Friday, April 22, 2022

April Visit to Sherman Gardens

A friend and I paid a visit to Sherman Library & Gardens last week.  I've been there many times but this was my friend's first visit.  Located in Corona del Mar, it's very small as botanic gardens go, just over two acres in size.  It's set in the middle of a very lively business district along the Pacific Coast Highway, close to the Newport Beach Civic Center.  Even through small, it packs a punch as it's beautifully maintained.  Areas are redesigned on a regular basis so there's almost always something new to see.

We entered via the back parking lot into the Central Garden.

The area surrounding the fountain was planted with Anemones

Clockwise from the upper left, other floral highlights in the area included Digiplexis, Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Red Velvet Scoop', and Itoh peonies.  I don't have an ID for the pink peony but a friend confirmed that the blush-colored variety is 'Julia Rose'.  I took a ridiculous number of photos of the peonies because I'm obsessed with them despite nearly zero success growing anything in the genus.

 

We followed a zig-zag path through the garden, moving to the Succulent Garden next but you can get a better sense of the garden's overall layout by referring to its online interactive map, which you can find here.

Three views of one area featuring Agaves, bromeliads, and decorative rock

Smaller succulents (left) sit underneath a massive tree aloe I failed to capture.  The area on the right is home to 2 large Euphorbias and an impressive Mangave in the foreground.

In this area,  the candelabra tree, Euphorbia ingens (I think), reigns over a host of barrel cactus and other succulents
 
Always on the lookout for flowers, I spotted this flowering cactus in a shady corner.  I think it's a rat tail cactus (Aporophyllum flagelliformis).


We emerged from the Succulent Garden into the Tea Garden.  An outdoor class was in session so we skirted around the edges of the area.  My friend was attracted to a colorful shrub under a shade structure.

This plant, Brunfelsia pauciflora, goes by the common name of the yesterday-today-and-tomorrow plant because its flowers change in color from one day to the next.  There were several of these shrubs in the area, mixed in with Fuchsias and other shade-loving plants.

After checking out the plants for sale outside the gift shop, vowing to go back there before we left, we toured the Specimen Shade Garden.

Sherman has a large collection of Begonias, many of which were blooming

However, the display that attracted my attention on this occasion were the palms studded with airplants (Tillandsia) of various kinds

A closer look at the Tillandsias affixed to each palm trunk.  I'm not even going to try to identify individual species.

We stopped by the Mediterranean Climate Garden next.

This plant perplexed me.  It reminded me of aspects of both Callistemons (aka bottlebrush) and Grevilleas but I was sure it was neither.  A friend who volunteers with Sherman offered an ID: Calothamnus quadrifidus, an Australian native commonly known as the one-sided bottlebrush.

I was also unable to identify the rangy plant at the center of the photo on the upper left.  It reminded me of Lobelia laxiflora.  My volunteer friend identified it as Lobelia excelsia.  The photo on the upper right shows the flowers of a burgundy-foliaged Dyckia.  The bottom photos are of carnivorous plants, including flowers of a Sarracena.

I snapped a couple of photos of bromeliads in the area next to the carnivorous plant display

 

We spent a good amount of time in the Tropical Conservatory, one of my favorite spots.

The woman at the entrance booth had identified Medinillia magnifica, an epiphyte native to the Philippines, as a "must-see" plant and we had no problem spotting it.  I was so enamored by the plant the first time I saw it years ago, I bought one by mail order.  My plant is a couple of years old now but it hasn't bloomed yet and it's foliage doesn't look this good.  I suspect it wants more humidity than my garden provides!

More pics taken from inside the Tropical Conservatory

 

As we headed back in the direction of the gift shop, we checked out the Formal Garden and the Sun Garden.

At one time this area was a rose garden.  This year the Formal Garden is comprised of edible plants with a center display of artichokes.  I'm not sure what the plan is for the structure under construction.

The Sun Garden isn't as flashy as it's been in prior years but at least Sherman, the garden's otter mascot, is back with his hose in hand.  Planted with relatively common plants, it shows how locals can create an attractive but fairly low-maintenance garden.  The Schizanthus pinnatus (aka poor man's orchid) on the lower right is in an adjacent area.  This was one of my favorite flowers at one time but I haven't seen it in years.

 

I hadn't planned on buying any plants but I couldn't help myself.

Philodendron 'Birkin' (left), one of the "it" house plants, was sold for a price that didn't make me choke.  I picked up Tillandsia 'Spirit' (left) just because it seems I can never have enough Tillandsias.

We had a nice lunch on the patio of a nearby restaurant and made a relatively brief stop (by my standards) at Roger's Garden, one of my favorite garden centers, before heading home.  On a weekday, it's best to get on the freeway before 3pm to avoid getting mired in Southern California's notoriously heavy traffic.


All material © 2012-2022 by Kris Peterson for Late to the Garden Party




14 comments:

  1. The garden is looking fantastic. That cactus is gorgeous. What a nice way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the drive, it's a great place to spend a couple of hours, Elaine. And there are nice restaurants and a great garden center nearby too.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a grand visit, I enjoyed this overview. Someday I hope to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it, Loree. You also might like the large and very spiky garden surrounding the Newport Beach Civic Center, which probably isn't much more than half a mile away.

      Delete
  3. It looks very nicely maintained and artfully designed. That one-sided bottlebrush is fascinating. It seems like the hummingbirds would like it, as they seem to like similar plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I expect the hummingbirds like the Calothamnus. I like it too but I've no idea where I would put it even if I could find one.

      Delete
  4. Changed already from when I visited a few weeks ago. The "I'm not sure what the plan is for the structure under construction." building was fashioned as a train station with the model railroad display sited in front of it. Guess that was temporary.

    The Medinillia magnifica is magnifica--a steamy conservatory for plants like that is an off-and-on dream of so many of us dry climate (or cold climate) gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that the April heatwave was hard on Sherman Gardens too and that the volunteers did some replanting as a result. I was also told that the structure now in the Formal Garden has been used for various purposes but my source didn't recall what its intended purpose is this time.

      I just checked my records and determined that my Medinilla isn't M. magnifica but rather M. myriantha, which isn't quite as showy. I think the Medinilla Sherman has near the back entry may be the same as mine. Interestingly, its foliage also looked like the foliage on mine (tip-burned).

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tour, Kris. Looks like a lovely place to wander around for a few hours and everything looks so well cared for. I am amazed that they can grow Itoh peonies in that part of the world. Were they in pots or in the ground? (If in pots, I had wondered if they might be over-wintered somewhere cooler).

    Calothamnus quadrifidus is an extremely tough plant. My mother grew it in her previous garden on a windy hill in terrible clay soil. It received zero water and didn't skip a beat! And the birds love it.

    Do you have an ID on the yellow foliage plant underneath the potted burgundy bromeliad? They look good contrasted together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Sherman Gardens is very close to the ocean and generally far cooler than my own property but they change out the plants in their Central Garden frequently and my guess is that the Itoh peonies will either go into their greenhouse or go home with some happy volunteers once they stop flowering. I also thing they were all in raised planting beds. While my own, now MIA Itoh didn't thrive in the ground here, my friend Hoover Boo at Piece of Eden has been able to grow them in her garden, which is arguably as hot or hotter than mine during the summer months.

    Maybe the Calothamnus would be happy on my back slope, assuming I ever find one. I love that piney foliage.

    I think the plant you're referring to next to the burgundy Dyckia is Euphorbia 'Dean's Hybrid', which I grow on my back slope. It has small chartreuse bracts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour Kris. It looks a most interesting garden to visit with a gardening friend. Why is The Tea Garden named so? Glad to hear that a garden centre visit was thrown into the mix on the way home. Always rounds up the day so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have - or had - a kitchen that operated on that patio that provided crepes and other light lunch fare and, presumably, tea and other beverages. It's possible the name was also related to the Camellias that grow in the area, although I always assumed it was due to the food service they offered. Their on-site restaurant on the main patio has probably eclipsed whatever food service they provide in the Tea Garden.

      Delete
  8. Always a pleasure to visit here with you, Kris. They pack a lot into a little space. I love how the succulent garden looks like a huge mosaic tile floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that design in the succulent garden was very popular when it was introduced years ago. I understand that the designer (I can't remember his name off-hand) returns periodically to refresh it.

      Delete

I enjoy receiving your comments and suggestions! Google has turned on reCAPTCHA affecting some commentator IDs so, if you wish to identify yourself, please add your name to your comment.