much Wisteria there was to be found.

As in my own garden, the calla lilies (Zantedeschia aethiopica) were at their best


 

Construction of the new Children & Family Garden, slated to open sometime in 2024, is underway, disrupting the flow of the garden and eliminating access to some areas but the staff made one change since my last visit that I think is helpful.

The truck drivers were working hard resculpting the area for the new garden.  Access to my favorite Banyan Grove is very limited.

There were no signs up to explain the work-in-progress back in February, when I last visited.  Now there are several attached to the area that's been fenced off.  The bottom 2 signs are artistic renderings of the future space, which among other things will include a view from above the fig (banyan) trees.

 

I'd been told that SCBG's propagation area had been closed and was to be eliminated but, on this occasion, I noticed signs that it was still in use.

I didn't see anyone working there but there were plenty of plants in pots and it's hard to believe that no one's tended them since the propagation team was furloughed during the pandemic

 

The garden didn't have a fall plant sale and I've heard nothing about the prospects for a spring sale.  With all the construction activity, maybe the staff doesn't want to complicate things by holding a sale but it's always brought in a lot of people so I find it surprising if they've shelved it.  On the other hand, without an active propagation team, perhaps they don't have the plants to offer.  There are plants available for sale near the exit but frankly I wasn't impressed by what was on offer, or the prices.

I was incredulous that they were selling a very common succulent cutting in a 2-inch pot for $4.  All the cuttings in 2-inch pots seemed to be priced the same way.

 

Next Up: My Bloom Day post, which I expect to publish on Friday, assuming I can get my photos together.  With all the rain we've had, it's an epic April for the blooms in my garden.


All material © 2012-2023 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party

22 comments:

  1. So pretty and so many things I can't grow. I do have a tiny Indian hawthorn that is just sitting there. I wonder if the yellow flower is potentilla?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I zoomed in on the flowers and foliage in my photo of the yellow-flowered shrub and I don't think it's a Potentilla. According to my Sunset guide, we're also out of the range for the shrubby varieties. Too bad, as I love that plant.

      Delete
    2. possibly Jasmine nudiflorum?

      Delete
    3. I looked that jasmine up. The shrubs I saw didn't have the vining structure its reputed to have. My phone's ID function suggested Coronilla velentina (aka scorpion vetch), which is an evergreen Mediterranean shrub and fits the size of those I photographed but I'd have to get another look at the flowers to see if those match. If only the garden would update its labeling!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, I love the moth orchids with moss. Can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I'm overwhelmed by the floral count in my garden this month, tz ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, to see Brugmansia growing in a zone it can thrive in; the orange Clivia blooms skirting the bottom are just the cherries on that cake.
    I adore the saturation of Erythrina blooms... they are spectacular.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't all that successful growing Brugmansia in my own garden, although a neighbor has managed to keep a large specimen alive in her garden. I don't think mine got the water it wanted :(

      Delete
  4. The mass of Echium is spectucular. Have never really noticed the nice textural partnership between the flower spikes and the fine soft-looking foliage. Gorgeous! The new signs for the children's garden will help soften the devastation that always precedes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought adding the signs was a very good move on SCBG's part. I do hope they meet their goal and complete it sometime in 2024, though!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. You wouldn't be jealous at the moment, Loree. We've had a persistent morning marine layer for several days now. It's odd in that the marine layer isn't usually a "thing" in April. There are names for the marine layer in May and June and even July and August but there's no name for it in April ;)

      Delete
  6. Well, they are trying, I guess.

    Brugmansia needed astounding amounts of water in my garden so I got rid of it. The plant is still trying to come back from the roots years later.

    "Epic" is the right word for April flowers this year, and many plants have not even started yet. I might split the BD post into several.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried growing Brugmansia in a extra large pot because I thought I could manage its water requirements that way but wasn't happy with what I considered "extra" water.

      Re GBBD, I considered splitting my post into pieces too and then decided, what the heck, and threw everything in but the proverbial kitchen sink. As it is, there are other plants on the the verge of casting off so I figure a late-April blooms post could follow.

      Delete
  7. As Hoover said, they're trying. I'd prefer plant sales over almost anything else, but I assume their decisions are driven my market research?

    Glad to see a photo of mature Encelia californica specimens. I've only ever seen it in nurseries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they relied on market research to nix the plant sales, I'd be very surprised, Gerhard. If you'd like to see a much larger display of Encelia californica shrubs, you should visit the Madrona Marsh in Torrance during the spring.

      Delete
  8. The rain you've had is evident in the garden, looking great! Eliza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was a minor miracle, at least here in SoCal, which doesn't face the same level of flooding risk due to snow melt as the temperature rises, Eliza.

      Delete
  9. If I could get Echium to look like that at the top, I would actually consider growing them. Very cool Fuchsia arborescens, would not have figured that one out - very different from the fuchsias I am used to.
    The saddest part for me is the potential loss of the propagation side of things. I walk through some pretty amazing gardens up here and I always wonder why they aren't propagating some of the more unusual plants. Maybe some of these places could contract with a local nursery for propagation services. The nurseries could propagate the plants and sell them, with a portion of the proceeds going back to the SCBG. Very little investment on SCBGs part, they just need to find a propagator that won't overcollect or ruin plant form when taking material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather disturbed by the loss of an active propagation unit at SCBG, as well as the disappearance of their plant sales. I understand the garden's need to appeal to a wide variety of visitors via special events but I think that propagating their plants and selling them to the local community is also a key service. Maybe they'll resurrect in-house propagation at some point but I've yet to hear anything to indicate that. The majority of the plants at their last sale in spring 2022 were supplied by one of the larger growers. Whether they were donated or offered at a discount, most weren't much of a bargain or particularly unusual. Many of the most unusual plants in my garden originally came from SCBG sales and aren't commonly available elsewhere. An arrangement like you describe would be a good move but I'm not sure the leadership focuses on deals like that. Apologies for the rant ;)

      Delete
  10. I have the same happy memories attached to many of my plants bought at the annual plant sales, or seeds for members, from Kirstenbosch. Now it is easier to get locally indigenous at some nurseries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of the plants I've obtained from SCBG during former sales are seldom, if ever, found elsewhere. Off the top of my head those include plants with a major presence in my garden like Barleria obtusa, Globularia, Salvia africana-lutea, and S. lanceolata. Maybe I should take up the slack and propagate them to share ;)

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.